Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 AM

132 posts, read 120,768 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have a question for those who like RPGs, specially the turn-based ones from the 2D era(90s or 80s).

Assuming you liked RPGs, what of the following cases was yours?

A ) Before playing RPGs, you came from playing games like platform adventures(Mario Bros), shooters, gunning and running(Contra), beatem ups(Double Dragon) and maybe Super Metroid...etc.

B ) RPGs where your first genre of Games

So, if you are A) , didn't you find weird or strange or confusing or boring the RPGs like Final Fantasy(NES) or any RPG for SNES?
Did you just found yourself naturally playing an RPG?
What kind of games were you on before trying RPGs?

If you're B), in this case, I kind of understand you just tried for first time a game and liked it I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:01 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I remember we had an NES when I was really little then my parents got me a SNES when it came out. I was your typical kid into Mario. I had the Zeldas for NES but didn't like them. Keep in mind I was playing those NES games in the mid 90s when I was around 10.

I got into RPGs in middle school. I think the first one may have been Mario RPG for SNES. I got a used copy of Chrono Trigger shortly after and loved it.

I got into Final Fantasy 7 then Tactics and played a lot of original PS RPGs afterward. I've played RPGs on all consoles since then.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:10 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Before RPGs I liked adventure games like Zelda, Link to the Past.... also the 2 Zeldas on the Nintendo NES, along with the Super Mario Games, Kid Icarus, Rygar.

I've always been into games where you power yourself up as you go along, as in Kid Icarus, or Mario 3 where you can store up a supply of P-Wings for later use if you do it correctly. I like to use tactics to overpower my character to make the game easy so I can enjoy the story and the graphics. This can be done in games like Final Fantasy VIII and Suikoden 2. In Super Metroid you can get extra energy tanks. In Zelda for the NES you can get a bunch of coin, upgrade the sword and armor right away if you want. I like making the game easier so I can enjoy the story more.

RPGs are all about powering oneself up, combined with a storyline of some sort. They have a feeling of open endedness even though they really are not usually. Same with Zelda 1 for the NES.. you can wander all over the place right from the start.

So open endedness and explorability combined with the ability to upgrade the power of your character is the type of game that attracted me. Zelda, Link to the Past and Secret of Mana were two of my favorite games on the SNES. Also Super Metroid, and of course, the Final Fantasy games.

With modern games I enjoy GTA San Andreas (not modern anymore) ... Skyrim, Fallout New Vegas, Just Cause 2, Far Cry series, Bioshock series.. the newest RPGs that I actually liked and played would be Final Fantasy XII for the PS2. My gaming time has decreased as I've gotten older, down to very little the last year.

Last edited by sholomar; 05-17-2014 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 07:10 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,039 times
Ironically, I never went into the RPG craze until the Playstation. I did however get started with Super Mario RPG and Earthbound, its a shame those were one-off titles never to be repeated again. I just couldn't muster Paper Mario or had a handheld to try the new RPGs.

From Playstation on I've become glued to Final Fantasy and even played the anthologies for the titles I missed out on from the SNES. There were also some nice titles like Grandia, Suikoden, .//hack. Then many jRPGs started with atrocious voice acting, crazy nonsense storylines, and sometimes j-poppy references and styles ( I understand they're from Japan, it's just wasn't my cup of tea.) and it took me right out of the genre.

Then the Xbox 360 came along and I was introduced back to WRPGs from the likes of Fallout, Elder Scrolls and a few oddballs here and there.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 PM

3,529 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Giorgiomax, I am curious as to why you are now interested in going back and exploring turn-based RPGs of that era? With turn-based RPGs, you have to have an understanding of the battle mechanics and always be thinking about strategy. In can, at times, involve long-term planning. Also, RPGs aren't made like that much anymore, as I'm sure a lot of modern players would find "waiting" boring. You might want to try a modern RPG. Admittedly, I don't play the modern ones, but I think they've mostly gone to the "button-mashing" style where the computer does a lot of the moves for you. Modern players seem to like that more than turn-based games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgiomax View Post
A ) Before playing RPGs, you came from playing games like platform adventures(Mario Bros), shooters, gunning and running(Contra), beatem ups(Double Dragon) and maybe Super Metroid...etc.
My primer would have been in the NES era, actually. The Legend of Zelda was a main one. That is the closest to an RPG experience for the NES, IMO, although it's an action-adventure game and not an RPG. It had an "epicness" about it. The NES did have turn-based RPGs with random battle encounters, such as Dragon Warrior and Ultima, but they were just okay. But I liked my Zelda, Bases Loaded II, Battletoads, Paperboy, Super Mario 3, and the original Metroid was good too. Oh yeah, Crystalis is another action-adventure RPG that was good. The arcades (remember those?) back then were Russian Attack, Turtles II, and games like that.

Quote:
So, if you are A) , didn't you find weird or strange or confusing or boring the RPGs like Final Fantasy(NES) or any RPG for SNES?
No, because I was open to the experience and letting myself take in the game. I had no clue what this kind of game was. But I gave it time. When Final Fantasy III came out, there was nothing like it--from the opening scene, it was like playing a movie. I have written this on here before, but Final Fantasy III was one of the last games I tried from the rental store back then. I avoided it because it looked too hard/confusing. I eventually rented it, and it became a game-changer as far as the types of games I played.

You play RPGs for two main reasons: (1) Epic, long storlylines and (2) battles and leveling up your characters.

In general, RPGs are the most well-rounded games. It is difficult to say how someone who has never played a turn-based RPG would approach FFIII, particularly at an older age. I can see how they would think it was boring.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:35 PM

132 posts, read 120,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Giorgiomax, I am curious as to why you are now interested in going back and exploring turn-based RPGs of that era? With turn-based RPGs, you have to have an understanding of the battle mechanics and always be thinking about strategy. In can, at times, involve long-term planning. Also, RPGs aren't made like that much anymore, as I'm sure a lot of modern players would find "waiting" boring. You might want to try a modern RPG. Admittedly, I don't play the modern ones, but I think they've mostly gone to the "button-mashing" style where the computer does a lot of the moves for you. Modern players seem to like that more than turn-based games.
I stopped at the SNES on 1994, I've never played any other system since then, besides my PC and even in this one was just Quake, Medal of Honor and that's it from back then, I understand I'm missing a lot of good stuff.
But I got nostalgic about my SNES and researched it, I found out there was great titles that I didn't even know about and the ones I knew I didn't play it(Zelda).

For what I found out after hundreds of videos on YouTube and websites, the RPGs on SNES have awesome quality, I've seen them, I' checked why people liked them, I checked the music, and because I did played Super Metroid I kind of know what they are talking about in regards to have played an Awesome game(not necessarily RPG)

So, I want to play some good games from SNES, and because these seem to be RPGs or "Actions RPGs" I'm kind of worried I won't like them because of a wrong approach, so I did try Final Fantasy III and these Battle Screens were weird, I was trying to battle in real time ... but with screens!, so you can imagine all the fast clicking to avoid the enemy attack and etc. didn't know what the heck I was doing.
And it got annoying like in the 4th or 5th battle.
I stopped there assuming I may be doing something wrong, I better check some more info with manuals and such before playing again.

I want to like a good game, those games that have given awesome experiences to other players.

Btw, not an RPG, but I may try Zelda A link to the Past first, I've never played a game like that.

I have my own business, single and no kids, so I may try to set myself in a way like back then, when I was a kid and no other worries nor priorities, only experiencing a game like I did with Super Metroid.

Last edited by giorgiomax; 05-21-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 05-22-2014, 08:27 AM

3,529 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giorgiomax View Post
So, I want to play some good games from SNES, and because these seem to be RPGs or "Actions RPGs" I'm kind of worried I won't like them because of a wrong approach, so I did try Final Fantasy III and these Battle Screens were weird, I was trying to battle in real time ... but with screens!, so you can imagine all the fast clicking to avoid the enemy attack and etc. didn't know what the heck I was doing.
And it got annoying like in the 4th or 5th battle.
I stopped there assuming I may be doing something wrong, I better check some more info with manuals and such before playing again.
Quote:
Btw, not an RPG, but I may try Zelda A link to the Past first, I've never played a game like that.
I think to start things off, as a beginner, Zelda would be a good option. I do sometimes forget that an RPG can be a lot to take in for beginners. Zelda is an open-world quest/adventure game, but it is much more straightforward than the turn-based RPGs. Similar feels, but a hack-n'-slash type experience instead of using menus. To be sure, what you read is true: the SNES has the best RPGs of any system. It was truly the Golden Age of gaming.

Quote:
I want to like a good game, those games that have given awesome experiences to other players.
Yeah, we did kind of throw you into the lion's den, so to speak, by recommending Final Fantasy III (VI) as your first RPG. It is a very involved game. It was then and it would be now. These days I find myself content enough by laying out the defense in some NHL '94 every once in awhile.

It is interesting. I wonder if it's one of those things that if you hadn't experienced it when it happened, well, I don't know if you could have the same feels about it now. Sort of like Woodstock or something like that. You can go back and listen to the recordings, but unless you were there...

Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,530 times
Well the idea of an RPG is for the graphics, story and representation really. I came to discover it, for those things. It is like being blasted in the face with imagery, but the problem is that it is very long for many people.

Before playing RPG games, everything was Mario and Sonic. Personally nowadays, I prefer something moving games. I like turn based games, but I am over the graphics phenomenon it was. While the game last for a really long time, and their are all kinds of things to do. I am tired of RPG genre. I know many people from the DAD background like RPG because it adds to that element.

RPG was never strange or boring. It is hard to think, because like an comic book 99% of the action is imaginary.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:20 AM

688 posts, read 897,399 times

I actually started gaming before RPGs were on a video game console. Though having a background of playing D&D when I was a kid, I was already interested in the genre. The first one I came across was Dragon Warrior and I fell in love with it. Then came Final Fantasy and it was a match made in heaven until recent years, when they got away from traditional RPG gameplay.

Before I came across Dragon Warrior, it was mainly platform games like SMB or old Atari games. It really wasn't long after I had bought my NES that I came across Dragon Warrior.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:45 AM

387 posts, read 589,167 times
I had the NES and SMS. started off playing side scrolling shooters. dragon warrior and shadowgate on the nes were my first rpg, then golvellius on the sms. i found it different, yet satisfying. years later i picked up phantasy star III.....loved the story but couldn't stomach the endless random attacks anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games