Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:22 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,372,858 times

Advertisements

Last year my son wanted a Wii and they were in such demand I could'nt get him one without paying $600 on ebay since that seems to be where all of them went. Instead I got him an X-box 360 because they were available for $399. After 9 months the system was dead, we even purchased the add on fan to make sure it lasted, after contacting Microsoft they said oh yes they all broke, send it back. Anyway we still have'nt gotten it back, I understand this is common, could be another 6 weeks or so before the system gets returned.
The ones on the shelves of stores are the same...problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 06:36 PM

93 posts, read 325,985 times
I got a wii - waited in line last november :P
I've loved it, played it continuously - my wife, a very much non-gamer, plays almost as much as me now, and we love it lots

Our wii did break, though - the sound started crackling continuously after it was on for 10-15 minutes.

Nintendo's exchange program, however, is *EXEMPLARY*. We had two options - send it back, they send us a new one the day they receive it, and that's that, or the 'enhanced exchange program' - in which we give them our credit card number, they 'reserve' the price of a system on it, overnight us a system and a postage-paid return box, put our old one in the box, start playing the new one, and drop the old one off at a UPS location.
No time without the system. No charges on the card. No trouble at all. It's really a neat return system.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,482 times
I am actually surprised that they took it back because the extra fans you buy for them are not supported by Microsoft and they said it actually adds more strain on the system and it could void the warranty.

I have a nintendo. I don't play it anymore because I got bored with it. Just like my PSP. They sit there and collect dust lol.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:03 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times
Played a wii once and felt a ****, would never do it again. Last box I had was PSX, fun twas. Now im a PC gamer, more fun IMHO.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:48 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,980,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Played a wii once and felt a ****, would never do it again. Last box I had was PSX, fun twas. Now im a PC gamer, more fun IMHO.
Alright I studied your post for far too long and still don't know what you asterisked out. That is truly bothering me.

Seriously though, my wife and I just got a wii - and we love it. Our kids are far too young to play so we keep it for ourselves... tremendous fun for sure in the evenings after they are asleep. When wii-boxing I think we vented our daily stress out quite well and we both got an effective cardio workout and lots of laughs. I'd recommend a wii to anyone looking for a fun game system. Might not have the best graphics, nor the most games... but what you have is a superior interface and a system with as much physical involvement as you desire.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,393,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
Alright I studied your post for far too long and still don't know what you asterisked out. That is truly bothering me.

Seriously though, my wife and I just got a wii - and we love it. Our kids are far too young to play so we keep it for ourselves... tremendous fun for sure in the evenings after they are asleep. When wii-boxing I think we vented our daily stress out quite well and we both got an effective cardio workout and lots of laughs. I'd recommend a wii to anyone looking for a fun game system. Might not have the best graphics, nor the most games... but what you have is a superior interface and a system with as much physical involvement as you desire.
lol. I think he mean an a hole.

People take what they look like when playing the Nintendo far too seriously. Because, honestly, the system is about having fun. And if you're not having fun then the system is obviously not for you. If you want graphics take a PS3. If you want to be involved with the games that's where the Nintendo comes into play. And they keep adding on with the neat inventions. Shigeru Miyamoto is making a new device/game called Wii Fit with the Wii Balance Board that teaches users how to properly do things like push-ups, yoga, etc..

The PS3 might have that 6 axis stuff... But that just confuses me.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,875,941 times
Ahh the infamous Xbox red ring of death. I've heard failure rates in the 35% range, in other words over 1 of 3 that are sold are doomed to just stop functioning.

Xbox has put in a place a 12 month warranty under consumer pressure. That and I think they changed there hardware somewhat (although they are still selling the old models with the failure problems).

Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Xbox since day one has had a lot of hardware issues. But I think overall the 360 offers the most bang for the buck amongst the systems currently out. A good library of games (but could use a little more diversity). Xbox live is pretty freaking cool once you get into it.

IMO, Wii is cool as a second system, or one to bring out when some friends come over. It's also good for younger kids. I'd say 14 and under.

PS3 is probably the most impressive machine, but there just aren't enough good games out for PS3 yet.

My 360 has scratched a few of my CD's and the door doesn't work that well. Annoying. But I generally like XBox 360 and what it has to offer.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times
The forum asterixed me lol. Basically I felt a fool playing it. Beer bellies giggling around arent a good sight either!

Old 11-14-2007, 12:15 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,372,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Ahh the infamous Xbox red ring of death. I've heard failure rates in the 35% range, in other words over 1 of 3 that are sold are doomed to just stop functioning.

Xbox has put in a place a 12 month warranty under consumer pressure. That and I think they changed there hardware somewhat (although they are still selling the old models with the failure problems).
Yes exactly, the trouble is you have to call the number they have set up and you can call and no one answers ever or you get cut off and you dial back in again, it took us 2 weeks of calling daily to finally get someone and then they sent us out a box with a return shipping label. Microsoft has become famous for putting things on the market before the bugs are worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games