Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the Wii U survive after the release of PS4 and Xbox1
Yes 38 67.86%
No 18 32.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:20 PM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Regardless, it's a business that needs the tides to change.
Honestly, I think they're done. Nintendo has always been the "odd duck" since the N64 generation. They stuck with cartridges when the PS went to discs. They went to the mini-disc type things for the GC when XBOX and PS2 were using DVD/CD-ROM. Since N64 they have been both behind the terms on hardware and running nonstandard systems. The Wii was an unexpected success and IMO, Nintendo has been living off past glory for a decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 01:34 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Nintendo generally uses alternative or nonstandard media like cartridges or mini discs to discourage piracy. It's for this reason that all their consoles turn out to be profitable because the money they don't make on hardware sales they eventually make up in software.

Most people who dislike the Wii U say it's because the gamepad isn't properly utilized and I somewhat agree with that. However, Nintendo has so many popular IP's that people will still buy Nintendo consoles even if the hardware doesn't live up to its full potential. I'm proof of that as I purchased my Wii U merely for the pleasure of Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. IV.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:16 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,314,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Honestly, I think they're done. Nintendo has always been the "odd duck" since the N64 generation. They stuck with cartridges when the PS went to discs. They went to the mini-disc type things for the GC when XBOX and PS2 were using DVD/CD-ROM. Since N64 they have been both behind the terms on hardware and running nonstandard systems. The Wii was an unexpected success and IMO, Nintendo has been living off past glory for a decade.
Spot on. I think it's cultural differences. Nintendo seems to be old school Japan: slow to change, don't want to admit wrongdoing, out of touch. While Microsoft and Sony seem to be progressive Western.

Old 05-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Spot on. I think it's cultural differences. Nintendo seems to be old school Japan: slow to change, don't want to admit wrongdoing, out of touch. While Microsoft and Sony seem to be progressive Western.
I think Nintendo is very old school. I just looked up a selection of Wii U games on Amazon. Almost all of them were Zelda, Mario, and Pikmin. How long has it been since Nintendo came out with a really new franchise? Their "bread and butter" are largely franchises that date back over two decades.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:51 PM

Nintendo's IP's alone can make the Wii U a success

We don't need no stinkin' 3rd party games to make the Wii U a success. All we need is updates to these:

1) Mario Kart - Coming soon
2) Super Smash Bros. - Next installment will be released this year
3) Legend of Zelda - Nintendo knows these games sell consoles
4) Star Fox - The rumor mill has shifted in to high gear
5) Pokemon - This franchise alone is worth a gazillion dollars
6) F-Zero - Falcon Punch!!!

And to a lesser extent:

Mario Strikers - Footy is the world's favorite sport
Mario Golf - Are there any better ways to spend a hot summer day than playing this game?
Mario Tennis - Few companies do multi-player better than Nintendo as proven by their tennis games

Old 05-13-2014, 06:47 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post

We don't need no stinkin' 3rd party games to make the Wii U a success.

by what bar?

Maybe Nintendo needs two CEOs. Its emulation of blackberry seems complete

Two CEOs

and a bunch of games owned by Nintendo

success

Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:

We don't need no stinkin' 3rd party games to make the Wii U a success. All we need is updates to these:

1) Mario Kart - Coming soon
2) Super Smash Bros. - Next installment will be released this year
3) Legend of Zelda - Nintendo knows these games sell consoles
4) Star Fox - The rumor mill has shifted in to high gear
5) Pokemon - This franchise alone is worth a gazillion dollars
6) F-Zero - Falcon Punch!!!

And to a lesser extent:

Mario Strikers - Footy is the world's favorite sport
Mario Golf - Are there any better ways to spend a hot summer day than playing this game?
Mario Tennis - Few companies do multi-player better than Nintendo as proven by their tennis games
But all of these IPs go back to at least the N64, many back to SNES or NES. When is Nintendo going to actually innovate again?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
But all of these IPs go back to at least the N64, many back to SNES or NES. When is Nintendo going to actually innovate again?
Sadly, innovation doesn't sell. Look at what a disaster the innovative Kinect 2.0 turned out to be for the Xbox One.

Anybody want to guess how many copies of Mario Kart 8 Nintendo will sell at launch? I've already got mine preordered and will be playing on-line that following weekend. Look me up, my NNID is Grizzster.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:30 AM

Default 9.0 out of 10

Mario Kart 8 Review - IGN

Quote:
Mario Kart 8 is a beautiful, fun kart racer that introduces sound new ideas to Nintendo’s 22-year old franchise. While it doesn't reach Double Dash-levels of risk and experimentation, Mario Kart 8 builds on the series' most essential aspects better than any of its predecessors. Twisting U-turns, a blistering sense of speed, skillful track designs, robust tournament and online features, and gorgeous graphics fall into lockstep all at once. The end result shouldn't come as a surprise: Mario Kart 8 is the king of the mascot kart circuit, and it gave me hours of enjoyment.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Sadly, innovation doesn't sell. Look at what a disaster the innovative Kinect 2.0 turned out to be for the Xbox One.

Anybody want to guess how many copies of Mario Kart 8 Nintendo will sell at launch? I've already got mine preordered and will be playing on-line that following weekend. Look me up, my NNID is Grizzster.
A lot of people find it wasteful, but I liked being able to turn it on remotely and Skype on it. I would hardly call it a "disaster."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games