Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 12:30 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Gamestop will eventually go the way of the dodo bird.
Yes it will, partially due to games being more readily available for download, and partially because their customer service sucks. Due to multiple bad experiences with them, both with product and customer service quality, I can say I will not miss Gamestop when it is gone, and will most likely have a, "Thank god they finally died off," party when they do vanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 12:34 AM

307 posts, read 405,433 times
bring back cartriidges.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:03 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,800,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
I think Nintendo should kill Disc on there systems most definitely.

With stories like these Im looking at Gamestop, Wal Mart and Best Buy with curiosity and how they deal with changes. I try to make it a point to ONLY download classics. Im not downloading a game ill only play once and never return to it. I never buy games brand new & love reselling them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Gamestop will eventually go the way of the dodo bird.

Many people feel this way and that's why the video game companies keep repackaging old games and making them available for download.
I think I have to disagree about Gamestop and the other stores that sell games. I feel one of the points Blackpeach brought up is exactly while it will never go only digital. People like to buy and sell used it's a part of the economy of the video game world. Also when it comes to RPG's people like the retail boxes that come with goodies such as maps, figurines, art books, etc. I just don't think it's ever going to happen it's like the whole Kindle, Nook, ebook thing. People are dreaming if they think paper books are ever going to stop selling. Digital is only worth it when Steam offers a game for like 50 percent off or something but even then sometimes the stores like Best Buy and Gamestop will put up a sale to price match it.

Quote:
Yes it will, partially due to games being more readily available for
download, and partially because their customer service sucks. Due to multiple
bad experiences with them, both with product and customer service quality, I can
say I will not miss Gamestop when it is gone, and will most likely have a,
"Thank god they finally died off," party when they do vanish.
I don't think that's a good attitude to have. More options and competition in the consumer market is never a bad thing. I don't want to have to do everything online I like having a Gamestop down the street that I can use when I want to. How many Gamestops are all over the country? You can't label them all just because of a few bad apples.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:50 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Other than those who are clueless about video games (and I would think they wouldn't be posting here), what customer service do you need at GameStop? Go there, find your game, buy it. I've never had to say more than "no thank you" to them when they try to tack on their damn magazine.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Other than those who are clueless about video games (and I would think they wouldn't be posting here), what customer service do you need at GameStop? Go there, find your game, buy it. I've never had to say more than "no thank you" to them when they try to tack on their damn magazine.
The customer service I require, is when I am sold a busted system or game, not to be given the run around for 2 hours on the phone and 3 hours in person just to get my game/console replaced. Both new and used items I have bought from gamestop have been broken or defective beyond usability, and every time I went back to get a replacement, yes a replacement, not returning for cash, I wanted that game/console, I always got some sort of run around that took forever to get my stuff finally replaced.

So no, I do not shop there anymore, for anything. And yes, with the experiences I have had like this there, I think the whole chain should be closed down. And this is from every store they have within a 40 mile radius of myself (yes, I have gone out of my way to attempt to replace my in warranty xbox from them, hoping my luck would be better at a different location) so I'd be hard to convince that's its just a few bad apples.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:01 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I dont see the game disc going away for a VERY long time. It took a lot to get people to switch from the VHS tape to DVD. Once people caught the craze they were then required to change from standard DVD to blu ray/hd dvd. Then those people who picked to wrong format (hd-dvd) had to switch again to blu ray. That is a LOT of format change over the past 15(ish) years.

With that said, since I dont see the DVD craze ending any time soon I think video games will continue to use it.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:45 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
My download speeds are great but my ISP has tight bw caps, 350 gigs and then $10 per 100G fine after that. Makes gaming kind of expensive, id have used almost a third of my allowance if I had of downloaded BF4 and Ghosts. (not that id ever play a COD title but if I did...). Thanks suddenlink :S

Old 02-26-2014, 03:09 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
The main obstacle here is internet speeds. It takes like 20 hours just to download a 40 GB game, which is outrageous. Who wants to leave their console on for that long?? I suppose you could spend an extra $30+ per month for faster internet speeds from your provider, but that's just unfortunate.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:52 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,903,148 times
I'm not a fan of this but what can we do. This happening to all media via music, movies, and video games. I personally take great joy in going to gamestop to buy my games. I guess this mean no more trading in old games that you have completed towards the purchase of a new titles. The evolution of technology can be a gift and a curse, in this case it is a curse IMHO.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I don't mind whether I own discs or digital downloads, personally. However, at this time, discs seem more appealing, because internet download speeds just aren't fast enough to download games that are like 40 GB or more. Heck, it takes a long time to download a 3 GB game. The technology still has a long way to go as far as I'm concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games