Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:12 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooshi View Post
I don't care about the new console look. It kind of sucks for 360 fans won't be able to play old Xbox 360 games on the new console.
It sucks for PS3 fans too, they won't be able to play old PS3 games on the new console either. At least on that front their at parity. However I can tell you writing a PowerPC emulator on Intel's x64 architecture is going to be a hell of a lot easier than writing a cell processor emulator on an Intel x64 architecture.

Funnily enough, chances are X1's BC with the original Xbox would be trivial to achieve the Windows Kernel already runs x86 code on the 64 bit OS with the WOW64 emulator.

As far as look, don't care it's going in an AV rack anyway, if both manufacturers made 'em in 1U standard formats I'd be just as happy. Or a 2U half shelf. Just make them look similar to every other piece of AV gear (Black and chrome) and having installations run without disks is certainly a good thing in that regard too.

Old 05-25-2013, 06:16 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
For any hardcore gamer that has owned and used an XBOX 360 and a PS3, that is whining and crying about how bad Xbox One looks...
I had one (a 360), got red ring of death, got rid of it, never looked back, never regretted ignoring it. It's true that the appearance of the box isn't a deal-breaker. But I think it's emblematic of the whole approach of the system: watered-down blandness meant to not take any risks and to appeal to the widest audience of casuals and the whole family. Like plain matte white walls in a newly built house before anyone moves in. No style, but not trying to have any either.
Quote:
...in the end you will still likely purchase an XBOX One, just to have it, because your a hardcore gamer and if you don't have it you can never really say it sucks or remain in the loop of the gaming world.
If you folks don't buy an Xbox One you're not hardcore and you can't remain in the loop of the gaming world. I can promise you I won't, and I can promise you "the gaming world" is much much broader than you're trying to make it out to be. There isn't one kind of gamer or two, there are many kinds.
Quote:
You'll buy it like you had a Sega 32X, a Dreamcast, maybe you even had the Sega CD, 3DO, Jaguar, and Virtualboy.
No, yes but not until 2002 (still have the DC), no, no, no, and no.
Quote:
And really, after the success of the 360, the One already has a built in fanbase, it just DOES despite all the current premature negativity, in the end the One's library of games will likely be extremely comparable, if not better, than the 360's.
I remain undecided based on lack of info about the GAMES, and don't get why more aren't doing the same, a lot of people prematurely dismissing the entire lifespan of the system cause of a marketing stunt aimed clearly not at hardcore gamers but bringing in more of a family crowd with the whole media center all in one box for the family room deal...wait till you see the GAMES, and the GAMEPLAY, before thinking you know how badly and completely it will suck.
I'm not saying all the dudebros and sheeple gamers aren't going to pick it up. It might even find Microsoft's intended audience of middle Americans with large family rooms who are tired of their current set-top box and also want to play some casual games now and then. And normal gaming masses will have the choice of the PS4 and Xbox One (among others like Wii U, Steam Box, Ouya, portables, phones/tablets, older consoles, and plain old Windows PC), who knows which one will "win." I know which one I'm favoring, but that doesn't mean I'll buy either.

But hey somebody pointed out (and even mocked up) that you could actually play your PC, PS4, Wii U, Steam Box, Ouya, DVR / FiOS, etc. *through* the Xbox One and its tiling "snap" picture-in-picture / split-screen thing. So maybe it'll find that market too. Damned expensive switching / input selector / multi-viewer though (probably requiring a monthly subscription too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It sucks for PS3 fans too, they won't be able to play old PS3 games on the new console either. At least on that front their at parity. However I can tell you writing a PowerPC emulator on Intel's x64 architecture is going to be a hell of a lot easier than writing a cell processor emulator on an Intel x64 architecture.

Funnily enough, chances are X1's BC with the original Xbox would be trivial to achieve the Windows Kernel already runs x86 code on the 64 bit OS with the WOW64 emulator.
True, Xbox original would be much easier to run on Xbox One. I highly doubt an *emulator* will be built to run 360 or PS3 software. The horsepower just isn't there. They could certainly recompile old games for the new systems though. Sony has mentioned wanting to be able to stream PS1/PS2/PS3 games, but we don't know when they might offer that, how much they'll ask, and what the lag will be like of course.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:19 AM

124 posts, read 145,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It sucks for PS3 fans too, they won't be able to play old PS3 games on the new console.

It sucks.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:05 AM

The great press continues: Germany privacy chief Peter Schaar calls Xbox One a "twisted nightmare" for Kinect spying potential.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Yeah but it's a bit of a red herring, all but the infra-red is currently possible (and has occurred) on a PC too. Pretty much every Laptop in the past 5 years comes with integrated camera and microphone, however the risks of someone introducing spyware on a PC that captures your behaviors while within sight/hearing of your PC is orders of magnitude greater given you can install anything you want to a PC from any source whatsoever. PS4 also requires the use of PS Eye, no one is crying about that yet. I just think Europe in general looks at Microsoft/Google/Apple as revenue cows that need to be milked every so often via the European courts (well they have to raise their revenue somehow right...?).

Meanwhile it's a bit hypocritical when you consider some of the law enforcement abilities of governments in Europe to invade peoples privacy for no cause.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
well that solves it I am getting a PS4 console even though I always an Xbox and currently a Xbox 360 person.. I guess it will be weird since last Sony Gaming Console I had was the original PS1 and after that went to Xbox ever since it came out in 2001.

Then again my PC is almost better built for gaming than the new Gen 4 consoles if I just buy a better GPU for it

Old 05-30-2013, 09:18 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,603,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Xbox summed up about a minute

Xbox One Reveal 2013 Highlights - YouTube
LMAO!!!! Roku with a game option, awesome!! What a joke. Plus the spy cam, oh yea, I can't wait to be spied on by Microsoft. What up with that? The game store man just laid down the horror for me. Spy camera that can't be turned off? WHAT??? Using connect to count the number of people in the room to make sure they pay per user? OMG, REALLY??? Anyone hear about this??

Old 05-31-2013, 06:51 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Well, I'm not too worried about Microsoft secretly filming me scratching my b-alls while playing a game.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Well, I'm not too worried about Microsoft secretly filming me scratching my b-alls while playing a game.
Be afraid, be very afraid.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games