Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 PM

825 posts, read 2,819,925 times

Advertisements

My wife and I talked about buying a game system as a fun way to entertain ourselves. So begins the research process? TIA for any advice.

It would seem the two main options are Wii and PS3.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each system?

Are games bought for the PS3 only usable on that game console?

Are PS3 remote controllers truly 'remote' with no wires?

How does a 480p DVD look on a 1080p TV when played with the PS3?

Can a Wii play high resolution DVD's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 07:25 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
If I were you, I would go to www.gamestop.com and find where they have a store nearest you. They have all the current game systems in the store where you can play them AND change out the games to see if its something you will like. This way you can experience them for yourself. Each one is pretty unique in my opinion.

I am and always have been a HUGE fan of Nintendo so I have a Wii as well as many other older systems. When the PS3 and the Xbox 360 come down a little in price I might invest in those later.

Gamestop also sells used games at a nice savings as well as other accessories you might need, like gaming guides, controllers and so forth. Games these days are expensive, its a nice feature to be able to play them before you buy them. AND no I don't work for them, I just have been shopping with the company from before they were called Gamestop, back when it was Funcoland about 15 years ago.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,980,366 times
Default Wii vs. PS3

I think the average married couple would have more fun with the Wii just due to the style of gameplay it is geared towards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman View Post
What are the advantages and disadvantages of each system?
Wii: Neat, interactive style game play. Innovative controls, easy to pick up for a short while to have fun, etc.)

PS3: Amazing graphics (1080p), has a Blu-Ray player built in, free online gaming via bulit in WiFi, etc.)

Quote:
Are games bought for the PS3 only usable on that game console?
yes

Quote:
Are PS3 remote controllers truly 'remote' with no wires?
Yes. They may have some on the cheaper models that have wires, but most all I have seen are wireless.

Old 12-04-2007, 12:59 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,881 times
Wii is incredible fun - my wife and I got one about a month ago. It is a blast and the games are light and get you off your butt to play them. In our minds that makes Wii superior to every other game system. The games for Wii also tend to be "lighter" than those offered for the ps3... our kids are too young to play a game system but when they do I'd rather have them play games which aren't very dark and I can imagine the Wii will be a big hit with them as well. I don't think you can go wrong with a Wii - just my two cents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games