Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 01:37 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,457,555 times

Advertisements

i agree..i didnt get far in beta but past 3 days ive played a lot.

dont get me wrong, wildstar i thik will be successful, but its not for me. its more for the wow crowd, where archeage will probably be the much better game (at least for old schoolers like myself) and fail hard over here.
hey my first mmorpg was the original lineage so i am drawn to archage but it might as well just go straight to f2p once the 'i have to buy the game to play in beta' crowd all pays up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 09:50 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,869,867 times
It will be free to play, but the optional subscription gives you a couple of bonuses, the main 2 being labor generation increase and ability to get housing/farm land.

I plan on playing this game for at least 6 months, probably much more, so the $150 spent on the alpha pack is basically me pre-paying for the game time, at a cheaper rate too if you count being able to play several months before the game even comes out. Not only that but I get all the stuff that comes with alpha access. I basically paid for 10 months worth of subscription and am getting at minimum 10 months of game time out of it. Worth it.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:49 AM

you are a good salesman, i will probably pick that up. already bored of wildstar but the housing is cool.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:02 AM

Haha, I try not to be but it really is a fun game, lately I cannot get enough of sport fishing and treasure hunting, it's very fun.

Also I've gone from lvl 40 to 47 without doing a single quest, which is awesome.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:34 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adyn View Post
Haha, I try not to be but it really is a fun game, lately I cannot get enough of sport fishing and treasure hunting, it's very fun.

Also I've gone from lvl 40 to 47 without doing a single quest, which is awesome.
Sport fishing and treasure hunting? Now you have me really interested. I love these kinds of activities in an MMO.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:02 PM

what is lvl cap and how long to reach it? thats my main issue with all the games recently, its hard to get invested when you can just make a character in a week to be basically the same thing.

i miss old school lineage 1 where i played for 6 months and no one was 50 on the entire server yet..or even DAoC in its infancy when it took a good while to lvl up and the dude you grouped with yesterday isn't 15 lvl's ahead of you today.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
what is lvl cap and how long to reach it? thats my main issue with all the games recently, its hard to get invested when you can just make a character in a week to be basically the same thing.

i miss old school lineage 1 where i played for 6 months and no one was 50 on the entire server yet..or even DAoC in its infancy when it took a good while to lvl up and the dude you grouped with yesterday isn't 15 lvl's ahead of you today.
I've been playing for 2 or 3 weeks now and I still haven't hit the cap, and I don't really feel like I need to. You definitely CAN level up to 50 in about a week if you put a lot of time in grinding but it's not how the game is meant to be played and there really isn't any reason behind it with the exception of PVP, kind of. I'll put it like I was told before I bought it: The end game starts at level 1......you don't have to hit max level to accomplish anything (unless you want to be good in pvp, but even then a skilled level 35 can take out an unprepared level 50 without much issue). The scaling is not as dramatic as in most MMOs, where you can run a dungeon 10 levels over cap and flail through it like you aren't even trying.

I will say that you WILL be overwhelmed your first week or so in. Find a good guild and ask questions or watch a LOT of streams. Don't get discouraged.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy20 View Post
Sport fishing and treasure hunting? Now you have me really interested. I love these kinds of activities in an MMO.
Sport fishing is very fun, but can be slightly frustrating if you aren't very skilled in fishing proficiency. The higher in fishing you are, the higher "damage" you'll do to the fish and the more chance you'll have of a larger fish. They can be turned into wall mounts for your house or you can sell them to a fish vendor for gold depending on how big they are. Basically when you go sport fishing you have to find a school of fish, chum the waters to get them in a feeding frenzy and then use a special bait to attract them. Once they're on the line, you have to watch what the fish does (swim left, right, away, jump in the air or swim down) and counter those actions with skills on your fishing hotbar. Countering damages the fish and lowers the tension debuff (too much tension and the line will snap). Once the fish gets to zero health you can pick it up and put it on your back and swim or sail back to town to reap your rewards.

Treasure hunting is a little more casual and it's somewhat rare to actually find a shiip wreckage or an underwater treasure chest. It can be done in a variety of ways and you can craft things like flippers and diving helmets and submarines to help you.

Another note is if you are really into dungeon crawling, this may not be the game for you, at least yet. There are only 3 dungeons in the game and while there are world bosses that require 20-40 people to take down, they aren't often attempted. It's not like WOW where you raid once, twice, three times a week. It's a rare thing and it's fun but not a main objective of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games