Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:02 AM

143 posts, read 331,657 times

Advertisements

B.) for me. Playing an RPG game, to me, is like reading a novel but with the visuals and (some) actions thrown in to it. Plus like someone else had said, I like the planning/optimization that an RPG involves. I have played several genres but RPG is still my favorite.

OP, don't you think you are bias when you used terms such as "confusing" and "boring" to describe an RPG game? I could very well say that FPS games are boring and confusing to me.

And yes, the SNES era definitely had the best JRPGs in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 01:19 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,872,263 times
My first RPG was Final Fantasy 7 when I was 11. Since then I've played tons of jRPGs.

Honestly, they have really been the only types of games I've been into. Never been much of a gamer besides enjoying an RPG. Before that I played your standard games like Mario and other NES games.

Oh, and to put it out there... Western RPGs are complete sh*t and new RPGS suck. Skyrim was terrible, Fable terrible.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 AM

132 posts, read 120,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesthebass View Post
So, if you are A) , didn't you find weird or strange or confusing or boring the RPGs like Final Fantasy(NES) or any RPG for SNES?
Did you just found yourself naturally playing an RPG?
What kind of games were you on before trying RPGs?

I actually started gaming before RPGs were on a video game console. Though having a background of playing D&D when I was a kid, I was already interested in the genre. The first one I came across was Dragon Warrior and I fell in love with it. Then came Final Fantasy and it was a match made in heaven until recent years, when they got away from traditional RPG gameplay.

Before I came across Dragon Warrior, it was mainly platform games like SMB or old Atari games. It really wasn't long after I had bought my NES that I came across Dragon Warrior.

I think this is an important factor when players comes from a table top or PC text game and then having it with more effects and music, it does increase the experience.

I've never played a table top RPG, I have a friend who is very nerd about lots of fantasy and anime stuff, I didn't know the D&D cartoons from my childhood were a table game, he told me that.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgiomax View Post
Hi

I have a question for those who like RPGs, specially the turn-based ones from the 2D era(90s or 80s).

Assuming you liked RPGs, what of the following cases was yours?

A ) Before playing RPGs, you came from playing games like platform adventures(Mario Bros), shooters, gunning and running(Contra), beatem ups(Double Dragon) and maybe Super Metroid...etc.

B ) RPGs where your first genre of Games

So, if you are A) , didn't you find weird or strange or confusing or boring the RPGs like Final Fantasy(NES) or any RPG for SNES?

If you're B), in this case, I kind of understand you just tried for first time a game and liked it I guess.
It's A in my case. I have played a lot of games in my life, like Mario and other old stuff. And then I have tried some really cool modern RPGs, and I just fell in love. My favourite game of all times is Diablo 2. This game takes a special place in my heart. I have spent thousands of hours on that game, and I don't regret about that at all. I have also spent some money on items for that game from http://www.d2king.com. However, they were cheap, so it's ok.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:13 PM

17,219 posts, read 12,099,241 times
I guess A since RPGs weren't really a thing when I started...Pac-Man era and all. Zork was there but didn't discover that till much later.

I date back to pretty much the beginning of the industry taking off. First console RPG I played was Quest for the Rings on the Magnavox Odyssey 2. Which had a big board and pieces that you played along with the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6xzZL3BvgU

I wasn't really aware SNES had any RPGs other than ravings I heard about Earthbound. I went to the Turbo Grafx-16 in that generation with Dungeon Explorer, Ys, Cadash, D&D Order of the Griffin, Neutopia, etc.

But the first RPG that I was really into spending tons of time with was Pool of Radiance on the Apple II which I was a bit obsessed with and every once in awhile I still break it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLzWR1qtXpM

Old 01-11-2020, 12:39 PM

4,542 posts, read 5,366,433 times
Quote:
Question for those who like RPGs (mainly SNES era) (Xbox 360, Nintendo, movie)

A ) Before playing RPGs, you came from playing games like platform adventures(Mario Bros), shooters, gunning and running(Contra), beatem ups(Double Dragon) and maybe Super Metroid...etc.
Quote:
I am definitely "A". When I first started RPG games, I thought they were very slow, boring and nerdy. I am from the old NES and SNES days and tried RPGs like Final Fantasy and hated them. I guess Silent Hill was the first RPG game I actually kinda liked (if you can consider it an RPG). I just never liked the elf/fantasy/magical games as I was a COD, Metal Gear Solid, Street Fighter, Doom fan.

I've tried many RPG games and didnt like any of them until Skyrim. Even then, I HATED it for the first few levels, but when I reached level 10 or so it just "clicked" and I started LOVING it. Tried WOW for a while but dont bother with it anymore. Tried and hated Morrowind, Oblivion, Dark Souls, Witcher, Mass Effect, Fallout, etc and HATED all of them.

Now, 90% of my RPG time is spent playing Elder Scrolls Online with the remaining 10% on Skyrim (pc) with tons and tons of mods. These are the only RPG games I play. But I am still a COD first person shooter fan. Its just those two (and ONLY those two) RPG games I find enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games