Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
I see a couple problems. Their relationship with NA 3rd parties seems forced. The Japanese 3rd parties is who they will to turn to to file out software. I also think only releasing a home based system is a bad idea. They should also create a mobile only package that contains the tablet, AC charger and Joy Cons for a lower price point. Not everyone will need the dock, HDMI cable and grip. Forcing people to get the home only set up for 299.99 may folks to wait on a price drop.
Yes Nintendo needs to be careful with this one in the long term.

For now though seems promising. GameStop is sold out of preorders for the Switch and I think it will sell very well initially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 05:55 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
To me, the Switch just seems like a beefed up mobile console that happens to have a dock. I would be interested in some first party games, but it's going to need a discount first.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:06 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,116 times
The Switch looks like a promising concept but I haven't seen any games for it yet that compel me to get one before the 2017 holiday season. The Zelda game looks good but I can play that on my Wii U so the Switch's $300 MSRP seems a little pricey until a more diverse lineup of software is revealed.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:19 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
Who buys a console for its launch games?

Old 01-20-2017, 02:33 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yes Nintendo needs to be careful with this one in the long term.

For now though seems promising. GameStop is sold out of preorders for the Switch and I think it will sell very well initially.
S Guy, what would be your sales prediction? More than Wii U but less than Wii seems to be where it will fall. I hope it can do PS2 numbers and have the software to match. The industry needs another system to do PS2 numbers.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:39 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
The Switch looks like a promising concept but I haven't seen any games for it yet that compel me to get one before the 2017 holiday season. The Zelda game looks good but I can play that on my Wii U so the Switch's $300 MSRP seems a little pricey until a more diverse lineup of software is revealed.
That Price point is steep. I don't think Nintendo ever wants to be higher than a PlayStation when it comes to pricing. PS4 is like 250 right now and the Switch doesn't match it in power or specs. Games will make the difference. Nintendo should also make a dockless package that only comes with the tablet, charger and joy cons. Players don't really need all that other stuff to play the games.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:06 PM

Quote:
S Guy, what would be your sales prediction? More than Wii U but less than Wii seems to be where it will fall. I hope it can do PS2 numbers and have the software to match. The industry needs another system to do PS2 numbers.
I wish the Switch well also, as I do have a soft spot for Nintendo.

But based on several articles I've read, I'm not too optimistic for the long run. Perhaps it will do better than the Wii U like you predict, but by how much not sure.

I'm still struck by how little there third party support there seems to be, as well as the paltry lack of games being released with the system debut as well as the immediate months after.

I get the impression that third parties are mostly adopting a wait and see attitude. Months ago, there seemed to be a lot of optimism as press releases showed all the third parties ready to support the Switch. Yet recently, 2K Games stated they weren't developing Borderlands 3 for the Switch.

Legend of Zelda is a huge game of course, the biggest ever, but is that enough to sustain people until the fall/winter? Much of the games released between then are not exactly awe inspiring, and many of them could be rented for the PS4 for cheap.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:58 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/cap...il-to-nintendo

Capcom no plans to release RE7 for the Switch.

Another company holding off on Switch. Ominous.

Old 01-23-2017, 01:52 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,577 times
Quote:

No way it will sell even close to PS2. It's going to appeal to the Nintendo hardcores but not much else.

The hardware is already underpowered and the controller is too gimmicky, which is causing third parties to shy away from it. Even EA hasn't announced anything other than FIFA.

It is also like the Wii U in that it sits between a console and a handheld and that will confuse more casual gamers, even more so with the waggle controls being brought back. It is more of an actual full fledged handheld than the Wii U, but not many people are going to want to bring it outside. If people want to play Nintendo games on the go, they can get a DS for 1/3rd of the price and have something with a large library of games, is more portable and durable, and has a much longer battery life.

The online system is still far behind Playstation and Xbox. Everything is done via a phone app. Are you kidding me? I'm not a big online gamer, but that is just ridiculous.

Also a lot of people bought a PS2 for its' DVD playback capabilities. The Switch won't even be able to use Netflix or Youtube. A lot of people just want one box to hook up to the TV and not to have to switch every time they want to move from games to TV to movies.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:55 PM

Yes the Switch won't ship with any such features, so apparently they're really going with the emphasis on it being solely a gaming system.

There was an article recently on Business Insider that made a great case about how vital the new Zelda game is for the Switch, especially as a launch title.

This Zelda game simply has to be no less than a masterpiece with a 10 score, for the Switch to have any hope of success at least initially. I don't think that will be a problem but shows how important one game is for a launch system.

So far, from what I see the Zelda looks about perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games