U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:02 PM

3,190 posts, read 2,729,491 times

Advertisements

Any BioWare fans here remember the leaked survey a few years ago that spilled the beans on Dragon Age: Inquisition? Well, it appears the same thing has happened with the next Mass Effect title. Some industry insiders and members of the gaming media/press have already come out and said the survey/leak is legit so I figure that's good enough to start a thread about it. And in case you can't tell from my user name, I really like Mass Effect.
The details are as follows:

NARRATIVE:
Premise: Set in the Helius Cluster of the Andromeda Galaxy, removed by time and space from the Mass Effect "Commander Shepard" trilogy and its ending. Play as a "Pathfinder" explorer leading expedition with the aim of establishing new home for humanity. Encounter "savage untamed lands", "cut-throat outlaws", and "warring alien races" in an effort to survive and colonies. Andromeda is home to a mysterious alien race, the Remnants, who've left their vaults and ancient technology throughout.
Game Objective: Explore 100s of solar systems (over 4x size of Mass Effect 3) collecting resources, developing your ship, crew, and arsenal, while engaging in diplomacy in order to set up colonies, while discovering the mystery behind the Remnants and racing to secure their technology.
New Species: Remnants, an ancient race who've left ruins and technology throughout the galaxy. And Khet, seemingly antagonistic.
Squadmates: Same as previous games: make friends, take two with you on missions. Cora is able to generate biotic shields you can fire out of. Drack is a Krogan.
Loyalty Missions: Same as previous games: complete to unlock increased loyalty and new skill tree for that character. Example: Krogan colony ship has been stolen by outlaws. Track down the ship and return it to increase loyalty with Drack. Dialogue trees and end game impacted by loyalty status.
Dialogue: "Meaningful choices". Deeper control over responses, such as interrupting conversation. Action based choices are physical choices to shape the course of conversation, such as pulling out a weapon and forcing them to open a door instead of attempting to do so purely via conversation.

EXPLORATION/CUSTOMIZATION:
Tempest Starship: Pilotable ship to discover 100s of solar systems. Customisable with trophies/loot/photos taken through the galaxy. Transition between flying ship, to landing on planet, to driving Mako, to getting out on foot, all seamless with no loading screens.
Mako Vehicle: Upgradeable with turbo boost, shield generator, hostile detector, etc. Customisable paint job.
Planets: 100s of surfaces to explore, for discovering places to colonise, and alien vaults/outputs to conquer.
Colonies: Build settlements on habitable planets. Able to decide what type of settlement for bonuses. EG: Recon Settlements will clear fog of war on space map and offer more strike team missions, meanwhile Mining Settlements will periodically supply crafting materials.
Blueprints: Allow you to craft alien technology using materials for better equipment and weapons, such as a jetpack for jumping, cryo-beam to target enemies, etc.
Crew: Customisable skill trees, gear, weapons, etc.

MISSIONS TYPES AND MULTIPLAYER:
Remnant Vault Raids: Ancient ruins in two variants. Standard: Accessed by finding and activating Remnant Monoliths, explored to find a "powerful artefact". Acquiring artefact triggers defence systems: robots, traps, and restructured layout. Rewards with valuable loot, crafting resources, and Star Keys.
Orbital Facilities: Unlocked with Star Keys, provide permanent stat bonuses, and optional higher difficulty vault raids that add Khet patrols and outlaws. Rewards with rare loot and narrative acclaim.
Khet Outposts: Optional wave-based combat challenges that reward with XP, reduced Khet power and additional narrative options in the region if destroyed.
Strike Team: Spend resources to recruit mercenaries and develop AI controlled strike teams to be deployed on randomly generated, time sensitive missions. Include settlement defence and remnant artefact recovery. Strike Teams return 20 - 30 minutes later with XP, currency, and equipment depending on mission outcome. Spend money/resources to train Strike Team, and buy better equipment, to increase success rate and send on dangerous missions.
Active Strike Team: See above, however you can choose to complete the Strike Team mission manually via play using your multiplayer roster of characters. Able to play co-op with friends, more friends increasing difficulty and rewards. Bonus rewards for joining another players strike team mission. XP, loot, and customisation rewards for Strike Team played characters are cohesive with multiplayer specific horde mode.
Horde Mode: Similar to Mass Effect 3: four players against waves of enemies with additional objectives such as disabling a bomb or assassinating a target. Similar XP/loot rewards to Mass Effect 3. APEX funds earned to be used in single player.

Some of the pushback against this leak's legitimacy has been that it's aping Inquisition and Destiny too hard and that going to the Andromeda galaxy is technologically impossible in the Mass Effect setting. Logically the first point doesn't really hold water since aping other games, even their own games, is what BioWare has been doing for a decade, if not longer. The second point has been countered by a Mass Effect developer who just tweeted an image of a wormhole in space along with the message "What lies ahead? Adventures? Dangerous foes?"
Some of the obvious benefits of setting the future titles in another galaxy are obviously side-stepping the convoluted and zany endings of ME3 and the decisions that relate to the fates of various alien races like the Krogan, Quarians, Geth and Rachni. This would also be a return to form for the series since Mass Effect 1 tried to put an emphasis on exploration before they decided to take the series in different, more action oriented direction with the sequels.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 03:29 PM

7,972 posts, read 5,048,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Some of the pushback against this leak's legitimacy has been that it's aping Inquisition and Destiny too hard and that going to the Andromeda galaxy is technologically impossible in the Mass Effect setting.
Logically the first point doesn't really hold water since aping other games, even their own games, is what BioWare has been doing for a decade, if not longer. The second point has been countered by a Mass Effect developer who just tweeted an image of a wormhole in space along with the message "What lies ahead? Adventures? Dangerous foes?"
Some of the obvious benefits of setting the future titles in another galaxy are obviously side-stepping the convoluted and zany endings of ME3 and the decisions that relate to the fates of various alien races like the Krogan, Quarians, Geth and Rachni. This would also be a return to form for the series since Mass Effect 1 tried to put an emphasis on exploration before they decided to take the series in different, more action oriented direction with the sequels.

Thoughts?
Couple of points on your summary.

Plot device can get them into Andromeda, and it provides motivation for what you're doing there.

Mako? If this is after ME3, then the Mako is obsolete, Hammerhead replaced it and the discussion about Mako's, Grizzlies, and Hammerheads in the ME3 cargo bay between Cortez and Vega put that one to bed, especially if this is later in the timeline solving the shield generator issues with the Hammerhead (they were fixed in ME3).

Decisions if it's post ME3 will need to be included, if you have a Krogan, then you'll need some kind of explanation from the get go (genophage cured, or not). Or some canon ending from ME3, remember you could die in the ME2 suicide mission, which would have made ME3 kind of a non-event for Shepard. Regardless the synthesis ending of ME3 affected all lifeforms in the Milky Way, that's going to be interesting on how they handle it (and IMO I don't think they were particularly "zany").

Personally I'd be wary of any early release info.

Anyway what do you care, you are the very model of the scientist salarian, and you died regardless of Shepards choices.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Regardless the synthesis ending of ME3 affected all lifeforms in the Milky Way, that's going to be interesting on how they handle it (and IMO I don't think they were particularly "zany").
You don't think magic green light turning all life in the galaxy into weird technorganic hybrids is zany? Your zany meter is off. You should get it checked.

Quote:
Personally I'd be wary of any early release info.
BioWare leaks like a sieve.

Quote:
Anyway what do you care, you are the very model of the scientist salarian, and you died regardless of Shepards choices.
Mordin can survive and screw over the Krogans one last time in the process if Wrex is dead and Maelon's data was destroyed.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:20 AM

7,972 posts, read 5,048,882 times
Quote:
You don't think magic green light turning all life in the galaxy into weird technorganic hybrids is zany? Your zany meter is off. You should get it checked.
Oh, so exotic material that reduces or increases mass according to electrical polarity and potential is not as zany as technorganic hybrids...?

That can bond to neurons so that people can generate fields at will, and that's not as zany as technorganic hybrids.

Whereas self replicating nanites that implant either synthetic into organic, or organic into synthetic is completely zany.

Oooookkkkaaaaaayyyyyy.

Quote:
BioWare leaks like a sieve.
Perhaps, but I'm not buying a Mako in ME4.

Quote:
Mordin can survive and screw over the Krogans one last time in the process if Wrex is dead and Maelon's data was destroyed.
Ah, that's it, never killed Wrex, just couldn't bring myself to do it, character was too good to lose.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Oh, so exotic material that reduces or increases mass according to electrical polarity and potential is not as zany as technorganic hybrids...?
That can bond to neurons so that people can generate fields at will, and that's not as zany as technorganic hybrids.
Whereas self replicating nanites that implant either synthetic into organic, or organic into synthetic is completely zany.
Oooookkkkaaaaaayyyyyy.
Magic green light turning all living things into technorganic hybrids at the speed of light is zany as all get out.

Quote:
Perhaps, but I'm not buying a Mako in ME4.
That's actually been a confirmed fact like last Summer. They showed off a few things at E3 last year and a new Mako was one of them. They even had video of it cruising around a few alien worlds to boot.

Last edited by MordinSolus; 04-24-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 12:51 PM

102 posts, read 109,633 times
I've played all 3 Mass Effect games and I'm defintely looking forward to the next one even though it's going to be takng place with a different character at a completely different time. The game itself was very interesting, the story was great, the gameplay was good. My favorite was the 2nd one, I felt that the 3rd one had multiplayer that wasn't really too great and the game itself felt a bit shorter and didn't have a great ending or explain things as good as the others.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 AM

6,933 posts, read 3,893,331 times
Thinking of getting the first mass effect game after I finish exams. I know I'm very late but how good is it? From what I've seen it looks like a shooter with RPG elements which is very attractive to me.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:23 AM
Yac

6,023 posts, read 6,947,715 times
It has more classic rpg elements than the latter games, with inventory management etc. It is a great game though, an entry into one of the best sagas in the history of games (that's a strong opinion, but many share it with me). Just realize that once you start, you'll have to finish all 3 It won't let you go until you do.
Yac.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:30 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,906,332 times
^Agreed. I replayed the trilogy about a year or so ago.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:08 AM

6,933 posts, read 3,893,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
It has more classic rpg elements than the latter games, with inventory management etc. It is a great game though, an entry into one of the best sagas in the history of games (that's a strong opinion, but many share it with me). Just realize that once you start, you'll have to finish all 3 It won't let you go until you do.
Yac.
I don't mind finishing all three, I'll have a month of nothing to do

I've seen a bit of gameplay and it looks really good, 1 minute of it was enough to convince me to get it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games