Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:33 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,411,800 times

Advertisements

I am surprised nobody has brought up the fact that the next gen Xbox, will always require an online connection, whether you are playing multi-player online or single player. If you aren't connected for a period longer than three minutes, the Xbox will kick you off of your current session.

This is a game changer and is pure stupidity on Microsoft's part. This already gives Sony an edge. Has Microsoft not learned anything from games attempting this? Diablo III? SimCity? This has disaster written all over it. Your Xbox basically becomes a fancy plastic piece of decor when your internet is down, when maintenance is being performed, or simply when the servers crash from either bugs or an over-loaded server.

It is a scheme for money. Microsoft already requires a subscription fee for online gameplay. Now that they are going to require an online connection, you MUST buy the subscription.

I for one, refuse to buy ANYTHING that requires an always online connection, including the new Xbox. Sony has next-gen in the bag, for sure.

Xbox 720 requires Internet connection to load games? - GameSpot.com

Microsoft creative director doesn't get the 'drama' around an always-online Xbox - GameSpot.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,268,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
I am surprised nobody has brought up the fact that the next gen Xbox, will always require an online connection, whether you are playing multi-player online or single player. If you aren't connected for a period longer than three minutes, the Xbox will kick you off of your current session.

This is a game changer and is pure stupidity on Microsoft's part. This already gives Sony an edge. Has Microsoft not learned anything from games attempting this? Diablo III? SimCity? This has disaster written all over it. Your Xbox basically becomes a fancy plastic piece of decor when your internet is down, when maintenance is being performed, or simply when the servers crash from either bugs or an over-loaded server.

It is a scheme for money. Microsoft already requires a subscription fee for online gameplay. Now that they are going to require an online connection, you MUST buy the subscription.

I for one, refuse to buy ANYTHING that requires an always online connection, including the new Xbox. Sony has next-gen in the bag, for sure.

Microsoft creative director doesn't get the 'drama' around an always-online Xbox - GameSpot.com
Probably because it's not a fact, just a rumor at this point. The most recent rumors I read is that the always online function will be up to individual game developers whether they want to use it or not and the console itself will not have to be constantly connected to use.

On that note, the rumor is that the PS4 will require an activation code that you will need to connect to the internet to activate for each new game to prevent used game sales. This rumor is also around for the new Xbox.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:38 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Probably because it's not a fact, just a rumor at this point. The most recent rumors I read is that the always online function will be up to individual game developers whether they want to use it or not and the console itself will not have to be constantly connected to use.

On that note, the rumor is that the PS4 will require an activation code that you will need to connect to the internet to activate for each new game to prevent used game sales. This rumor is also around for the new Xbox.
Half of your post is accurate and the other half is not.

It is true that anything on the new XBox is pure speculation at this point due to the fact that Microsoft has yet to officially announce their new machine. I also heard a rumor that there will be two versions of the new XBox. One will be a traditional console and another will be an always online version requiring an XBox Live Gold membership. No one really knows at this point. I also heard that it will be called the "XBox Infinity", not the 720.

However, Sony has confirmed that the PS4 will play used game discs. They confirmed it shortly after their announcement.

Don't Worry, PS4 Will Play Used Games - Forbes

Old 05-04-2013, 09:42 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Half of your post is accurate and the other half is not.

It is true that anything on the new XBox is pure speculation at this point due to the fact that Microsoft has yet to officially announce their new machine. I also heard a rumor that there will be two versions of the new XBox. One will be a traditional console and another will be an always online version requiring an XBox Live Gold membership. No one really knows at this point. I also heard that it will be called the "XBox Infinity", not the 720.

However, Sony has confirmed that the PS4 will play used game discs. They confirmed it shortly after their announcement.

Don't Worry, PS4 Will Play Used Games - Forbes
Well before you get your hopes up what Yoshida said was
"PS4 can play used games, how's that."

Now not wanting to be a conspiracy theorist, but ischyros posting doesn't contravene those words. You would go buy a game from say GameStop used, put it in your PS4, and it would play, and then ask you for an activation code, whether the activation code needs to be unique or not, would define whether you need to pay a fee to play or not. Simply put the statement is too vague, the PS4 can burst into flames and fly screaming around your living room, it's highly unlikely but it could. Why use can and not will? He's the games studio head for chrissakes he knows the difference, or should, and should also know what he says will be picked apart by people like me.

Remember Sony is the company that installed without users knowledge or consent rootkits on their PC's when they were playing/ripping Sony Music CD's. So it's still possible ischyros is correct and so is Yoshida, but the Sony statement may merely not be stating a critical step that may (or may not) cost some money.

With all those may's you can clearly see this is speculation, however, it's not beyond the realms of possibility, for either platform, it could be a death knell, however it's not decided who the bell would toll for, while gamers ***** and moan about a lot of things, they still keep handing over wads of cash to both companies. If the financials are there regardless of whining, then the person who is blocking (without a fee) would be the winner, since they've just won over every Dev and publisher on the planet that isn't first party. However if the financials are not there then the devs and publishers will flee that platform like a sinking ship.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:02 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well before you get your hopes up what Yoshida said was
"PS4 can play used games, how's that."

Now not wanting to be a conspiracy theorist, but ischyros posting doesn't contravene those words. You would go buy a game from say GameStop used, put it in your PS4, and it would play, and then ask you for an activation code, whether the activation code needs to be unique or not, would define whether you need to pay a fee to play or not. Simply put the statement is too vague, the PS4 can burst into flames and fly screaming around your living room, it's highly unlikely but it could. Why use can and not will? He's the games studio head for chrissakes he knows the difference, or should, and should also know what he says will be picked apart by people like me.

Remember Sony is the company that installed without users knowledge or consent rootkits on their PC's when they were playing/ripping Sony Music CD's. So it's still possible ischyros is correct and so is Yoshida, but the Sony statement may merely not be stating a critical step that may (or may not) cost some money.

With all those may's you can clearly see this is speculation, however, it's not beyond the realms of possibility, for either platform, it could be a death knell, however it's not decided who the bell would toll for, while gamers ***** and moan about a lot of things, they still keep handing over wads of cash to both companies. If the financials are there regardless of whining, then the person who is blocking (without a fee) would be the winner, since they've just won over every Dev and publisher on the planet that isn't first party. However if the financials are not there then the devs and publishers will flee that platform like a sinking ship.
Honestly, my gut feeling is that neither next gen platform will block used games in any way. I know my "gut feeling" won't soothe anyone's worries right now but I just don't see it happening. I think they might have both been considering it at one point until they saw all hell break loose on the internet when rumors started to surface, then canceled any plans they had for it. Sony is in dire straits financially and desperately needs the PS4 to succeed and Microsoft wouldn't secede that much of the industry to Sony (especially with Windows 8 being a flop already - Windows is losing marketshare to OSX and Linux).

I know devs are all for blocking used titles because they make more money and someday Sony and Microsoft might give in but neither of them are in a financial position to take that kind of risk with their consumers right now and probably not for at least a few more years. Time will tell.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:43 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Honestly, my gut feeling is that neither next gen platform will block used games in any way. I know my "gut feeling" won't soothe anyone's worries right now but I just don't see it happening. I think they might have both been considering it at one point until they saw all hell break loose on the internet when rumors started to surface, then canceled any plans they had for it. Sony is in dire straits financially and desperately needs the PS4 to succeed and Microsoft wouldn't secede that much of the industry to Sony (especially with Windows 8 being a flop already - Windows is losing marketshare to OSX and Linux).

I know devs are all for blocking used titles because they make more money and someday Sony and Microsoft might give in but neither of them are in a financial position to take that kind of risk with their consumers right now and probably not for at least a few more years. Time will tell.
Wouldn't worry about Win8 too much, MS have just posted increasing revenues for the last few quarters regardless of lukewarm consumer interest in Win8, whereas Apple have had a bad few quarters with iPhones looking to have reached market saturation, and getting stiff pressure from Android (and some WM8 too). Retail Windows isn't a big cash cow any more, they only make $30 per OEM OS install. There is pressure from tablets mostly in consumer, commercial is still Windows (7-8 doesn't matter the license fee still goes to the same company). Commercially OSX market share hasn't changed, nor has Linux. Entertainment is only a $650M revenue business, profitability is negligible or even a net negative (both Xbox and Xbox360 cost more to manufacture for the first 3 hardware versions than they charged, same as Sony, they make it up in licensing fees, but with the size of team MS runs I'd be surprised if Windows Server and Tools isn't propping up Entertainment).

Agreed on devs desiring blocking and they have every right to want to block used titles too since they get nothing for a used title, used game retailers have been milking that cash cow for too long at the expense of both the consumer and developer/publisher/platform manufacturer. I mean lets be honest, they'll buy a used new release game in for $20 (or trade in for used games for $30) and then retail it used as $55 (a whole $5 in savings to the customer and $35 in pure profit to the retailer). I mean having worked in the industry, I can tell you it's disheartening when you're looking at server unique consoles counts of twice or more your known retail sales (i.e. there are twice or more people playing something you've developed than have paid for it).

Both systems will out of the box be online, both systems have the facility to block used titles either at launch or by a firmware upgrade (that's not speculation, that's just understood, both Sony and MS have patents for tying a binary format disk to a specific hardware identifier of course both have stated these are not for their entertainment divisions). My take isn't so much will they in either system, the question is when, or, which titles will be protected and which will not (I can see that happening too). It would be wise for the platforms to push the blame... Oops "bad publicity" onto developers, rather than shoulder it themselves, i.e. they can state we don't enforce this, but we give the option to the dev/publisher to do so. It would be a bit Pontius Pilate of them, but, would limit fall out.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,524,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post

That is a very arrogant move, but hey At least they are not forcing people to buy a home console only to play games on a tablet.....

Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 PM

Its a good time to be a PS Gamer!! What an E3!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 PM

The system looks like the Xbox One a lil bit. Many of the games look cool. Infamous 3 & Blackflag look really good too. So the question is will the Wii U outsell the Xbox One?

Old 06-10-2013, 09:24 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,871 times
I just preordered the PS4 from Amazon($399 Woot!!), Microsoft can go to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games