Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 01:28 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times

Advertisements

I finally got the game, and really impressed so far. I am just now exploring the Hinterlands though, so early in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 01:15 PM

430 posts, read 481,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
What about battles? Is it like in DAI or in DAII?
Yes it feels very much like the original. The biggest difference is that there are no more maintained abilities.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:07 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,078 times
Anyone else feel like the story is a let down and the side quests are mostly boring? I enjoyed the game overall(played it twice) but I'm not sure how much I like the story or if I just like the world and characters. Some flaws I noticed:

-the villain is practically impotent, never feeling like much of a threat since the Inquisitor thwarts him at every turn. One of the main villain's minions is much more powerful but we don't even get to actually fight that one. Even what should have been a strike at the heart of the Inquisition and a win for the villain ends up being a win for the Inquisitor.
-side missions are almost all fetch quests. Each party member and adviser has 1-2 personal missions that have more substance, but most of them are still less than 20 minutes long.
-there is a quality gap with the romances. Some of them were clearly added last minute and feel less in-depth and satisfying than others.
-the end is anti-climatic and the post-credits scene with a certain elf and a certain deranged witch is maddeningly vague. You only know what happens if you dig into the game's files where that part is explained.

It's worth playing if you like the series, but it would be less enjoyable if you're new to the series.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:49 PM

21,829 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Yes and no.

I thought the story was good. I felt it wasn't very dynamic. Nothing you did really mattered. At one point (Iscmael), I we getting my ass kicked so I went off and leveled up a few times and came back. You just kind of hopped around here and there doing this and that. The this and that individually was pretty fun, but disconnected. It had zero impact on the game, just pointless unrelated content. And it wasn't even that they were side stories. They were major plot elements. It's just plot element A, B, and C had no connection. I didn't think it was particularly outstanding in any respects however. A well-done action RPG with overall good voice acting and production value. It did what it did really well. It didn't have the mood or ambiance or tactics of the first by any account. That's the problem with a lot of games that go mass-market/console crowd. They get dumbed down.

I actually feel the opposite. For people who didn't play the original and just go through the game bashing stuff are probably the ones who will enjoy it the most. That's what it does best. The story is flat. It's there. It's well done even. It just doesn't have an implication in the way the game plays.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-08-2015 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 12:20 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
I finished it and it was .. well, broken.
The story is good (I was blown away when after finishing it I checked youtube and found there were numerous characters I haven't even met because of the decisions I made), characters are memorable ( I still find myself singing the song of Sera you can hear in your tavern), the game is beautiful and .. the combat is broken. First, because micromanaging your allies is very uncomfortable, the camera doesn't zoom out enough and most of the game I just let AI control them - which usually was up to the task, but not always.
The 2nd and my biggest problem with it was balance. At some point, lvl 18 I think (and I finished the game around 22) my warrior became unstoppable. Seriously unstoppable, unbalanced and not that much fun to play anymore. How ? Well, dragon fights - dragons are tough. They can almost kill your entire team with one attack, spell... and they do. They kill your team - they don't kill you. Being lvl 18 I found out dragons can't even deal me enough damage to get my guard down, let alone do some actual damage. And with my hero doing 100-200 dmg per hit and the dragon having something like 264,000 hp, constantly jumping around and flying .. dragon slaying could took up to 30 minutes....
And the final boss was exactly the same - not strong enough to get through my defenses...
Now I know I played on normal, but I assumed it would be more challenging, especially since early on the game could be quite unforgiving at times.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Anyone else feel like the story is a let down and the side quests are mostly boring? I enjoyed the game overall(played it twice) but I'm not sure how much I like the story or if I just like the world and characters. Some flaws I noticed:

-the villain is practically impotent, never feeling like much of a threat since the Inquisitor thwarts him at every turn. One of the main villain's minions is much more powerful but we don't even get to actually fight that one. Even what should have been a strike at the heart of the Inquisition and a win for the villain ends up being a win for the Inquisitor.
-side missions are almost all fetch quests. Each party member and adviser has 1-2 personal missions that have more substance, but most of them are still less than 20 minutes long.
-there is a quality gap with the romances. Some of them were clearly added last minute and feel less in-depth and satisfying than others.
-the end is anti-climatic and the post-credits scene with a certain elf and a certain deranged witch is maddeningly vague. You only know what happens if you dig into the game's files where that part is explained.

It's worth playing if you like the series, but it would be less enjoyable if you're new to the series.
I just can't bring myself to finish this game. It's a good looking game, and it is huge in terms of size and number of zones, but I find myself just straight up bored while playing it. I can't bring myself to be engaged in the story at all. The combat feels like a complete let down after Origins (a game I adored). The quests all feel like mindless filler. Bleh, I've dumped in 50 hours and I think I'm going to cut my losses and just sell the game.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:38 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I never made it out of the Hinterlands. Was looking for a DAO experience and realized I was chasing a ghost. I am kind of burnt on gaming and went back to playing guitar with all of those hours. It is a beautiful game and sure I will go back to it one day, just not now.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:51 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
I never made it out of the Hinterlands. Was looking for a DAO experience and realized I was chasing a ghost. I am kind of burnt on gaming and went back to playing guitar with all of those hours. It is a beautiful game and sure I will go back to it one day, just not now.
One of the biggest flaws of the game is not telling you to get out of the Hinterlands early on. The game plants you there and throws about 500 sidequests at you so it feels like you're stuck there. BioWare clearly didn't know how to implement their huge environments properly. They saw the success of Skyrim and said "well let's do that!" without ever realizing what made Skyrim's huge world work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games