Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:46 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,684 times

Advertisements

Lmao @ Francis. They probably will hand out some BS game like Lemonade Tycoon, speaking of which I JUST got the email from them about the free game while watching that video, so I guess we will find out. I really laughed out loud when he said, "WTF am I playing!?"

But yes, EA has effectively fubar'd Maxis' reputation with this game, but it is not all of EAs fault, because Maxis did some pretty retarded things with this game too. It sucks that they had to take down a lot of the features that they were touting so heavily just so that they could get the game to run!

Maybe soon this game will be more enjoyable, but I definitely don't think it is worth the $80 I paid. More like a free Facebook game right now.

Edit:

Here is the supposed list of free games:

"The selection includes Battlefield 3, Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3, Bejeweled 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Plants Vs. Zombies and SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 11:59 AM

182 posts, read 477,123 times
Here is the apology email from Maxis regarding SimCity, they just sent it out about an hour ago.

Our SimCity Mayors are incredibly important to the team at Maxis. We know we messed up and want to sincerely thank you for staying with us. The good news is we have solved most of the major issues and players are really enjoying the game. We're getting great feedback from our fans and know that many of you are having fun and are exploring this whole new expression of SimCity.

As a small token of our appreciation, we are offering you a free EA PC game download on Origin*. Mayors who have authenticated their copy of SimCity on Origin by March 25 can select a free game through a redemption portal inside the Origin desktop client later this week. We'll be opening up the redemption portal country-by-country so some of you may see it a little sooner than others. The portal will be live worldwide for everyone to select their game by March 22.

We don't want any of you to miss out your free game, so please note that you must register your copy of SimCity before March 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM PST and you must claim your free game by March 30, 2013 at 11:59PM PST. For more information, including instructions on how to get your free game and a list of eligible games, please read our FAQ. We've included some of the hottest games in the EA portfolio, so pick one and add it to your Origin library on us!

Sincerely,
Maxis

Old 03-19-2013, 02:18 AM

688 posts, read 897,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I must be the only one who likes this game. lol
Nah, I like it as well. I can look past most of the issues and the general simplicity of the engine itself because you can't make it much more complex while having the entire simulation run on one thread. I do really hope they make service AI (fire, police, bus, etc) a lot more efficient, because right now it is rather weak, but it's not really "game breaking".

A lot of people are complaining about the lack of requirements between RCI, which isn't a big deal. It just allows people to do things like build completely residential cities without anything else in the region. Big deal. For some reason they also complain about the "phantom population" which is nothing more than missing a multiplier for the 1:8.5 ratio of actual simulated agents to the total population with regards to workers/shoppers in the population tab. A stupid thing to complain about, really.

I haven't had as much time to play since they really stabilized the servers and region simulation started working properly (for the most part...) Though tonight I just started working on a trade city. Working my way up towards manufacturing televisions (I'm one step away), it's pretty interesting.

The game isn't bad for what it is. Honestly, I wish they would have just taken the time to figure out how to run the simulation over multiple threads so they could really create a far more detailed simulation, but who knows? Maybe Maxis was under pressure to produce new income. I guess they have to start somewhere.

The simulation itself, even though is highly simplistic in this stage, is a really awesome foundation for creating what could be a total city simulation in the future. Like I said, if they can do this detail while running everything through one thread, imagine what they could do with six threads.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
Here is the supposed list of free games:

"The selection includes Battlefield 3, Dead Space 3, Mass Effect 3, Bejeweled 3, Medal of Honor Warfighter, Need for Speed Most Wanted, Plants Vs. Zombies and SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition."
Yep, that's the list of free games I saw when I logged on last night. I don't know what to pick. Most of them are games that I would enjoy a lot more on my Xbox 360. The other are games I have no desire to play (Bejeweled and Plants Vs. Zombies). I'll probably end up with Battlefield or Need For Speed.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,994,915 times
SimCity's always-on DRM lets you destroy anyone's city | Games | Geek.com

Old 03-23-2013, 02:42 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Lol i purposely went into a game and made a horrible crime ridden town with all trailer parks, no police station and i built the vu tower and my neighbors were complaining about all my criminals that were messing up their town.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,746,610 times
Simcity has over 3000 1 star reviews. Probably one of the worst reviewed products on Amazon.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:07 AM

688 posts, read 897,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Simcity has over 3000 1 star reviews. Probably one of the worst reviewed products on Amazon.
It's not deserved of 1/5 stars. That's why user reviews are misleading, unless you're researching them one by one.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
It's not deserved of 1/5 stars. That's why user reviews are misleading, unless you're researching them one by one.
The "launch" of the game definitely deserved a 1/5 stars. That's what everyone is giving horrible ratings to. The game was pretty much unplayable for thousands of people for the first week it was out. I would give the gameplay a 3.5/5.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:14 AM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post

If you bought a game and couldn't play it, would you rate more than 1 star?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games