Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-03-2024, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
4,703 posts, read 3,913,614 times
Reputation: 4353

Advertisements

Put 100 hours into Assassins Creed Odyssey. I really enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2024, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Fiorina "Fury" 161
3,594 posts, read 3,779,452 times
Reputation: 6691
I finished Final Fantasy XVI. Loved it. Platinumed both the main game and the Echoes of the Fallen DLC.

One of the things I liked about the promos when this game was announced was that it was going to be a return to a high fantasy, medieval setting, and FFXVI is definitely that. Great cast of characters with good voice acting who mostly all get good development in the story. My biggest takeaway was that all of the twists and turns in the story + the trials and tribulations the characters go through to form bonds were, simply, earned. Full stop. Even in good stories you don't always get that. Third-string NPCs were no exception as they get arcs as well. I did all of the sidequests without skipping scenes, and while the back and forth for that can get middling, it helps to flesh out Valisthea to make it feel like it is a world in which the characters actually live.

Gameplay: the action combat system where you play as a single character is what it is: 20x the labor for half the fun of turn-based IMO. Even so, I can't do anything about the series turning away from turn-based, so not expecting a full RPG experience helped me appreciate FFXVI better for what it is. Have to adapt, but think the game's mature storyline would have been a great companion when matched with more standard RPG elements and a more in-depth, advanced skill tree like FFXII's, for example. But, for FFXVI's system, there are some cool combos and you can equip a few rings which get everything down to mashing a single button, or, you can choose to leave those off if more difficulty is desired. If FFXVI's gameplay was a bit more fun around the edges, it easily would have made it into my top five.

Overall FFXVI was a good experience for me. The Rising Tide DLC will be released on April 18, so I will definitely check that one out for extra content.

My current FF rankings:

Spoiler
I have only played IV, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XII*, XIII, XIII-2, LR: FFXIII*, and XVI at the time of this writing.

* I played the Zodiac Age edition of FFXII for the PS4.
* I only played two hours of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

TOTAL RANKINGS

1) VI
2) VII
3) VIII
4) XII
5) X-2
6) X
7) XVI
8) XIII
9) XIII-2
10) IV
11) IX
12) LR: FFXIII

PATH TO PLATINUM COMPLETION

Final Fantasy I - 0%
Final Fantasy II - 0%
Final Fantasy III - 0%
Final Fantasy IV- 0%
Final Fantasy V - 0%
Final Fantasy VI - 0%
Final Fantasy VII - N/A. The original FFVII downloads do not have trophy achievements.
Final Fantasy VIII - Platinum achieved
Final Fantasy IX - 42%
Final Fantasy X - 95%
Final Fantasy X-2 - 19%
Final Fantasy XII - Platinum achieved
Final Fantasy XIII - Platinum achieved
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Platinum achieved
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - 0%
Final Fantasy XV - 0%
Final Fantasy XVI - Platinum achieved

Last edited by Free-R; 04-04-2024 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2024, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Fiorina "Fury" 161
3,594 posts, read 3,779,452 times
Reputation: 6691
I finished Stray.

Short game with the main campaign taking 14 hours (when exploring everything) and I clocked in at an hour and forty minutes for the speedrun to get the platinum. Stray's story is surface-level, but for a game of this length, it's fine, plus there is enough potential for DLC or sequel content to clear up some of the ambiguity.

I'm new to PS5 pricing and I paid $40 for the digital download, which is too steep for the game's length, but you get to play as a cat, so there's that. Hard copies are going for around $23. I bought a PS5 hard disc edition just in case for unknown, optional situations like this. It seems like hard copies are cheaper than digital downloads in some cases, which is something I will keep in mind when comparing pricing in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2024, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Flawduh
17,691 posts, read 15,863,360 times
Reputation: 24325
Currently about 1/3 through 13 Sentinel: Aegis Rim.
I must say, I didn't think I'd enjoy it too much after watching a few videos and reading about it, but I gave it a shot, and boy am I glad I did. It's turning out to be quite the ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2024, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
38,760 posts, read 22,576,587 times
Reputation: 14216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
After putting it off for so long, finally started playing Divinity 2 even though I always swear up and down that I do NOT like turn based combat systems. Game is certainly hard for me and often times I have to switch difficulty to the easiest story mode just to pass some enemies. Overall fun.

Can't wait, in a few weeks Dragon's Dogma 2!!! Really enjoyed the first one and the combat looks epic.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRqrilkfycM
I'm playing Dragon's dogma 2 right now. It's a great game. It does not hold your hand, so you need to explore more. It does give a map circle for the general area of quest locations, but leaves it up to you how or when you get there. Even when you think you've beat the game, maybe you didn't. If you chose two of the three different endings, you may have missed out on the true ending content. But even that is cool, because you can restart the game with new game plus, and choose a different ending.

The hiring of pawns in this game is really cool. Each player creates their own customized permanent companion. You can retrain them in all of the basic professions, and really make a powerful ally. You can also hire two other pawns, which are the customized main pawns from the other players.

The entire pawn system is unique from any other game I have ever played, and adds a lot to the feel of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-24-2024, 10:14 PM
 
Location: TN/NC
35,313 posts, read 31,715,968 times
Reputation: 47959
I completed the FFXVI Rising Tide DLC Monday. Great experience, and a nice wrap-up of a few threads from the main game, but there isn't anything there that would make someone new to FFXVI want to pick it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2024, 12:54 AM
 
29,577 posts, read 22,969,055 times
Reputation: 48337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I'm playing Dragon's dogma 2 right now. It's a great game. It does not hold your hand, so you need to explore more. It does give a map circle for the general area of quest locations, but leaves it up to you how or when you get there. Even when you think you've beat the game, maybe you didn't. If you chose two of the three different endings, you may have missed out on the true ending content. But even that is cool, because you can restart the game with new game plus, and choose a different ending.

The hiring of pawns in this game is really cool. Each player creates their own customized permanent companion. You can retrain them in all of the basic professions, and really make a powerful ally. You can also hire two other pawns, which are the customized main pawns from the other players.

The entire pawn system is unique from any other game I have ever played, and adds a lot to the feel of the game.
I like the game and it does many things well but the lack of a fast travel system like Skyrim and traditional save system has kind of worn me down. There are ways to fast travel but it is tedious and also you need certain items. There is a mod that allows you to fast travel to multiple areas around the map but not as smooth. I think I'll take a break for a while and get back to it.

I am now starting Fallout 3 and then will play Fallout 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2024, 11:37 AM
 
29,577 posts, read 22,969,055 times
Reputation: 48337
About 3 hours into Fallout 3 and loving it. This is my fourth time playing it, and the last time I played it was back in 2021. I spent hours finding out how to optimize the visuals since it's an old game, before realizing that the GeForce app optimizes the game for you of you so choose. The visuals are now gorgeous and it runs around 100 frames per second and it feels like everything speeded up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2024, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
14,808 posts, read 14,799,247 times
Reputation: 15585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I finished Stray.

Short game with the main campaign taking 14 hours (when exploring everything) and I clocked in at an hour and forty minutes for the speedrun to get the platinum. Stray's story is surface-level, but for a game of this length, it's fine, plus there is enough potential for DLC or sequel content to clear up some of the ambiguity.

I'm new to PS5 pricing and I paid $40 for the digital download, which is too steep for the game's length, but you get to play as a cat, so there's that. Hard copies are going for around $23. I bought a PS5 hard disc edition just in case for unknown, optional situations like this. It seems like hard copies are cheaper than digital downloads in some cases, which is something I will keep in mind when comparing pricing in the future.
I thought it was a pretty fun game. Not very lengthy and not much replayability, but an original concept that worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2024, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Fiorina "Fury" 161
3,594 posts, read 3,779,452 times
Reputation: 6691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I thought it was a pretty fun game. Not very lengthy and not much replayability, but an original concept that worked.
Agreed. I have been playing a lot of high stakes, lengthy RPGs, so a quick, lowkey little game like Stray was refreshing. I'd be up for more cat content (*meow* ) if they continue with the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top