Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2024, 06:55 AM

14,833 posts, read 14,869,156 times

Advertisements

I’ve been playing the Mass Effect legendary edition since it was free on PS+ a few months ago. Never played these games before but I really like the decision-making aspect and all the side quests that can me done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2024, 06:24 PM

29,598 posts, read 23,109,341 times
Finished Fallout 3 (but not all the DLC's).

Started Fallout 4 and playing it again (this is my fourth time). The previous three times were on the PS4. Now I am playing it on PC and wow the visual upgrade is unreal, like jaw droppingly gorgeous. Almost like playing a brand new game. These NVIDIA graphics cards are incredible.

Old 05-26-2024, 07:45 AM

3,592 posts, read 3,794,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Almost to platinum on FFXV. Waiting on the "survival" skill to complete, which is basically steps counted. I used a cable tie to make the character run in circles. This will take hours.

Good game overall - no really strong feelings either way, but still a solid B effort, though it has a lot of flaws, and a reasonably easy platinum.
I have been busy lately and haven't played that much of FFXV, just enough to get a feel for the battle mechanics and the GTAV/Americana-esque vibe the opening is apparently going for. I think I'm looking at a mid- to late-June finish at this point, or thereabouts, depending on how the trophies go.

I know you're working on the platinum for FFXIII, so I assume you have also beaten the game. Curious how you think it stacks up against FFXIII-2?

Old 05-26-2024, 07:55 AM

13,052 posts, read 6,866,119 times
Russian roulette.

JOKING.

Old 05-28-2024, 06:41 AM

35,404 posts, read 31,903,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I have been busy lately and haven't played that much of FFXV, just enough to get a feel for the battle mechanics and the GTAV/Americana-esque vibe the opening is apparently going for. I think I'm looking at a mid- to late-June finish at this point, or thereabouts, depending on how the trophies go.

I know you're working on the platinum for FFXIII, so I assume you have also beaten the game. Curious how you think it stacks up against FFXIII-2?
The big problem with XV is that the dynamic and pacing of the game completely changes about two-thirds of the way through the game. The very end is somewhat better, but that back third or so of the game is probably the most tedious I've played in any FF. It's just really bad.

Also, as far as I could tell, the side quest and hunt progress doesn't carry over to postgame. You have to complete 80 side quests for the achievement for the platinum. Hunts generally aren't required. There are more than 80 side quests, and while it's probably possible to hit 80 before completing the main game, there are even more quests in post-game.

I ended up clearing about 50 side quests that I had to repeat. I think the total time played for the platinum was about 71H. 14 of those were with the joysticks zip-tied together overnight for the running trophy. I'd say at least 7-10 more were repeating side quests.

If you do only what is required for the platinum - nearly no hunts, do the side quests post-game - etc., it's probably a 40-45 hour platinum over manned play. The main campaign can probably be beaten much faster than that.

It's not a bad game and I did like it enough to platinum it, but I would say it's probably the worst out of the "modern FFs" - XII on.

XIII is nowhere nearly as good as XIII-2. I like the game, but XIII-2 is probably my top 2/3 FFs. The post-game is really the meat of the platinum, but has no real bearing on the main story. Basically everything on Gran Pulse was underutilized in the main campaign.

I'm about 65h in on XIII now. I'm nowhere near close to the platinum. I still have to do the vast majority of the item collection/gil grinding. I think all characters are maxed on 4/6 crystarium roles. I'm going to try to tackle the last bit of Titan's trials between meetings today.

My guess is this, minimum, a hundred hour platinum.

Old 05-28-2024, 10:00 AM

3,592 posts, read 3,794,756 times
Quote:
The big problem with XV is that the dynamic and pacing of the game completely changes about two-thirds of the way through the game. The very end is somewhat better, but that back third or so of the game is probably the most tedious I've played in any FF. It's just really bad.
I have read that there was a change in directors during production. Sounds like it's noticeable.

Quote:
Also, as far as I could tell, the side quest and hunt progress doesn't carry over to postgame. You have to complete 80 side quests for the achievement for the platinum. Hunts generally aren't required. There are more than 80 side quests, and while it's probably possible to hit 80 before completing the main game, there are even more quests in post-game.

I ended up clearing about 50 side quests that I had to repeat. I think the total time played for the platinum was about 71H. 14 of those were with the joysticks zip-tied together overnight for the running trophy. I'd say at least 7-10 more were repeating side quests.

If you do only what is required for the platinum - nearly no hunts, do the side quests post-game - etc., it's probably a 40-45 hour platinum over manned play. The main campaign can probably be beaten much faster than that.

It's not a bad game and I did like it enough to platinum it, but I would say it's probably the worst out of the "modern FFs" - XII on.
I was hoping there wasn't going to be new game+ for trophies. Oh well. Only have to platinum it once.

Quote:
XIII is nowhere nearly as good as XIII-2. I like the game, but XIII-2 is probably my top 2/3 FFs. The post-game is really the meat of the platinum, but has no real bearing on the main story. Basically everything on Gran Pulse was underutilized in the main campaign.

I'm about 65h in on XIII now. I'm nowhere near close to the platinum. I still have to do the vast majority of the item collection/gil grinding. I think all characters are maxed on 4/6 crystarium roles. I'm going to try to tackle the last bit of Titan's trials between meetings today.

My guess is this, minimum, a hundred hour platinum.
For sure Gran Pulse is underutilized, and it wasn't expanded on much in FFXIII-2, either. XIII had some good ideas, but weak writing and some cheap gotcha moments. Most of the budget went into the graphics/cinematics. But, even as unfairly maligned as XIII and the XIII series can be in general in the fanbase, I liked the concepts of the Cie'th/Cie'th stones, Cocoon, Gran Pulse, the art direction, and I especially thought the ending was up there with the best in the series. You have entities that are given the power to run entire ecosystem(s), forever, but to them serving humanity is a burden, for which they seek release. For the things that didn't work, I was able to fill in the gaps with my imagination.

All-in I finished the platinum at 246 hours. I'd say 40h to 60h was me doing unnecessary extra stuff like re-acquiring all of the tier 1 and tier 2 weapons that you lose when upgrading to tier 3, plus making making sure each ultimate weapon was level-maxed to 99, not just acquired. Since I limit my use of guides, a lot of extra time was making sure I got all of the treasures I could find and roaming around doing various things. A more efficient playthrough may still be 100+ hours for the platinum, but likely less than 180 or so.

Old 05-28-2024, 09:40 PM

35,404 posts, read 31,903,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I have read that there was a change in directors during production. Sounds like it's noticeable.

I was hoping there wasn't going to be new game+ for trophies. Oh well. Only have to platinum it once.

For sure Gran Pulse is underutilized, and it wasn't expanded on much in FFXIII-2, either. XIII had some good ideas, but weak writing and some cheap gotcha moments. Most of the budget went into the graphics/cinematics. But, even as unfairly maligned as XIII and the XIII series can be in general in the fanbase, I liked the concepts of the Cie'th/Cie'th stones, Cocoon, Gran Pulse, the art direction, and I especially thought the ending was up there with the best in the series. You have entities that are given the power to run entire ecosystem(s), forever, but to them serving humanity is a burden, for which they seek release. For the things that didn't work, I was able to fill in the gaps with my imagination.

All-in I finished the platinum at 246 hours. I'd say 40h to 60h was me doing unnecessary extra stuff like re-acquiring all of the tier 1 and tier 2 weapons that you lose when upgrading to tier 3, plus making making sure each ultimate weapon was level-maxed to 99, not just acquired. Since I limit my use of guides, a lot of extra time was making sure I got all of the treasures I could find and roaming around doing various things. A more efficient playthrough may still be 100+ hours for the platinum, but likely less than 180 or so.
XV isn't really NG+. You start in the next numbered chapter after the story ends. Supposedly, it looked like it would carry over side quest progress, but it didn't.

It's a good game with tons of development flaws. The four main guys are great. The battle system is too easy and clunky as hell. I liked the magic fusion system. The plot is just kind of there while you ride around.

I got all the Titan's trials and a few more trophies today. I'm down to two hunts left, Master's Seal, L'Cie Paragon, Treasure Hunter and Orphan Trophy.

I like XIII's postgame but I'll chunk it out over a good while.

Old 06-04-2024, 12:14 PM

69 posts, read 29,026 times
Farming Simulator 2022. Not really the type of game I usually play, but it was free - so I gave it a shot. Who would have thought a game about Farming could be so much fun.

Old 06-16-2024, 07:28 PM

29,598 posts, read 23,109,341 times
Have over 100 hours on Fallout 4 and barely started the main quest.

Ended up starting Fallout New Vegas.

The funny thing about the Fallout games to me, is that every time I play one, I think it's the best in the series at the time.

Old 06-19-2024, 10:06 PM

16,119 posts, read 6,824,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Have over 100 hours on Fallout 4 and barely started the main quest.

Ended up starting Fallout New Vegas.

The funny thing about the Fallout games to me, is that every time I play one, I think it's the best in the series at the time.
If I go back and play Fallout 4 again, I'm going to add one of those mods that automate the community builds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games