Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:36 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times

Advertisements

Recently, somebody I considered a friend cheated in two games of online chess I played against them. The first time they beat me, they said nothing about their cheating in the course of a three hour AIM chat we had immediately afterwards, nor in the messages we exchanged the next day. It was only on that next day, 15 minutes after our second game, that they admitted they cheated in both games and only provided a tepid apology. Is this sort of thing the norm these days? Personally, I cannot imagine cheating when playing against somebody I consider a friend -- am I a bit odd for feeling this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,846,597 times
I cheated when a friend was playing with me online. We were playing Dungeon Siege 2 and we were just in the beginning part and near a merchant.. I minimized the window and started up my memory editor and gave myself a ton of gold coins. He went walking past me and I dropped about 500,000 in coins and he just stood there shocked and not knowing what happened. It was good for a laugh but I deleted the cash and we moved on playing. I don't normally cheat in video games unless they're single player and I already beat the game, or if the game is impossible to beat. Online I never cheat, I find that screwing over other people is pretty crappy. Besides that one little fun time with the gold pieces with a close friend, I never cheated online and never will. I find people who use aim bots in FPS / Shooter games online are crappy people in real life and I instantly get out of that game and move on to another server or make my own.

If they cheat to give themselves the advantage, I would be very optimistic playing them the next time they ask to play a game.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:51 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
Cheating ... now I remember back in the days when Amiga reigned supreme, cheats were actually useful - sometimes beating the game was close to impossible or very frustrating at least. This is when cheats came in handy
But cheating in online games ? Or multi player games in general ?
People do that, but I'll never understand why. Maybe it's because I'm somewhat skilled (who wouldn't be after so many years of gaming ) I never had a game where I was cannon fodder, usually I do at least alright. There are folks out there though that will remain "noobs" regardless of what they do ... there are also folks with huge egos that need to be fed, I guess these 2 groups are prone to cheating. Still, it's just a guess.
I remember a couple of years ago when I first encountered people really cheating in an online game, I was playing Bad company 2: Vietnam, and the moment I'd get out of my trench, I'd die. It happened over and over, until the guy that killed everyone got banned. Later I've found a video of what he did on youtube , the cheat he used made every bullet he fired hit a headshot...
Where's the fun in that ? Where's the satisfaction of getting better ? Of winning in a game that's not fixed ? This is what I really don't understand. People might use cheats as a crutch of sorts, to help them out when they're really weak. Noting I'd support, but I somewhat understand it. But to use cheats all the time ???

Old 03-05-2014, 10:27 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
I agree Yah, though I am not skilled. Still pretty much cannon fodder here with my gaming style If I try I do well but well I dont try hard very often. Dont scrim anymore so dont care much.

Some games where almost impossible without cheats, but those where in game codes put in by design. Up Up Down Left Left A type cheats. Today cheats are way out of whack of that. Subscription cheats that constantly update so they never get caught, there is absolutely no fun in that.

Here is some video's of hackers in BO that I made personally. Videos - Video Categories - Hackers Many of these guys still have Steam accounts and play BO still. They where reported with video link but no Vac bans. Theres just not that much to stop them. The only "fun" I can see of them would be pissing everyone off and seeing their reactions. Pressing a mouse button and getting a headshot through walls on the other side of the map surely cant be fun.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Recently, somebody I considered a friend cheated in two games of online chess I played against them. The first time they beat me, they said nothing about their cheating in the course of a three hour AIM chat we had immediately afterwards, nor in the messages we exchanged the next day. It was only on that next day, 15 minutes after our second game, that they admitted they cheated in both games and only provided a tepid apology. Is this sort of thing the norm these days? Personally, I cannot imagine cheating when playing against somebody I consider a friend -- am I a bit odd for feeling this way?
A bit off topic to start with... I'm little curious how exactly does one cheat at chess without the other player knowing it? As long as you know the rules one would think you would notice the cheating.

Back to the main topic. I don't think cheating really is the norm, but people do it for a variety of reasons. As Yac mentioned some probably do it because they aren't that good. I think some are basically trolls they do it to get a rise out of people. There is some gamers that don't normally cheat, but might do it once or twice just to see how it is being done. If you know how someone is cheating you might be able to stop it or workaround it etc.

Now the last sort are of them are properly the worst. If the game has some sort of ranking/leaderboard system some people get obsessed with getting to the top. If they aren't good enough the only option is to cheat. You can also see this some of the Free to Play games. I played C&C Tiberium Alliances for awhile some guys playing it would drop hundreds dollars to buy game funds just they could be at the top and basically overpower everyone else. Because they were so powerful they could basically brute force their way through without much thought or strategy, but it gave them bragging rights and fed their egos. Some of these guys could actually be good if they just spent some time practicing and developing the skills to compete.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:40 PM

Actually, I didn't intend this thread to be about cheating in general. I was wondering if people often cheat their friends, not simply strangers, when playing online games. The person who cheated me was somebody I'd known for years, which is why I was blindsided. The whole thing seemed really odd, and left a big "WTF?" caption bubble over my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmike View Post
A bit off topic to start with... I'm little curious how exactly does one cheat at chess without the other player knowing it? As long as you know the rules one would think you would notice the cheating.
They were using what they described as an app that suggests moves, so essentially I was playing against a bot that could probably see more moves in advance than any human possibly could.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:13 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,538 times
Its a game like seriously are there any gamers in this section lulz?

Rule 1.

No such thing as cheating

Rule 2.

Master the system

Rule 3.

If system broken developers say, "working as intended" or "........."

So what above tells you? Get with the program, maser exploits, "What the wise do in the beginning, fools do in the end" or "The fool is the last man to know".

Old 03-06-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
So what above tells you?
It tells me people need to spend more time developing their command of the English language and less time gaming. Thanks for the advice.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:59 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
Its a game like seriously are there any gamers in this section lulz?

Rule 1.

No such thing as cheating

Rule 2.

Master the system

Rule 3.

If system broken developers say, "working as intended" or "........."

So what above tells you? Get with the program, maser exploits, "What the wise do in the beginning, fools do in the end" or "The fool is the last man to know".
huh?

Old 03-08-2014, 12:20 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Everybody screen peeks, its hard not to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games