Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:39 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,521,126 times

Advertisements

None ever seems to hate on film buffs? I have had several people tell me I am wasting my time playing Video games. However, these same people will blabber on about their favorite film or where to go to watch movies. Like my teacher. She thought that the idea of playing video games for a job was taboo. However, the next day she was ok with watching movies and TV shows for entertainment. Does gaming have this special stigma attached to it where it is seen as Geeky or Nerdy and that we have "No lives"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 10:45 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,847,059 times
I think it's because we are sitting indoors and that bugs some people. I quite enjoy some peace playing video games when I have the time. One of my neighbors is a 40 sometime year old man who is obsessed with video games and his girlfriend tells me "He hasn't grown out of them", like it's only children who play them. Ah well, can't please everyone.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:49 AM

^Yes, I definitely think that society sees video games as "Toys" and not an art form that a lot of other people see them as.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,626,353 times
Mainly because they view all video games as mindless. Which, truth be told, a large percentage of them are. The ratio of well written and executed games to ones poorly done is very low (or is it low? Damn I'm confused.).

Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,069,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Mainly because they view all video games as mindless. Which, truth be told, a large percentage of them are. The ratio of well written and executed games to ones poorly done is very low (or is it low? Damn I'm confused.).
Plus, the only games that seem to get the big marketing campaigns are the mindless shooters (Call of Duty) so that's all that the general public really sees of the industry (well, that and Angry Birds).

Old 07-04-2013, 10:03 AM

But they miss out on the Grand Strategy titles, as well as many other good games.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:41 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,969,228 times
I think part of this issue is due not only to the games themselves, but also the stigma that some recent hardcore gamers have given us. It is unfortunate, but alot of people see and hear about all the raging on video games where people are threatening bodily harm or worse to other players because they got killed in game. It is sad, but that's how it is, until we can get image fixed.

For those who do just think its toys, I have found the best way to get around that is tell them to go look up a good game on youtube, something story heavy such as Alan Wake or Bioshock. Usually changes a little bit of their mind. Will they think they are still toys? For the most part yes, but if you get right down to it games are just that, games. And usually games are considered toys. But, as with other toys that mostly get used by adults, such as $1000 RC planes and cars, it can still be viewed as a valid form of entertainment.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:06 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,763,726 times
Basically, its what one person likes as a hobby another person trashes on simply because they have zero interest in video games. Im 33, I play video games all the time. Granted, I don't play them as much as I used to (I swapped my 40 hours a week in games for a job that requires me to work 40 when I turned 18 lol). But I still enjoy them. Currently playing rift. Fun game. My gf likes watching. Especially when I play games like ME3 or Dead Space. She will sit down beside me and help locate items in-game I'm missing. But we do enjoy Borderlands 2 co-op. Oh Yea!! Sadly though, most of my coworkers don't play video games and some will even try to talk me out of playing!! Its in incredible!

Old 07-07-2013, 01:40 PM

I think the reason why people hate video games is because of how addictive they are. Has anyone ever seen the Penn and Teller Episode of Bull****: fast food(NSFW)? I kinda use that as an analogy on why people hate games of how addictive they are.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:51 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,763,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB93 View Post
I think the reason why people hate video games is because of how addictive they are. Has anyone ever seen the Penn and Teller Episode of Bull****: fast food(NSFW)? I kinda use that as an analogy on why people hate games of how addictive they are.
I have to agree. Have you tried Rift yet? Ohhh man! I love that game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games