Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,523,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
Also, I would be hesitant to rely on backwards compatibility, considering that Sony removed that feature after the first generations of its consoles. They may include PS3 backwards compatibility for a time, but when they inevitably offer a slim version 1-2 years down the road, look for that feature to be nixed, and/or downloadable popular PS3 titles for $10/each.
BC is very important to many gamers. No one wants to feel like they made a bad investment. The downloaded content should transfer over to the new machines. Most likely the PS4 will also use the Blu Ray format.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
I'd be awfully surprised if the PS4 could play PS3 games. It certainly won't be strong enough to run them through emulation, and the PS3 chipset is still quite pricey to produce.

That's not to say there won't be versions of PS3 games recompiled for PS4, but it just doesn't seem practical for the PS4 to have a PS3 inside it.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Thats still too high of a price tag, Sony needs to go lower than that.
To start, I think it's a good range. Anything above that and the system will have a very slow start.

As long as they have a good launch library, it should sell pretty well at that price point. I personally think it's going to launch with a $399 price tag.

I also think that in 3-4 years, a large portion of games will be bought digitally which will make the whole BC is the previous gen physical games a thing of the past.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I also think that in 3-4 years, a large portion of games will be bought digitally which will make the whole BC is the previous gen physical games a thing of the past.
I agree digital distribution will be prevalent, but how would that help the PS4 run PS3 games? They would have to be re-compiled to use the very different PS4 chipset (expensive to do), emulated (I doubt the PS4 has the horsepower and emulation is notoriously buggy), or the PS4 would have to contain the PS3 chipset (raising the price of the PS4 or forcing Sony to take a bigger loss).

Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I agree digital distribution will be prevalent, but how would that help the PS4 run PS3 games? They would have to be re-compiled to use the very different PS4 chipset (expensive to do), emulated (I doubt the PS4 has the horsepower and emulation is notoriously buggy), or the PS4 would have to contain the PS3 chipset (raising the price of the PS4 or forcing Sony to take a bigger loss).
Just updating this thread and post with an article that appeared today that explains it better:

The Escapist : Why the PS4 Doesn't Do PS3 Games

Again, your only choices are:
1. recompile the game (in which case it's not really backwards compatible since you have to buy or otherwise obtain it again)
2. emulate it (nearly impossible to do for PS3 games, as explained in the article)
3. have an actual PS3 inside a PS4 (pricey even now, would take up space, etc., but as mentioned you could probably have a PS2 inside a PS4 for peanuts)
4. stream it (as mentioned in the article this is not necessarily something that would produce a satisfying result in terms of input lag, video compression, etc., and at any rate it's not going to be available at launch or probably any time soon after it)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games