Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times

Advertisements

If Microsoft stops consorting with the NSA, ditches the spy cam and drops the price of the Xbox One by $100 I may reconsider but at this point their new console is dead to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:27 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
But will the Red Ring of Death return???

Old 06-21-2013, 10:11 PM

536 posts, read 829,728 times
If you need a reason to hate Microsoft and "Xbone" it shouldn't be about DRM or controllers or your tin foil hat that you wear in your bunker or even an extra $100 bucks for Kinect (Which will likely be repealed by launch).

It should be about this - The PA Report - Xbox One vs. indies: Microsoft bullies developers into signing with publishers, and it needs to stop

Old 06-21-2013, 10:35 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
If you need a reason to hate Microsoft and "Xbone" it shouldn't be about DRM or controllers or your tin foil hat that you wear in your bunker or even an extra $100 bucks for Kinect (Which will likely be repealed by launch).

It should be about this - The PA Report - Xbox One vs. indies: Microsoft bullies developers into signing with publishers, and it needs to stop

That's standard business practice for MS and why they are called the Evil Empire.

Old 06-22-2013, 01:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I would never buy from the evil Microsoft empire. I'd rather go with a scrappy, mom 'n' pop not-for-profit business like Sony.

But seriously, I don't like the Kinect so I'm on the fence.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM

Default The Kinect Dilemma

It isn't just the fact that Microsoft has betrayed the public trust and consorted with the reckless National Security Agency (NSA) to spy on millions of innocent Americans; it's also the possibility that somebody else will hack in to Kinect and abuse it the way journalists working at News of the World in the UK did with cell phones.

I'm just not comfortable with somebody, be it a government employee or otherwise, using the Kinect spy cam to surveil me and my family. For all we know some perverted government employee will use the technology to pleasure himself while watching our girlfriends, wives or daughters and that's beyond creepy to me.

If Microsoft becomes a partner in the Stop Watching Us campaign maybe I'll start trusting them again but until then I consider the Xbox One to be stillborn.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times
So you any of you have any actual proof that they'll be using the Kinect to spy on XBOX users? Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of the Kinect either, but majority of the anti-Kinect posts on here are giving off the Alex Jones conspiracy vibe.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post

And there you have it. Gamers always say they dont understand console wars/system wars arguements. That article breaks down one part of that situation. One company having an affect on another company. I never really paid much attention to Xbox or their set up, but this reminds me of the Limbo platformer that came out years ago from an Indie that Playstation and Nintendo gamers really wanted, but Microsoft had it first and Nintendo still never got the game.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:03 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
And there you have it. Gamers always say they dont understand console wars/system wars arguements. That article breaks down one part of that situation. One company having an affect on another company. I never really paid much attention to Xbox or their set up, but this reminds me of the Limbo platformer that came out years ago from an Indie that Playstation and Nintendo gamers really wanted, but Microsoft had it first and Nintendo still never got the game.
Limbo is actually an interesting case... Sony's issue was for publication it required the Limbo IP in addition to exclusivity.
Sony lost out on Limbo because it wanted the IP rights | Game Development | News by Develop
Sony lost Limbo deal because it wanted IP rights | News | Edge Online

So Playdead signed a 1 year exclusivity deal with MS that did not require the IP, and it allowed them to expand, and maintain that release before pushing it out to other platforms. It worked out very well for them, and is an example of how to release an indie console title especially given the excitement that built up in the year after release on the 360.

Bearing that in mind, neither console manufacturer is especially the "white knight" in it's dealings with indies. More interestingly is that most of the complaints are coming from Just Add Water who are to all intents and purposes OddWorld Inhabitants, who have a history with Microsoft with Munch's Oddysee as a publisher, and Strangers Wrath as an unexpected exclusive (i.e. OWI couldn't get it running on PS2 well enough to release so called it an exclusive, then got p*ssed at EA for cutting advertizing). However the relationship was never particularly good, nor was it previously particularly good with Sony (otherwise why jump ship for the #3 title of a quintology to a new platform). That said, what has JAW given to Sony for the publication rights? We don't know.

The issue many Indies have is that they're small, and a release on a specific platform is a big deal, there's a lot to do for each platform to the point the game isn't really a "port" but a specific stand alone title. Consider the Skyrim issues on PS3 from Bethesda, and they're not only pretty huge from a team perspective, but also a publisher (how long did it take for PS3 to get DLC because the engine couldn't manage memory effectively enough?). If they screwed up that badly on the PS3 port, what makes you think that a shoestring indie could manage a sim ship across multiple platforms, and then maintain them (bug fixes etc.) in a timely fashion? So Microsoft having a mandate for exclusivity isn't just purely profit driven, but also requires that an Indie focused it's entire team on one platform up to release, and only needs support that one platform post release. If Bethesda can't get a sim ship across 3 platforms right (Xbox360, PC, PS3) what makes you think "Bob's Garage Games" is going to be able to, with a team 1/5 the size or smaller, and maybe $1.50 left in the companies overdraft limit (38 Studios).

People need to remember the game industry is an "industry" I know we all like games, but the people who develop them and provide art, music, and level designs all have rent and mortgages to pay, food to buy, families to provide for. That's the part that's taken care of by the "industry".

Old 06-26-2013, 10:35 PM

I've just learned that Kinect 2.0 peripheral works by shooting photons at people and everybody knows that the National Security Agency (NSA) also uses those for their psychotronic (mind control) technology. I know it sounds funny at first but here's an article explaining how Russian President Vladimir Putin is developing something similar to use against his own country's dissidents.

Putin targets foes with 'zombie' gun which attack victims' central nervous system
Quote:
Research into electromagnetic weapons has been secretly carried out in the US
and Russia since the Fifties. But now it appears Mr. Putin has stolen a march
on the Americans. Precise details of the Russian gun have not been revealed.
However, previous research has shown that low-frequency waves or beams can
affect brain cells, alter psychological states and make it possible to transmit
suggestions and commands directly into someone's thought processes.
Don't leak this to anyone but here are the details of the NSA's mind control program in it's early stages of development from all the way back in 1999.

NSA Mind Control and Psyops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games