Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 03:02 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,638,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
My hope is that what Reggie stated was just keeping things in perspective on the overall philosophy of gaming, and not necessarily on what Nintendo is going to do with the NX.

If Nintendo underpowers the NX, they're repeating the same mistake as with the Wii U.

From a public perspective, who wants to invest in a system that, when introduced, may only be as powerful as the PS4/Xbox 1. Considering that the next generation iterations of those systems are also coming out.

And as you mention about third party developers, being underpowered also means they won't want to develop for the NX.

Now, Nintendo has shown that they are willing to adapt to the times. They previously refused to enter the mobile market, but now are doing that. The new Zelda game is another example. They saw what was popular these days in gaming, so they went back and added new elements to the game including more open world, crafting, etc.
Here's my problem with third party developers. You don't need all that power to make a game. Everyone brags about all this technology but then they make such poor use of it. Developers need all that power to compensate poor game design.

All third party developers need to do is acknowledge the hardware they are working on and create the software with the hardware in mind. They take shortcuts and try to force their engine on a hardware that can't handle it.

Keep in mind, these same third party developers struggle on the Xbox One and Playstation 4 as well. However, that is where the install base is at. That's the incentive to develop on the Xbox One and Playstation 4. Sony and Microsoft realized their consoles aren't good enough so they took after Nintendo and decide to upgrade their console.

To an extent, I agree that Nintendo maybe making the same mistake if underpowered but they were designing the NX before the announcement of Neo and Scorpio. Nintendo didn't have a chance.

What hurt the Wii U was the game pad, poor marketing and Nintendo's game drought they seem to have every generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:58 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,520,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Here's my problem with third party developers. You don't need all that power to make a game. Everyone brags about all this technology but then they make such poor use of it. Developers need all that power to compensate poor game design.

All third party developers need to do is acknowledge the hardware they are working on and create the software with the hardware in mind. They take shortcuts and try to force their engine on a hardware that can't handle it.

Keep in mind, these same third party developers struggle on the Xbox One and Playstation 4 as well. However, that is where the install base is at. That's the incentive to develop on the Xbox One and Playstation 4. Sony and Microsoft realized their consoles aren't good enough so they took after Nintendo and decide to upgrade their console.

To an extent, I agree that Nintendo maybe making the same mistake if underpowered but they were designing the NX before the announcement of Neo and Scorpio. Nintendo didn't have a chance.

What hurt the Wii U was the game pad, poor marketing and Nintendo's game drought they seem to have every generation.
And this post is why I dont like Xbox. Xbox to me has always been the copycat of PlayStation. Xbox created a lane for developers to be lazy. Yea PlayStation plays a roll in that too, but many of the developers lack that magic and imagination of the 1st party developers. There was once a time when a developer made good versions of the same game. You saw this alot in Generation 4 and a little bit in Generation 5. When a game came out there was the Super NES version and Sega Genesis version. You had the Nintendo 64 version and the PlayStation 1 version of the same game. Now they just make the exact same game for Xbox and PlayStation and leave Nintendo out and use the "no power cop out" I also think the Japanese developers are being lazy too to some degree. Nintendo is in their back yard. They dont really make many titles for Xbox. Take for example Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty. Ubisoft and Activision could easily take the time to make a Nintendo version of their games. Hell it doesnt even have to be the same game play. They could make the open world 3rd person version for PlayStation & Xbox and an RPG platforming version for Nintendo systems. Some genres are more popular on Nintendo then they are on PlayStation, but they just avoid them altogether with the "no power" excuse. Its just laziness. I have not purchased many EA and Activision games because of it. Ubisoft may soon be on that list if they keep at it. The Quantity model is getting tired.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:06 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The Wii U has been a disaster for Nintendo which is probably why the company was forced to announce the NX so soon. It seems that the company is going to attempt to leverage some of their hand-held success for their next console. I'm not sure how well that's going to work out but it's clear that Nintendo is holding back software originally intended for the Wii U to help boost the NX.

If the NX is to succeed it will need:

1) A unified on-line network like Sony and Microsoft offer.

2) Strong third-party support.

3) Consistent release schedules for Nintendo's own first-party offerings like the popular Zelda and Pokemon franchises. Right now Nintendo is relying too heavily on Mario and his Mushroom Kingdom posse to move consoles and it's not working.
The Third Party support will be especially important. If we know anything about Nintendo though, this just won't happen.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:54 AM

Has anyone seen this yet??!!

Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers • Eurogamer.net

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nin.../1100-6442163/

Report: Nintendo NX will be portable, cartridge-based console | Polygon

This has to be one of the most bizarre moves I have seen in a long time from Nintendo. Seems they are somewhat leaving the home console market for PlayStation to dominate.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:10 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,616,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Has anyone seen this yet??!!

Nintendo NX is a portable console with detachable controllers • Eurogamer.net

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nin.../1100-6442163/

Report: Nintendo NX will be portable, cartridge-based console | Polygon

This has to be one of the most bizarre moves I have seen in a long time from Nintendo. Seems they are somewhat leaving the home console market for PlayStation to dominate.

From one of the links above:

Quote:
Inside the NX, as stated above, the system will harness Nvidia's powerful mobile processor Tegra. Graphical comparisons with current consoles are difficult due to the vastly different nature of the device - but once again we've heard Nintendo is not chasing graphical parity. Quite the opposite, it is sacrificing power to ensure it can squeeze all of this technology into a handheld, something which also tallies with earlier reports.
Groan, looks like another rumor is true besides the cartridge/portable thing, that the NX is underpowered.

I don't know much about these sort of things but being cartridge based I'm not sure what their strategy is.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
From one of the links above:

Groan, looks like another rumor is true besides the cartridge/portable thing, that the NX is underpowered.

I don't know much about these sort of things but being cartridge based I'm not sure what their strategy is.
As a PSP owner Disc drives on portable systems take up a lot of juice. Im no Teraflop snob or power junkie. I dont understand the Power **** measuring contest going on with X-Box and PlayStation and its a big turn off to me and gaming discussions. Im no Nintendo boaster im just curious about what they bring to the table. I would think their main goal would be to produce better visuals than the Wii U and 3DS. I think when it comes to competition the Wii and Wii U were a generation behind. Its like now Nintendo will have all mobile handheld developers to themselves. Price of the device will determine its success in my opinion.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 AM

356 posts, read 302,241 times
I bought a Wii U, and, wish I hadn't. With all due respect, I think Nintendo needs a major boost in creativity. I had so much fun with the NES and Super NES. The "fun" factor, for me, has been gone for quite a while. They need to put out a console that BEATS the competition, specs wise. Then, produce a ton of good CREATIVE games. The creativity in video games, in general, is a complete joke. So many games are just shooting/destroy/fighting games. While the graphics may be nice, the basic premise of each game is the same, fight, shoot, destroy. How pathetic! What a lack of creativity! How about some other elements, like, mystery, or using your brain to figure things out instead of just how fast your fingers can press the button to destroy something? Shooting and destroying are worn out themes. Its time for some..originality!

Old 09-03-2016, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student66 View Post
I bought a Wii U, and, wish I hadn't. With all due respect, I think Nintendo needs a major boost in creativity. I had so much fun with the NES and Super NES. The "fun" factor, for me, has been gone for quite a while. They need to put out a console that BEATS the competition, specs wise. Then, produce a ton of good CREATIVE games. The creativity in video games, in general, is a complete joke. So many games are just shooting/destroy/fighting games. While the graphics may be nice, the basic premise of each game is the same, fight, shoot, destroy. How pathetic! What a lack of creativity! How about some other elements, like, mystery, or using your brain to figure things out instead of just how fast your fingers can press the button to destroy something? Shooting and destroying are worn out themes. Its time for some..originality!
The Mystery Puzzle genre definitely needs more love. Some Devs try but the games are never designed properly. The FPS genre has hurt gaming severely. It may be a generational thing I'm not sure, I enjoyed Star Wars Battlefront 2 on PS2. Not because it was a shooter, but because it was a Star Wars game. The Platform genre needs some new ideas, especially on the 3rd Party side of things. Rayman is the only great one out there, all the others seem to only come from indies. Limbo and Papo & Yo were really good, but Activision and EA would bring anything to the table. The Fighting genre needs to stop with the updates and remixes. They put out a game then release 2 or 3 versions of the same game. Just make one game.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samansam View Post
I'm not sure if it's even going to happen, but the NX needs to be more bloody powerful process/graphics wise than the PS4/X box One.
It doesn't need power, it need games. Games of great variety.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:56 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The Wii U has been a disaster for Nintendo which is probably why the company was forced to announce the NX so soon. It seems that the company is going to attempt to leverage some of their hand-held success for their next console. I'm not sure how well that's going to work out but it's clear that Nintendo is holding back software originally intended for the Wii U to help boost the NX.

If the NX is to succeed it will need:

1) A unified on-line network like Sony and Microsoft offer.

2) Strong third-party support.

3) Consistent release schedules for Nintendo's own first-party offerings like the popular Zelda and Pokemon franchises. Right now Nintendo is relying too heavily on Mario and his Mushroom Kingdom posse to move consoles and it's not working.
to be specific strong third party exclusives like when we had the megaman battle network series. sega's sonic boom is a terrible third party exclusive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games