Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,804 times

Advertisements

I am soooo DONE with videogames after this generation! I've been playing videogames for many years ever since I was 4, and the games have always been enjoyable and fun...until now. I've had a WII, Xbox and a PS3 and in my opinion, they were ALL horrible! The WII is good for only children and small children at that. The XBOX has the red ring of death and it freezes at times when we are watching netflix and stuff...and the PS3..yeah...this was my last ditch effort to actually play some good games seeing as how I had the PS1 and 2. Talk about a epic f'ing fail.

The PS3 games are SEVERELY lacking to me. The games that are on the system are not that great and before you even say anything, the XBOX's weren't either. On the PS3, you have games like Bioshock, Infamous, Uncharted, and none of those games interest me. I am tired of buying a game and it's either 1. a sequel, (I mean seriously, how many GTA, Silent Hills, Metal Gear Solids, FFs and Street Fighters do we need?) or 2. Its a decent game, but it is repetitive and you are doing the SAME thing over and over again! Call of duty seems to come to mind on this one. I hate repetitive games, not only is it boring, but it's the same stuff..geez reminds me of working at a fast food place..

All I gotta say, is this time around, spend your dollars wisely and don't just buy the first thing that comes out. We need to not just buy mediocre, sub par products. As much money as we sink into these systems, we DESERVE to have the best and I won't settle for anything less..but alas, this is for you guys, not for me because I have little hope that the PS4 will actually be anything worth having, the XBOX will be the same as the last one with possibly more annoying features and the new nintendo is still marketing to little kids. It's the same as the games, they are "SEQUEL" systems with no real big changes. I can't do this anymore though. The glitches between Crap Island and Call of S**t oops I mean Dead Island and Call of Duty are just too much as well as the repetitiveness of Dead Rising has insured that this gamer has lost his last life and is now officially retired. So I will play my games until I beat every last one of them once, and then I will put down the controller and find something new to do, but I will assure you, until this industry gets better, it will not be playing videogames.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 01:10 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
I sympathize.

What kind of games did you used to enjoy back in the PS1 / PS2 days?

Thing is that because these things cost so much to make now, you get no risk takers on something new, hense all of the sequels.

I went indie. A lot of the lower budget indie titles don't have the razzle and dazzle of the big stuff (except Journey - that game is gourgeous) but they sure are fun to play and original too. Maybe look into games like Journey, Limbo, and The Unfinished Swan.

But yeah. I'm sick of all of the sequels too. It's been time for long while to put some of these series' to rest.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:48 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,154 times
The reasons you listed is why I went with the Nintendo Wii U and it will likely be the last gaming console I purchase. Prior to getting a Wii U, I said I had enough too owning both PS3 and Xbox 360. I felt that I should return to Nintendo because those so called "mature" games weren't working for me. I was not too crazy about the Wii myself but I did enjoy playing a few games such as Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros Brawl. You can fire up Call of Duty or Halo and you'll hear nothing but children screaming over the microphone thinking their so cool.

I do agree that the PS3 lacked any memorable games. I enjoyed Uncharted 2 but I couldn't be bothered to play it again. I hated Uncharted 3. I never played a campaign where the enemy cared more about killing Drake than getting themselves out of danger. The ship is sinking and they rather kill Drake. Who came up with that logic? The first Uncharted game eh it was interesting but poor game design choices really hurt the game. Killzone was never a great franchise and KZ3 was enough for me. I couldn't get into inFamous and Resistance was nothing special. Aside from the original Gears of War, the Xbox 360 was nothing special either. Halo 3 was the better Halo game. Halo 4 is everything I hate about FPS today.

Nothing on the PS4 interested me at all. As a fan of Super Smash Bros since the beginning, I went ahead and bought a Wii U in advance because I anticipated that game will move Wii U off the shelves in the future so I figured...I may as buy it while it is available. Whether it is rated E or M, I don't care about the content of the game, as long as I'm enjoying it. Most of my PS3 games are rated M and I can't stand most of them or the ones I did play.

When I had a Xbox 360 before selling it, all of the games were rated M and again, I got sick of games like Gears of War 3 which from a online perspective was not as fun as the first game of the series. They took away the uniqueness of the first game and try to make it like every other shooter. That is the main problem with games today. Everyone copy off each other rather than make their games unique. They are afraid to take a chance. Halo 4 was trash I got tired of that game after a month. IW is nothing without West and Zampella. I have given up hope on Microsoft and couldn't care less about their next console.

As I got the Wii U, I have decide to spend my money wisely...for example before EA decide not to published anything for Wii U, I've already avoid anything with their logo on it. Last game I have purchased from EA is Battlefield 3 I did not like it so I will not miss BF4 which looks like "just another shooter". I don't care if third party developers don't want to develop for the Wii U, most of their games plays just like everything else. Give a game that does not play like the games before it.

So Nintendo market to kids (They aren't marketing to anyone these days) but their games overall are a lot more enjoyable than those games trying to be the next COD. At the end of the day, I'll take Metroid and Kirby over the next Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. I lost interest in Assassin's Creed after II and gave up on Call of Duty after MW2. Skyrim got a lot of praises but I thought the game sucked and I put in over 100 hours into it. I was unable to finish a side mission due to a bug and decide not to bother with it any longer. The main quest was terrible. I enjoyed the side missions more. The game was forgettable and my actions had no long-term effect on the game. I could be a member of the Brotherhood and the Companions and neither one of them would get in the way of the game.

The last game I really enjoyed was Red Dead Redemption. I haven't found a game that reached to that status since.I thought Borderlands was boring, even when I was playing with other people. I initially had a Xbox 360 before getting a PS3. The early Xbox 360 games is what I truly enjoyed. Something happened in 2009 that the games started being really terrible. The last game I really enjoyed was Red Dead Redemption. I haven't found a game that reached to that status since. If the game is well thought out, I couldn't care about its kid image. That is why adults enjoyed Animaniacs. It was well written and it was hilarious and memorable.

I can not speak for everyone else but Nintendo gives me a new way to play their game. You may hate the Wii and I didn't take it seriously either but you have to admit, it tried to something different. The Wii U tries to be a gaming console rather than dumb down PC. Nintendo just handled the launch terrible and the delay of games haven't help them either. I going to get a few more games on the PS3 before calling it quits for purchasing another game on there (excluding sales). Then I'll work on upgrading PC (likely take years to get started on) and Wii U. I'm done with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo is my last hope. My first Nintendo console was the N64. I only had Sega Genesis growing up. I got to avoid all that fanboy talk. I just enjoyed what I had. Then moved to PS1 and getting a N64 sometime later.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I sympathize.

What kind of games did you used to enjoy back in the PS1 / PS2 days?

Thing is that because these things cost so much to make now, you get no risk takers on something new, hense all of the sequels.

I went indie. A lot of the lower budget indie titles don't have the razzle and dazzle of the big stuff (except Journey - that game is gourgeous) but they sure are fun to play and original too. Maybe look into games like Journey, Limbo, and The Unfinished Swan.

But yeah. I'm sick of all of the sequels too. It's been time for long while to put some of these series' to rest.
Thanks Adric, it's always good to see a fellow gamer that understands how I feel..as for what I used to play ...omg I laughed when u put that, you see all the ps1 games and some of the ps2 are now on the PSN. My Ps3 is really just an over-glorified emulator for ps1/ps2 games and that's it. You are right though the sequels do need to stop..and honestly I enjoyed RPGS, the ps1 was the age of RPGs, with ps2 there were more strategy games than anything else..and now with the PS3, it's all FPS, which I wouldn't mind, but I never played Call of Sh*t, so I sucked at it at first, I am ok now, but I will never be as good as some other people because they played Modern Warfare 1,2 and 3 as well as the regular games. I tell you, knowing that I can never be as good as someone just because I didn't play their sh**ty games before makes me want to...express myself in a very physical manner to the gamer makers and trearch if you know what I mean lol.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:11 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
I am soooo DONE with videogames after this generation!
You're better off just getting a desktop PC that can handle games and keep upgrading it as time goes on. This way you're in control of what's inside your gaming system, and not shelling out $400-$500 a year on a new gaming system. You have a lot of websites to choose games from, and there are a lot of sales so you can buy them under the actual retail price. It's easy to say that you're going to walk away, but it's hard to do that after you're done with all your games. You never mentioned PC, but you should probably give that a try before you say you're completely done. On PC you have player made mods and mods that don't exist on a console, and if you're good enough, you can even create your own mods that meet your standards. .

Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
You're better off just getting a desktop PC that can handle games and keep upgrading it as time goes on. This way you're in control of what's inside your gaming system, and not shelling out $400-$500 a year on a new gaming system. You have a lot of websites to choose games from, and there are a lot of sales so you can buy them under the actual retail price. It's easy to say that you're going to walk away, but it's hard to do that after you're done with all your games. You never mentioned PC, but you should probably give that a try before you say you're completely done. On PC you have player made mods and mods that don't exist on a console, and if you're good enough, you can even create your own mods that meet your standards. .
Who does this?

Old 05-19-2013, 10:26 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Who does this?
I did when I was upgrading my video card annually for PC gaming...

Oh... Wait...
Nevermind...

Old 05-19-2013, 11:15 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,068,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Thanks Adric, it's always good to see a fellow gamer that understands how I feel..as for what I used to play ...omg I laughed when u put that, you see all the ps1 games and some of the ps2 are now on the PSN. My Ps3 is really just an over-glorified emulator for ps1/ps2 games and that's it. You are right though the sequels do need to stop..and honestly I enjoyed RPGS, the ps1 was the age of RPGs, with ps2 there were more strategy games than anything else..and now with the PS3, it's all FPS, which I wouldn't mind, but I never played Call of Sh*t, so I sucked at it at first, I am ok now, but I will never be as good as some other people because they played Modern Warfare 1,2 and 3 as well as the regular games. I tell you, knowing that I can never be as good as someone just because I didn't play their sh**ty games before makes me want to...express myself in a very physical manner to the gamer makers and trearch if you know what I mean lol.
Yeah you and I have very similar taste. I played a ton of RPG's on my old PS1. I still have my original copies of FF7, 8, 9, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, and MGS.

I didn't even really play PS3 until about a year and a half ago because I was so sick of everything coming out for it. I had already had my fill of FPS games before Call of Duty even made it big because I had played a lot of the Medal of Honor series. I was ready for something new.

If your taste is similar to mine (I enjoy a good story in my games) then you might like:
-Journey (I already mentioned this one but it bears repeating - this game is almost a religious experience lol)
-Heavy Rain
-Uncharted
-Bioshock Infinite (despite being yet another FPS - it's single player only an the story is VERY good)

And maybe look into these upcoming games:
-The Last of Us
-Beyond Two Souls

Old 05-19-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
The reasons you listed is why I went with the Nintendo Wii U and it will likely be the last gaming console I purchase. Prior to getting a Wii U, I said I had enough too owning both PS3 and Xbox 360. I felt that I should return to Nintendo because those so called "mature" games weren't working for me. I was not too crazy about the Wii myself but I did enjoy playing a few games such as Metroid Prime 3, Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros Brawl. You can fire up Call of Duty or Halo and you'll hear nothing but children screaming over the microphone thinking their so cool.

I do agree that the PS3 lacked any memorable games. I enjoyed Uncharted 2 but I couldn't be bothered to play it again. I hated Uncharted 3. I never played a campaign where the enemy cared more about killing Drake than getting themselves out of danger. The ship is sinking and they rather kill Drake. Who came up with that logic? The first Uncharted game eh it was interesting but poor game design choices really hurt the game. Killzone was never a great franchise and KZ3 was enough for me. I couldn't get into inFamous and Resistance was nothing special. Aside from the original Gears of War, the Xbox 360 was nothing special either. Halo 3 was the better Halo game. Halo 4 is everything I hate about FPS today.

Nothing on the PS4 interested me at all. As a fan of Super Smash Bros since the beginning, I went ahead and bought a Wii U in advance because I anticipated that game will move Wii U off the shelves in the future so I figured...I may as buy it while it is available. Whether it is rated E or M, I don't care about the content of the game, as long as I'm enjoying it. Most of my PS3 games are rated M and I can't stand most of them or the ones I did play.

When I had a Xbox 360 before selling it, all of the games were rated M and again, I got sick of games like Gears of War 3 which from a online perspective was not as fun as the first game of the series. They took away the uniqueness of the first game and try to make it like every other shooter. That is the main problem with games today. Everyone copy off each other rather than make their games unique. They are afraid to take a chance. Halo 4 was trash I got tired of that game after a month. IW is nothing without West and Zampella. I have given up hope on Microsoft and couldn't care less about their next console.

As I got the Wii U, I have decide to spend my money wisely...for example before EA decide not to published anything for Wii U, I've already avoid anything with their logo on it. Last game I have purchased from EA is Battlefield 3 I did not like it so I will not miss BF4 which looks like "just another shooter". I don't care if third party developers don't want to develop for the Wii U, most of their games plays just like everything else. Give a game that does not play like the games before it.

So Nintendo market to kids (They aren't marketing to anyone these days) but their games overall are a lot more enjoyable than those games trying to be the next COD. At the end of the day, I'll take Metroid and Kirby over the next Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. I lost interest in Assassin's Creed after II and gave up on Call of Duty after MW2. Skyrim got a lot of praises but I thought the game sucked and I put in over 100 hours into it. I was unable to finish a side mission due to a bug and decide not to bother with it any longer. The main quest was terrible. I enjoyed the side missions more. The game was forgettable and my actions had no long-term effect on the game. I could be a member of the Brotherhood and the Companions and neither one of them would get in the way of the game.

The last game I really enjoyed was Red Dead Redemption. I haven't found a game that reached to that status since.I thought Borderlands was boring, even when I was playing with other people. I initially had a Xbox 360 before getting a PS3. The early Xbox 360 games is what I truly enjoyed. Something happened in 2009 that the games started being really terrible. The last game I really enjoyed was Red Dead Redemption. I haven't found a game that reached to that status since. If the game is well thought out, I couldn't care about its kid image. That is why adults enjoyed Animaniacs. It was well written and it was hilarious and memorable.

I can not speak for everyone else but Nintendo gives me a new way to play their game. You may hate the Wii and I didn't take it seriously either but you have to admit, it tried to something different. The Wii U tries to be a gaming console rather than dumb down PC. Nintendo just handled the launch terrible and the delay of games haven't help them either. I going to get a few more games on the PS3 before calling it quits for purchasing another game on there (excluding sales). Then I'll work on upgrading PC (likely take years to get started on) and Wii U. I'm done with Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo is my last hope. My first Nintendo console was the N64. I only had Sega Genesis growing up. I got to avoid all that fanboy talk. I just enjoyed what I had. Then moved to PS1 and getting a N64 sometime later.
You know, I didn't really think of it like that...maybe I need to take another look back at Nintendo again. It's just hard when you can play games online with friends like Dead Island for example, but that game is glitchy as hell and it sucks.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
That's another idea that I had, unfortunately the laptop that I bought, I spent like $800 on it and it has two graphics cards, one on the motherboard and another kind of graphics card. However, when I go to can i run this, it automatically fails me because I have intergrated video so I didn't worry about it anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games