Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2024, 01:46 PM

35,167 posts, read 31,475,700 times

Advertisements

I beat Crisis Core Reunion last week. It was a cool tack on to the FF7 universe - interesting backstory, but nothing critical.

I beat some indie FFT clone called Arcadian Atlas Friday. Simple gameplay, a very poor man's FFT. Decent but nothing to write home about.

I played Sea of Stars this weekend. Again, a decent time filler throwback to the SNES days, but not a GOTY or anything.

I got my last real achievement needed for the Star Ocean 2 Remake platinum last night. I need to beat the game again with two characters I didn't select before, so will hopefully do that tonight or tomorow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 10:23 PM

3,545 posts, read 3,748,742 times
Default Champion of Ivalice

I finished up my platinum run of Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age just a bit ago.

What a jaunt this game was, in a good way, although I had to earn that platinum the hard way! For the past few days, I had been leveling up and acquiring all that's necessary to beat the Yiazmat superboss with 50 million hit points (not a typo), as well as getting through the 100 Trials sidequest where you have to beat a bunch of the bosses and superbosses in the game, with the 100th trial arguably being the most difficult of them all when fighting the five judges. But I got it done to obtain the Champion of Ivalice platinum trophy.

FFXII is quite expansive in general with a huge map to explore. Fully exploring every inch of every map netted me the cartographer trophy. This trophy is obtainable wherever your last-needed area is covered/completed. I obtained this trophy at the Hell Wyrm superboss. I found that fitting.

I enjoyed the gambit system that automates a lot of the moves. Make no mistake, though, FFXII is definitely no cakewalk. There were very difficult enemy melees and boss fights where my characters died a lot, even with good gambit setups, so I was continually challenged every step of the way to make adjustments. And that is what Final Fantasy XII is all about: strategy, so it was very satisfying when I finally took down tough boss after tough boss. The fighting system was also a lot more turn-based (ATB is used) than I was expecting, plus I had the ability to interrupt the AI for manual inputs anytime I wanted, which was often.

So-sos: The characters and story are plenty serviceable, but a little more depth would've been nice. Not bad, though. Didn't care much for the NPCs as they offered mostly small talk that didn't add much to the lore, or their sole purpose was for fetch quests. Music was not that memorable. Some copypasta dungeons just to make them longer.

The bad: navigation. A lot of hit this switch gate to open a path, hit another to open a new path, etc. That wouldn't be so bad if the navigation wasn't so poor at times, especially for The Pharos at Ridorana, the Giruvegan entry area where have to summon Gigas, and The Great Crystal in particular where the map is disabled altogether. Even the uploaders for the YouTube guides I watched were getting lost in The Great Crystal. If you know, you know. These lower level and upper level maps of The Great Crystal were the best I could find.

Overall a decent entry in the franchise.

My ranking of the Final Fantasy games I've played so far:

Spoiler
1) VI
2) VII
3) VIII
4) XII
5) X-2 (fun, laid-back is why it's above X for me)
6) X (lower ranking due to pacing)
7) IV
8) IX (dead last for good reason)
Now to get the PS3 back out and start on Final Fantasy XIII.

Old 01-17-2024, 08:09 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,783,643 times
Finished Phantom Liberty, one of the best DLC's I've ever played. Great main storyline as well as side missions.

Now finishing up the main Cyberpunk game.

Old 01-19-2024, 02:54 PM

6,609 posts, read 12,115,348 times
God of War Ragnarök. Started playing it on Thanksgiving weekend as it's one of the several games I bought during the Black Friday sale.

Old 01-19-2024, 03:02 PM

1,063 posts, read 921,074 times
Lunar Command.

Old 01-20-2024, 05:42 PM

Started Mass Effect 1 (Legendary edition which came with three games).

It's amazing that a game released way back in 2007 is still so engaging and fun to play. It reminds me of Starfield, but a lot more engaging.

Old 01-27-2024, 06:31 PM

3,545 posts, read 3,748,742 times
I finished Final Fantasy XIII.

The cutscenes and cinemeography in this game are gorgeous and haven't aged a day IMO. I liked the story setup/elements and a lot of the settings. Story gets melodramatic at times. OST was on point. The datalog stayed consistently updated, so if I happened to miss something, I could pull it up and read the updates. Also, I knew going in and was prepared for linear gameplay, but it was kind of shocking for a FF title that there were only four things to do in the first 80% of the game: press forward, fight battles, open a treasure sphere ever once in a while, and watch the story. That...is...it. Battle system was kind of average, but it grew on me as the game went along.

Overall, I didn't mind playing this one. I wouldn't mind finishing up a lot of the side content, but for now, I will be starting on Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:57 PM

Finished Mass Effect 1, about halfway through ME2

Old 01-29-2024, 05:23 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,919,660 times
Playing the Last of Us, Remastered. So far I can't see any difference in it and the original. The graphics and not really different or improved, even on the PS5.

Old 01-31-2024, 12:35 PM

Finished Mass Effect 2, now playing ME 3. Can't wait for the next ME game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games