Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexgrillSucks View Post
Flashy graphics does not make a good game. And I say this as a PC gamer who sees the PS/Xb as years behind the PC.

PS: Xbox one sucks IMO. Most of its entertainment features are either restricted or downright unusable to those not in North America.
Glad I'm in North America then!

Also, graphics isn't the only difference. Performance and gameplay are different. You cannot argue that it is not behind the times. If it was on par with the others, why are they not doing well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 03:20 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
I'm a pretty well rounded gamer and like the Wii for certain things. I have them all and only have favs depending on which game I'm playing.

All systems fail. Why? Because most casual gamers just play on their phone or Roku. Diehards care but the majority of people just don't. The game is always changing.

Game Over? Why Video-Game-Console Sales Are Plummeting | TIME.com

Wii and U, Xbox, PS3/4, dropping. It was a fad. Serious gamers will continue but the majority of entertainment junkies don't care what they play on. IMO, of course. And then there are the online dating/fighting games people just consider a second life.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:31 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
I'm 29 and the Wii U is the only console this generation that appeals to me, because I still enjoy Mario, Zelda and other various Nintendo franchises. I used to play PS2 and PS3 during my late teen and college years, but it phased out in my mid 20's. I just got so darn sick of dark, depressing shooter themed games with violence and super realistic games. Mario NEVER gets old. Xbox systems NEVER appealed to me in the slightest. I honestly believe that Nintendo systems are best for those aged under 12 and over 24. Kids aged 12-24 need violence to be satisfied and look cool. But it doesn't work for me. Sorry.

With that said, I wholeheartedly agree that Nintendo has seen better days and made some very stupid decisions with the Wii U. I love the Wii U, but seriously, they should have made it more competitive with the other consoles. Enough of this motion control and GamePad baloney. And even though I don't like dark themed realistic games, they seriously need to do more in that department and attract third party support. Also, they SERIOUSLY need to advance their whole online infrastructure (even though I despise online gaming). I would also suggest that they invent some new IP's instead of rehashing the same franchises over and over and over and over again (even though I still enjoy them). But they really need some fresh ideas for games that can appeal to gamers who want violence in their games and social interaction.

Now, I will NEVER play games on a smartphone or PC.

Last edited by nep321; 01-22-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 05:23 PM

I'm 31 and I like blowing noobs out of the sky on Call of Duty on Xbox.

Xbox is marketed to the age group with the most dispensable income: 24-45.
PS is marketed to the age group who will spend all of their money on video games: 18-30.
Wii is marketed to the age group who have the least dispensable income or who need their parents to shell in: 12-24.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
I'm 31 and I like blowing noobs out of the sky on Call of Duty on Xbox.

Xbox is marketed to the age group with the most dispensable income: 24-45.
PS is marketed to the age group who will spend all of their money on video games: 18-30.
Wii is marketed to the age group who have the least dispensable income or who need their parents to shell in: 12-24.
That's utter baloney. Most kids in middle school and high school think the Wii U is for kids and most won't buy it. Instead, THEY are the ones who want Xbox or PS, because in high school, kids are concerned about looking cool and Wii U comes off as a family console that's kid friendly. In my opinion, CoD and most shooter games are total garbage. That's why they end up in the bargain bin just a year or two later selling for $19.99 whereas a Mario game will hold it's value at $49.99 for up to FIVE years. CoD can't achieve that.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's utter baloney. Most kids in middle school and high school think the Wii U is for kids and most won't buy it. Instead, THEY are the ones who want Xbox or PS, because in high school, kids are concerned about looking cool and Wii U comes off as a family console that's kid friendly. In my opinion, CoD and most shooter games are total garbage. That's why they end up in the bargain bin just a year or two later selling for $19.99 whereas a Mario game will hold it's value at $49.99 for up to FIVE years. CoD can't achieve that.
CoD is not trying to achieve that. They release a game every year and don't make money off of used games. They kill in profits. They don't care how well Black Ops 1 is doing. Nintendo has to care about older games because they can't make any money.

And marketing. Despite what you may feel is the key demo, you have to think about money. Xbox has multimedia and streaming capabilities and focuses on in app purchases and nickel and diming. People with dispensable income. Hence the high price of XBox One. Hence the focus on a a holistic system.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
I use my Wii U every single day -- for web browsing. It has a great browser and the gamepad is much more comfortable to use than any phone or tablet. I can use it my living room, at my desk, even on the back porch.

I use my 3DS when traveling.

Super Mario 3D World is fantastic. I'm getting WindWaker HD soon. Looking forward to Kart. Considering Pikmin and the new Country. Hoping for an announcement about Metroid and a next gen Zelda one of these days. I'm 39 years old. I'm not a "fanboi." The only thing I really care about is fun. Nintendo first-party games just contain the kind of fun I want to have. The majority of the dude-bro garbage on the other two systems bores me to tears, and I have no use for a lot of their peripheral features. I will probably pick up a PS4 at some point (years?), but I'm in no hurry.

I know I'm in the minority (aaaaaand I'm used to it, as I'm in the minority on audiophile headphones and speakers, craft beer, progressive metal, motorcycles, politics, cuisine, literature, TV viewing, sports, cars, etc.). I think Nintendo made some mistakes with the design of the Wii U (low power consumption, low noise, small size over everything else, and immature dev tools) and the marketing of the Wii U (the name, poor advertising, bad timing). It will be interesting to see how they navigate the next twenty months.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:00 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
WII U is toast, and Nintendo is toast. ..
Dismal Wii U Sales Move Nintendo Closer To 'Game Over' - Forbes

Perhaps if they move to mobile ios support (i.e. Apple) they can make enough to stay in the game.

Personally - I would love to see Nintendo get gobbled up by Microsoft.

I just can't understand WTF Nintendo was doing with WII U. They were so focused on their competition (mobile phones) that they made a bad product.

I think if they would of took the WII to the next level (improved 3D controllers, kinect like features, and HD) instead of this tablet thingee. . .they would be far better at carving out a nitch.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:21 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
CoD and most shooter games are total garbage. That's why they end up in the bargain bin just a year or two later selling for $19.99 whereas a Mario game will hold it's value at $49.99 for up to FIVE years. CoD can't achieve that.
In 5 years CoD releases 5 games and have sold over 125 million copies cumulatively. Last years edition will always be cheaper. There are 40 million active players in CoD across platforms at any given time. Mario is awesome, I started playing those games day 1 and they easily stood the test of time. They both have tremendous revenue, but also appeal to a different type of experience. Mario I will play through once or twice with great enjoyment, but jumping on CoD for some rounds of Deathmatch never gets old for me, and many others.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I have a PS3 but only use it so I can download and play ps1 games.

Nintendo has been out of the race for anyone over the age of 15 for a lot longer than the wii. I had a N64 because I was 9 years old, but I sure as heck didn't buy a game cube when it came out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games