Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2024, 04:15 PM

3,558 posts, read 3,755,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I agree some of the gate-hopping stuff is a little convoluted, but by the time you get to the final fight, that just feels like a checkpoint in the story. There was some much more that was good after that it really enriched the whole product. I think it's a masterwork IMO. It's definitely up there with VII OG and XVI as my favorite.

Take the XIII-2 platinum vs. the XVI platinum. You have to run back XVI on FF difficulty to get it. I think I finished the main XVI play through in 50-60 hours. It was 98h to the platinum by the time I did the "hard mode" play through. The normal difficulty is way too easy. FF mode gave me a lot more freedom in terms of load out. There was probably 30h on the hard mode, even skipping most cutscenes.

You're not having to do the repetitive second play through. Some NG+s add new content or something to make you want to come back.

I'm most of the way through Lightning Returns. By the time you get a little more freedom with the battle system, you've probably lost interest in the game. I'd rate the game a solid 7.5/10 once it does open up, but it's easily the weakest of the bunch.

I beat IX last weekend. It probably has the best artwork and ambiance of all three of the PSX games, but by far the weakest cast.

I've been nibbling at V here and there - fun, but the PR set is something I just play a bit of here and there.

I bought the deluxe edition of Rebirth, and honestly, it is doing nothing at all for me.

I got Unicorn Overlord last night. Only about five hours in, but loving it so far.
It comes down to personal preference and what you like to see in RPG storylines. While I like science fiction, there's something about playing a 40+ hour video game with those themes versus, say, watching a TV show or movie that feels a bit...off-putting (not the right word). It seems the Square writers are science fiction fans at heart, and less so fantasy readers; in a lot of the past Final Fantasy entries up until XIII-2, you can see the science fiction influences mixed in with fantasy. While those themes are there in those games, they're easier to let go because you're at least not overloaded with them.

XIII-2: There are plenty of neat fantasy scenes and concepts in XIII-2, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't get any more sci-fi than time tavel. They really wanted to write Chrono Trigger 3.0 with the Final Fantasy name and budget, with Lightning Returns being 4.0. They're a lot more into time manipulation than I will ever be. It's the same problem I had with VIII, which I think is otherwise a great game. For XIII-2, with multiple timelines, paradoxes - even double paradoxes! - multiple endings, etc., it's an intentional blank check where the writers don't want to be pinned down to a concrete narrative. Or maybe I've been playing too many of these games in a row, which is essentially condensing over 30 years of gaming history into a short amount of time, so everything is magnified.

I also knew at some point in XIII-2 that they were going to force me to use the minigame area (name withheld for spoilers) to advance, which is what I had to do eventually. I did an entire inventory dump, which is something I never do, just to get enough gil to buy a Wild Artefact from that place so I could advance the main story. That's a playing style thing for me as I like to complete the main campaign with minimal to no guides, then go back to finish off side content. I did not want to grind throughout multiple timelines to get the Artefact I needed at that point in the story. The cool thing, though, is that once you get all the time gates unlocked, you can lock a timeline and play individual story sequences again without losing your inventory or game progression. And there are things that work with the time travel, such as the main villain and who he's trying to protect, and why.

I did buy the soundtracks for both XIII and XIII-2, so yes to those.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII: I'm okay with XIII-2, but I really didn't like what they did with the characters in Lightning Returns in the two hours I played. You have Lightning, an emotionless character in the first two games, stylistically flipping her sun glasses like it's a fashion show when it's supposed to be the end of days. Plus,

Spoiler
Lightning, a former elite soldier, was turned into an all-powerful protector of the goddess Etro, and the first thing the game has you doing is a fetch quest by talking to NPCs to conduct a murder investigation and report back to a no-name inquisitor like Lightning is some sort of rookie detective. There is even a ringing phone booth to top off the Sherlock Holmes/Doctor Who science fiction motif. Wut? It's like they kitchen-sinked it, didn't have time to add what they wanted gameplay-wise for the major storyline, saved the rest of the good gameplay content for XIV or XV (XV was supposed to be Final Fantasy Versus XIII), so they just made the side missions into the entirety of the plot and added the time countdown for no reason other than that they're really into time manipulation plot devices. Snow has turned heel and so has Lumina, a representation of Serah, and I just tapped out at that point because it's like they were throwing up whatever they wanted without any regard to the characters, and that I was just supposed to accept it. Feel free to tell me something different on that.
I don't go into a game expecting one thing or another. It usually takes me about seven hours to get situated to a game's battle mechanics and story, so I hate not finishing what I started after only two hours of gameplay, but Lightning Returns didn't feel like Final Fantasy to me. I fully admit it's not a full, fair take. I will let not finishing it eat away at me before I attempt playing it again, but I'm fine looking up how the story ends instead if I never get back to it.

I won't write more since you will have to play XIII to maybe see what your take is on that one and how it fits into the trilogy, but there was enough content in that game to work with that time travel wasn't needed for a sequel(s). XIII wrapped up nicely, although I don't mind having sequels to games.

Quote:
I bought the deluxe edition of Rebirth, and honestly, it is doing nothing at all for me
I was curious how you were going to like Rebirth. I think you had written that you liked Remake. I haven't ordered it yet, but will probably buy the Deluxe Edition hard copy.

Quote:
Take the XIII-2 platinum vs. the XVI platinum. You have to run back XVI on FF difficulty to get it. I think I finished the main XVI play through in 50-60 hours. It was 98h to the platinum by the time I did the "hard mode" play through. The normal difficulty is way too easy. FF mode gave me a lot more freedom in terms of load out. There was probably 30h on the hard mode, even skipping most cutscenes.
And on XVI, yeah, I won't typically do another replay just to get NG+ for trophies unless I really, really like a game. XVI has been okay so far, but it will be more how the story turns out than the battle system which is just ARPG style instead of "muh turn-based" .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 12:07 AM

38,465 posts, read 22,386,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Replaying Horizon Forbidden West, especially since they have a new game plus mode where you start a new game with all of your previous skill stats and weapons intacct.

One of my favorite games of all time, this is how open world games should be like.
I'm replaying it too, but I always start from scratch. It's a fun game, but Alloy is such a jerk. She's egotistical, always talking down to people in her sarcastic and condescending way. She's narcissistic, dismissive of anything anyone ever says. I really do not like having to play as her.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:07 PM

137 posts, read 52,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

I got Unicorn Overlord last night. Only about five hours in, but loving it so far.
I got Unicorn Overlord too, and started playing it a bit just to test it out, but then got so hooked that I had to remind myself that I still need to finish Persona 5 and 13 Sentinels... So I put it down (for now) in order to finish those two, which I am now rushing to finish so I can get back to Unicorn. Agreed, impressive game.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:39 PM

4,683 posts, read 3,890,597 times
Assassins Creed Odyssey

I take back everything negative I said about this game when it came out, lol. This game is a blast. Feels like an Assassins Creed game with a soul. The story is good, side quests have interesting stories. The world is fun & the geography varies in each island. I've been playing this for months & I'm only half way through.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:46 PM

35,198 posts, read 31,539,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbtoy7891 View Post
I got Unicorn Overlord too, and started playing it a bit just to test it out, but then got so hooked that I had to remind myself that I still need to finish Persona 5 and 13 Sentinels... So I put it down (for now) in order to finish those two, which I am now rushing to finish so I can get back to Unicorn. Agreed, impressive game.
I platinumed it last week. Took me like seven days

Mechanically, it's one of the more complicated tactics games I've played in a good while. The narrative is a little tropey, but if you like RTS, and especially Ogre Battle 64 from way back, it's really good.

Old 03-28-2024, 12:09 PM

67 posts, read 27,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oculus_Rift View Post
80+ hours into Starfield, I suddenly decided I wanted to play Skyrim - so I've been doing that for the past month.

Still need to get back to Starfield...

Right now though, I've been playing Fallout 4. I played it before, but never got close to completing it. Not a favorite for many people, but I really enjoy it - faults and all.

Also, just bought a few other RPGs that I liked the look of:

"ELEX"

"Tyranny"

Old 03-29-2024, 08:34 PM

8,381 posts, read 13,538,603 times
Anyone playing GTFO solo?

Old 03-30-2024, 10:37 PM

6,888 posts, read 4,341,790 times
Playing Dragon's Dogma 2 I gotta say that after playing BG3 it's difficult to fully enjoy playing other RPGs. For starters, everything just feels less fleshed out and kinda bare-bones in comparison. Also the combat feels borderline random to me, certainly not very strategic. It's just like a chaotic scene of people running around like mad men. I don't know why anyone would prefer this over turn-based.

Old 04-02-2024, 04:27 PM

2 posts, read 478 times
The last game I played and played for past several months is Middle Earth Shadow of War. I enjoyed so much that I purchased the first one.

Now very last game I've played is F1 2020. I wish I had space for a race rig but I settle for the controller. I never finished career mode and decided to get back into it after a talk with a co worker about F1.

Old 04-03-2024, 12:41 PM

4,588 posts, read 5,468,064 times
Im still playing the same ol same ol games that I posted about earlier in this thread - Call Of Duty Modern Warfare (the latest version), Genshin Impact and Elder Scrolls Online.

I'll probably be playing Elder Scrolls Online until my last day. Its by FAR the best MMORPG there is. Always new updates, chapter releases and expansions, its just non stop fun and always something new to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games