Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Yac Yac started this thread

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times

Advertisements

Steam users, I need your help! This is the 2nd time this has happened to me and to be honest, it's getting ridiculous. I bought a regular, retail copy of a game. It connects with Steam - and I don't have a problem with that, I have most of my games on Steam anyway. The problem is - it won't install from the dvd. Steam recognizes the game, accepts the unique code, everything seems fine .. up to the moment when it starts downloading the game instead of installing it. 11.5 GB in this case, to be exact.To make matters worse- after it downloaded (which took 2 days btw, don't know why) - the game crashes on startup. No specific message, just that it stopped responding.
The game is Saints Row 2 (it's not that great of a game but I bought it for 5$ ).
Now I googled around, found some solutions (like closing steam and using the windows command line to force the install from the disc - it's in the steam faq) but not one of those methods worked.
I'd appreciate any insight.
Yac.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,744,746 times
I'd go to Game -> Properties - > Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Steam users, I need your help! This is the 2nd time this has happened to me and to be honest, it's getting ridiculous. I bought a regular, retail copy of a game. It connects with Steam - and I don't have a problem with that, I have most of my games on Steam anyway. The problem is - it won't install from the dvd. Steam recognizes the game, accepts the unique code, everything seems fine .. up to the moment when it starts downloading the game instead of installing it. 11.5 GB in this case, to be exact.To make matters worse- after it downloaded (which took 2 days btw, don't know why) - the game crashes on startup. No specific message, just that it stopped responding.
The game is Saints Row 2 (it's not that great of a game but I bought it for 5$ ).
Now I googled around, found some solutions (like closing steam and using the windows command line to force the install from the disc - it's in the steam faq) but not one of those methods worked.
I'd appreciate any insight.
Yac.
Only game I've ever bought retail that I could register on Steam was X3:Terran Conflict, and I experienced the same as you, and I'm on Satellite (not many cables out here in the Bush). Took a total of 15 hours, across 3 days (to use the unmetered period between 10pm and 3am). None of the workarounds worked either.

As for the issues you're seeing, it's most likely a hardware issue, for instance I've seen a number of games that need Pixel Shader 3.0 support that present the loading screen then bomb out. No message, no exception, just a "Hello", then vanishing off into the ether. That's the first place I'd look, make sure your graphics card fully supports the game requirements. If you post the graphics card you're using (and system specs), I can check it out against the SR2 requirements, if it will help.

Old 12-31-2011, 07:34 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Have you tried Steam's user forum?
Saints Row 2 - Steam Users' Forums

Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Yac Yac started this thread

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
I was sure this wasn't a hardware issue as I bought my pc recently and it's a top of the line model. I found the solution in the steam forums - turns out I had to run the dx9 installer for some single sound .dll file that was missing (even though I have dx11) and then I had to disable the 2nd monitor in the nvidia settings ...Intuitive....
I only now realized how many problems people have with Steam - I have I think 10 Steam games and apart from SR2, I never experienced any issues. It's quite frankly bizarre, one would think they had enough time to find and remove all these bugs ..
Yac.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
They probably make more money from problems when they suspend peoples accounts and they setup new ones and rebuy games. Steam is a scam. You should never need a 3rd party application to play a game or connect to a server.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
They probably make more money from problems when they suspend peoples accounts and they setup new ones and rebuy games. Steam is a scam. You should never need a 3rd party application to play a game or connect to a server.
You have no clue what you're talking about

Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM

I don't ?
So you SHOULD have have to connect through steam to run a single player game ?
So you SHOULD have to connect through steam to get to an independent server ?
So Steam does not close your account on a whim like they did with mine ?

YOU have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I don't ?
So you SHOULD have have to connect through steam to run a single player game ?
So you SHOULD have to connect through steam to get to an independent server ?
So Steam does not close your account on a whim like they did with mine ?

YOU have no idea what you are talking about.
I have many games I can play in "offline" mode
Just the way it works, is it that big of a deal? No it's not.
Been a member since 2004, never had a problem, Steam doesn't just randomly close accounts for no reason.

I'm curious as to why you use it if it's so horrible, glutton for punishment?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:29 PM

I have had several times when I couldnt play my games in offline mode.
Yes it is, you cant join a server half the time if Steam is having issues. You dont need a client to go from game to server.
Randomly, probably not. But with any issues they don't like you pressing they suspend your delete accounts. They did it with me because I bought a game that didn't work.

I don't use it anymore. I did use it because of Black Ops and I bought a few games around that time because they were cheap. I haven't bought a game since they suspended my account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games