Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:04 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times

Advertisements

fisheye~
Quote:
The advantages of the PC are cheats and mods
Ok cheats I know,I'm a cheater from way back.... had the game genie for my Nintendo,and have always used walkthroughs! I buy a game to see and explore/play,not to sit stuck,but what are mods?

Ahhh,never mind,found it.Never heard of it before,except for game patches....My original MYST game needed one.

Mod (video gaming) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW,just watched the Skyrim trailer and saw the mention of Intense Violence/Blood and Gore so that takes it off my list,not into that stuff,really hate continual battles.Even though I sometimes watch my son play Assassin's Creed for short periods,I tell him all the time that is one 'sick' game with all the blood/gore!

I prefer adventure games without all the killing.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-14-2014 at 06:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 06:45 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
fisheye~ Ok cheats I know,I'm a cheater from way back.... had the game genie for my Nintendo,and have always used walkthroughs! I buy a game to see and explore/play,not to sit stuck,but what are mods?

Ahhh,never mind,found it.Never heard of it before,except for game patches....My original MYST game needed one.

Mod (video gaming) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW,just watched the Skyrim trailer and saw the mention of Intense Violence/Blood and Gore so that takes it off my list,not into that stuff,really hate continual battles.Even though I sometimes watch my son play Assassin's Creed for short periods,I tell him all the time that is one 'sick' game with all the blood/gore!

I prefer adventure games without all the killing.
lol not to dismiss your thoughts but if you think Assassin's Creed is "sick" for having blood/gore well...You really don't know many other games out today. It is nowhere NEAR as bloody/gory as 90% of other games today. If he ever plays God of War, you would probably have a heart attack.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
lol not to dismiss your thoughts but if you think Assassin's Creed is "sick" for having blood/gore well...You really don't know many other games out today. It is nowhere NEAR as bloody/gory as 90% of other games today. If he ever plays God of War, you would probably have a heart attack.
LOL, no doubt! That is why I play 'casual' games from sites like Gamehouse,and Big Fish Games.

Would like to get Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, if they ever make it work on today's new systems.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:51 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
OMG PC GAMERS! I thought I was alone in this world !!
I play lots of the HOG games and love those with a ongoing story line like the Ravenhurst storyline that is fun on a large screen .. Loved Myst and that stuff. Hack and slash games are fun if they are Mythos based .. I dont care for modern shooter games like my grandsons play .. ( must be my hippy days mindset ) but I love stuff like Diablo I, II, III and the expansion packs I am having a great time with the newest expansion pack Reaper of Souls .. the Crusader is awesome btw
I loved Baulder Gate and those games .. I like quest filled games alot ..

I am looking at Dragons age as a next game Has anyone played that?

I started PC gaming when I got my first computer at age 50 ( I am 66 now ) and have found it is a good way to waste time now that I am retired LOL yeh yeh old lady has nothing better to do than whack monsters and chat on line ..

If you play Diablo and are looking to party up in RoS shoot me a pm and I will give you my battle tag # and we can do a party ..

Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
I play lots of the HOG games and love those with a ongoing story line like the Ravenhurst storyline that is fun on a large screen .. Loved Myst and that stuff. Hack and slash games are fun if they are Mythos based .. I dont care for modern shooter games like my grandsons play .. ( must be my hippy days mindset ) but I love stuff like Diablo I, II, III and the expansion packs I am having a great time with the newest expansion pack Reaper of Souls .. the Crusader is awesome btw

I started PC gaming when I got my first computer at age 50 ( I am 66 now ) and have found it is a good way to waste time now that I am retired LOL yeh yeh old lady has nothing better to do than whack monsters and chat on line ..

If you play Diablo and are looking to party up in RoS shoot me a pm and I will give you my battle tag # and we can do a party ..
Why don't you check out Skyrim (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and I_love_autumn can check out games like The Longest Journey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - but that might require patches to play on the newer computers?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:09 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:

You might like Neverwinter in that case. It is similar to Baulder's Gate and Diablo in that it is fantasy, but it is also very different from both games. Both Baulder's Gate and Neverwinter are based upon the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game from the 1980s. It is also free to play.

Guild Wars 2 is another fantasy-based MMORPG you might enjoy, but it is not free.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:

Ever hear of the King's Quest series? I only had KQ VI:Heir Today,Gone Tomorrow,but my daughter and I had a blast playing it.

Yeah, questing in a big world to explore is what I like too.I don't play any online games or multi-player games.

Nope you sure aren't alone,but one would sure think so here at the CD forums!

There used to be a HUGE very active member forum at BFG,but when we all started ***ching about their crappy move to 'Free-To-PLay games that are nothing but rip-offs where you can't advance unless you buy stuff like lives[like the games on FB],they did away with the forums,and lost most of their customers.

I'm just enjoying my old games now until I see how many games will come out that will even play on WIN. 8.1.

Microsoft lately is getting as bad as Apple,changing the freaking OS every 18 months,and ASPYR who ports the games for Macs told me that is why there are way fewer games for that system,because they can't keep up with how often they change the OS,so the idiots at both Apple and Microsoft, are forcing gamers to use other systems to play games. That reason, and the insane controllers is why I gave up console games,and PC games are so much cheaper. No sooner get a few games for a console and the system is obsolete,now dang computers are starting the same crapby changing their OS every couple years!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 04-14-2014 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Ever hear of the King's Quest series? I only had KQ VI:Heir Today,Gone Tomorrow,but my daughter and I had a blast playing it.

Yeah, questing in a big world to explore is what I like too.I don't play any online games or multi-player games.

Nope you sure aren't alone,but one would sure think so here at the CD forums!

There used to be a HUGE very active member forum at BFG,but when we all started ***ching about their crappy move to 'Free-To-PLay games that are nothing but rip-offs where you can't advance unless you buy stuff like lives[like the games on FB],they did away with the forums,and lost most of their customers.

I'm just enjoying my old games now until I see how many games will come out that will even play on WIN. 8.1.

Microsoft lately is getting as bad as Apple,changing the freaking OS every 18 months,and ASPYR who ports the games for Macs told me that is why there are way fewer games for that system,because they can't keep up with how often they change the OS,so the idiots at both Apple and Microsoft, are forcing gamers to use other systems to play games. That reason, and the insane controllers is why I gave up console games,and PC games are so much cheaper. No sooner get a few games for a console and the system is obsolete,now dang computers are starting the same crapby changing their OS every couple years!
I use to be an Apple developer many years ago. Changing operating systems is not why most developers do not develop for Apple. It is because Apple keeps its operating systems proprietary. Jumping through all the hoops and red-tape to get what should be basic information is simply not worth the effort. Particularly since developers can get all the operating system information from Microsoft for free.

If you want people to develop software for your computer, provide free open source access to your operating system. A lesson Microsoft learned in the 1980s, and something Apple has never learned.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I use to be an Apple developer many years ago. Changing operating systems is not why most developers do not develop for Apple. It is because Apple keeps its operating systems proprietary. Jumping through all the hoops and red-tape to get what should be basic information is simply not worth the effort. Particularly since developers can get all the operating system information from Microsoft for free.

If you want people to develop software for your computer, provide free open source access to your operating system. A lesson Microsoft learned in the 1980s, and something Apple has never learned.
Really? I wonder why the guy I talked to told me what he did? What you say makes sense too, so I don't disagree,but I do know that I am getting sick and tired of this same BS with my PC that was the #1 reason I stopped buying consoles/games and switched to PC!

Since I switched.... WIN-98 and WIN-XP have been the only two decent Windows versions Microsoft can come up with,or changing the OS is nothing but a money gimmick!!!!!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Really? I wonder why the guy I talked to told me what he did? What you say makes sense too, so I don't disagree,but I do know that I am getting sick and tired of this same BS with my PC that was the #1 reason I stopped buying consoles/games and switched to PC!

Since I switched.... WIN-98 and WIN-XP have been the only two decent Windows versions Microsoft can come up with,or changing the OS is nothing but a money gimmick!!!!!
The primary reason why operating systems change is due to changes in hardware. New CPUs (particularly when they change the number of bits that can be processed - 8, 16, 32, 64, etc.), more memory, more hard drive space, etc., all have an effect on operating systems. For example, under the 32-bit version of Windows XP you could only access a maximum of 4 GB of RAM, but with a 64-bit version of Windows XP (or 64-bit Vista or Windows 7/8) you can access up to 192 GB of RAM.

Most of the time (80% to 90%) programs, and games, will function just fine upgrading them from a 32-bit to a 64-bit operating system. However, there can be issues with older programs and games, depending upon how they were originally developed.

One more thing you should be made aware. In the past PCs use to be based upon a single CPU, and every time you upgraded to a faster PC your software got correspondingly faster. That is no longer true today. We have reached the physical limits to what can be put on a silicon chip. So instead of increasing the clock speed (and the temperature) of the PC, they simply add more CPUs. Today's PCs actually run slower than prior PCs, but they have more CPUs so they can process more information faster.

This poses a problem for developers. No longer will programs get faster when you upgrade, because the clock speeds are actually slower. The only way a developer can take advantage of multiple CPUs is through parallel programming. In other words, develop the application/game so that it allocates various tasks to more than one CPU simultaneously. This opens up a whole new can of worms (such as "racing") that developers have never had to deal with before. However, if done correctly, every time you upgrade and add more CPUs to your PC, your program/game will get faster.

Last edited by Glitch; 04-15-2014 at 08:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games