Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:38 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,153,691 times

Advertisements

PC, for this reason alone:

You simply can't do this kind of stuff on consoles. The other reasons are also valid, but modding is the biggest one by far. Just a few hours ago, I created a little mod of my own. Since I've beaten the game legitimately several times now, I thought I'd have fun cheating a little, so I created a ridiculous multi-enchantment version of the assassin's armor that gave me 600% fortify enchantments for every single skill, stat, and regeneration rate. Unfortunately, console users won't get to do such cool things.

(For those who haven't played Skyrim or other TES games: A mod was created that allows the player to summon a powerful madgod to aid them in battle. It also modified a pre-existing meteor attack to drop wheels of goat cheese instead of meteors. CHEESE, FOR EVERYONE.)

Speaking of Skyrim, PC users of the game were at an extreme advantage when it came to certain kinds of bugs. When a quest got stuck or glitched on the 360 or PS3 versions, you are pretty much SOL. But on PC, it's extremely easy to open up the command console with ~ and force the quest to update.

Last edited by Lunar Delta; 03-18-2012 at 09:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 07:01 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,772,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Delta View Post
PC, for this reason alone:

You simply can't do this kind of stuff on consoles. The other reasons are also valid, but modding is the biggest one by far. Just a few hours ago, I created a little mod of my own. Since I've beaten the game legitimately several times now, I thought I'd have fun cheating a little, so I created a ridiculous multi-enchantment version of the assassin's armor that gave me 600% fortify enchantments for every single skill, stat, and regeneration rate. Unfortunately, console users won't get to do such cool things.

(For those who haven't played Skyrim or other TES games: A mod was created that allows the player to summon a powerful madgod to aid them in battle. It also modified a pre-existing meteor attack to drop wheels of goat cheese instead of meteors.
CHEESE, FOR EVERYONE.)

Speaking of Skyrim, PC users of the game were at an extreme advantage when it came to certain kinds of bugs. When a quest got stuck or glitched on the 360 or PS3 versions, you are pretty much SOL. But on PC, it's extremely easy to open up the command console with ~ and force the quest to update.
Plus with pc you can mod Skyrim to make it play your own music and you can make your own weapons. Can't do that on console.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM

Another reason why pc is better:

Skyrim Mod: Assault Rifle and Sub-MachineGun Revolution - YouTube

It would be like call of duty mixed with Skyrim

Old 11-20-2013, 02:00 PM

702 posts, read 729,649 times
1. I've used my current system for about 2 years with no upgrades. Obviously if I spent more I could get a new video card or mobo or more memory and run the newest Far Cry at max settings and have fluid dynamics or cloth simulation or whatever the newest gimmick is. Guess what, consoles can't do it either, especially on high resolutions and texture density. I have the option of paying more for a better experience. I don't have that for consoles.

2. Games are cheaper. I have over 500 PC games on Steam alone. I'm not saying they are all AAA titles, but when games are $5 for GOTY Edition with all the DLC on sale vs. $40 at Gamestop. The downside of that would be used game sales but I don't like giving away my games and it seems like the industry wants to do away with the secondary market anyways.

3. Mods. Obviously homebrew mods do a HUGE amount to increase the value of a game and the community and all that other stuff. Counter-Strike, DOTA, Team Fortress. Successful titles that started as someone's side project become some of the most played online games. Eventually consoles may start to merge with PC in this category but right now big developers release their mod tools and build huge communities on PC pretty much exclusively. Look at Bethseda games.

I loved playing Nintendo when I was small but as soon as I saw Worms, Duke Nukem, Team Fortress, Dues Ex, I was sold. The last console I owned was a Game Cube and that was only for Smash Brothers. Right now my gaming PC is connected to a monitor and has a second output to a large screen TV. If I want to play Mortal Kombat I switch the input and sit on the couch with a controller.

There really is no comparison unless you have zero computer knowledge and just want something plug and play (becoming less the case now with accounts and such for consoles and always on connections).

Old 11-20-2013, 03:23 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,449,974 times
Here is the cold hard reality for you folks, in general. Large game publishers will develop a game for the largest audience. That is why a PS3 (maybe more powerful than an xbox) games look the same.

The same has happened for PC. Who knows if XCOM UFO Defense would of looked/played like if it wasn't project managed to support consoles

So does a PC look better than console - not usually. Sometimes. .

But here is the thing I see. The new Consoles (Xbox one and PS4) are basically PCs. No huge difference in specs. Transfers between XBOX one and PC will be seamless. This will drive higher graphic capabilities. . .on PC

I expect more games. .one of the top tier games (Titanfall) is already coming to the PC.

So right now. . .i'm good with a PC, and will hold off on the new consoles. But I think the new consoles will bring me a lot of benefits as a PC user.

Cheaper
Agree with this. Humble Bundle has given me so many games, I can never play them all.

Mods.
Well, all consoles have DLC. Thats the only Mod I do

No comparison
nahh, who wants to run a PC to their 55inch led tv. I own both a PC and console and use both.. .daily. I will always have a console

but I will wait until next year for an xbox one.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 PM

The problem with PC games is that a high end pc can only run a game at around 30 fps while console games runs at about 60 fps.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:27 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,449,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
The problem with PC games is that a high end pc can only run a game at around 30 fps while console games runs at about 60 fps.

Dude, if you lower the PC settings down to Console specs (1080p, etc) you can hit a 60fps

Its not a PC fault your trying to run the game at 2,560x1,440 versus the xbox one's max of 1920×1080

Old 11-21-2013, 03:33 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,306,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Dude, if you lower the PC settings down to Console specs (1080p, etc) you can hit a 60fps

Its not a PC fault your trying to run the game at 2,560x1,440 versus the xbox one's max of 1920×1080
Yeah comparing like for like (newest gen consoles with newest gen PC's) there is no real graphical comparison. 2560x1440 at 120fps is easily possible on the highest output PC Video cards, if your display will support it.

1920x1080 60 Hz is easily doable on a mid range modern video card with most display settings maxed out.

Of course the poster using the term "high end" is loaded, what I consider high end and what someone else considers high end are potentially entirely different beasts, to me high end is say an i7 3.6GHz Extreme Ivy Bridge 6 core proc, 32Gb RAM (preferable 64Gb) with a couple of GTX-Titan 6Gb video cards.

That's already setting the user back around $3500 without Mobo, drives, power supply, heat sinks, or enclosure which of course if you can spend that much on those core components, are pretty cheap in comparison. Bonus, you won't need a heater in your office.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:22 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,772,665 times
Having been a console gamer since Atari 2600 and a computer gamer up until probably 2000 even I would admit the pc is better. Its just not as comfortable playing on a desktop/laptop so I'll stick with console.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:19 PM

136 posts, read 384,628 times
Having grown with the game industry and been an avid console player;
starting with my Magnavox Odyssey in 1970. Then on in succession
Atari 2600, Coleco-Vision, Nintendo (NES, 64 and Cube), Sega Genesis
(with mountable CD Rom, 32X and power glove), Saturn, Dreamcast
Playstation 1-2 & 3 and the libraries for each console. Xbox never got a
chance. That was about the time I discovered online gaming with a PC.
It was a couple years (Jan.2010) before I could buy a PC. The PS3 console
had large dent in my pocket at that time.

I agree with what a lot of the knowledgeable posters have said about the
graphic quality of PC gaming.

As a complete layman with zero computer knowledge and somewhat vague
understanding of the tech speak... I can only relate experience of gaming,
not the specs.

I find PC gaming much more rewarding. I have a lower end spec unit.
A bit of tweaking in the game settings, and I'm good to go! Usually, it's
a matter of adjusting resolution and or turning off or on a video setting.

I experience lag from time to time, which you don't get from a console.

The social value of online PC gaming, again you didn't get from a console unless
you had a subscription to very few games with a Playstation, Sega or other account
on a PS2 or better.

However, I do miss having folks on the couch with the multi-port to
multi-play some games. Hard to pass the joint to the left through a PC!

I don't miss the wired controllers. Oh the times when the foot
tangles and unit flies!

Now with the variety of genre available in the browser or by client for the
outstanding price of free. I got hooked.
Especially on MMORPG and action RPG that are PvE oriented with arena
PvP and team raids.
Haven't had much luck with online FPS titles.
Always seems to be a sniper sitting at my spawn.
I like fantasy MOBA games, also.

Consoles are put away in the closet. On a rare occasion I'll dust one off and give it a go.
That's usually when my internet service is down for any period of time.

Last edited by gr8cakes; 11-21-2013 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: typo and spacing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games