Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:11 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,755,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
I have been thinking about getting this game. So the addiction isn't really about the game but the person, as far as I can read. Now really what is the average time you sit down to play in one sitting, with an expansive area as what I hear, 30 mins. does seem pretty short. Even though I know Red wouldn't ever lead me astray.
Yes, 30 minutes is a short amount of time. But you have to realize, I have really good control when it comes to monitoring my game play. I know that it's a waste of time, and I limit myself because of it.

Also, I've been playing it for a couple of years now, so unlike a new player, I've seen a lot of the game content. There's not that "Wheeeee!" factor anymore, so I can easily log in for 30 minutes, do something, and then log out.

The longest period of time I played in one sitting would have to be probably about 18 hours, when I was visiting a very good friend of mine. We both are players, and we just sat down one weekend and said hey, let's start new characters and see how far we can get them today. But that's a very rare thing for me to play more than an hour or two at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:46 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Yes, 30 minutes is a short amount of time. But you have to realize, I have really good control when it comes to monitoring my game play. I know that it's a waste of time, and I limit myself because of it.

Also, I've been playing it for a couple of years now, so unlike a new player, I've seen a lot of the game content. There's not that "Wheeeee!" factor anymore, so I can easily log in for 30 minutes, do something, and then log out.

The longest period of time I played in one sitting would have to be probably about 18 hours, when I was visiting a very good friend of mine. We both are players, and we just sat down one weekend and said hey, let's start new characters and see how far we can get them today. But that's a very rare thing for me to play more than an hour or two at a time.
Wow 18 hours straight. I used to play a whole lot and I don't think I have ever hit that mark. I am still undecided. Even if I tried, I don't think I would be able to stay on for a long time at one sitting, due to kids, work and everything else. So can you actually get things accomplished in just a 30 min. stint or do you really need to be on it for a long duration to really advance?

Old 03-25-2008, 08:29 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsvMike View Post
Wow 18 hours straight. I used to play a whole lot and I don't think I have ever hit that mark. I am still undecided. Even if I tried, I don't think I would be able to stay on for a long time at one sitting, due to kids, work and everything else. So can you actually get things accomplished in just a 30 min. stint or do you really need to be on it for a long duration to really advance?
our guild used to pull 6 hour raids (while learning new content) at least three times a week.

The usual instance group runs can take a quick as 1 hour, or as long as 2 depending on the group you have.

normal questing you can log out anytime you want.

I quit because it got boring after two and a half years, At the time I had the best geared Enhancement shaman on the server, which is funny since at the time I quit no guild really wanted enhancement shaman, only resto spec shaman. I think I quit at the wrong time lol.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
I like WOW but you really cant get everywhere in the game unless you play for Hours
And Hours lol.You need Level X to get this Armor,Level Y to get your Mount lol
Its very easy to start playing way too much.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM

39 posts, read 215,752 times
i myself am a fellow WOW addict. when my boyfriend started playing i was like, you gotta be kidding me...what is this? that was before we lived together, he would actually bring his PC from home to play @ my house. he told me i'd like it, so i tried it out. @ 1st i hated it, but now i play more then he does...

you gotta give it a little time. i didn't like my 1st char till i was like lvl 25ish, then the addiction really kicks in. i now have a 70, 62 and a few lowbies...this game is great, but you have to know when too much is too much

Old 09-30-2008, 04:10 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,095 times
My g/f brother is addicted. Well, him and his DAD!!!
Sad thing is my "bro-in-law" just had a child who is almost 1 and he still plays. Works til noon or 2 and then will sit and play until 10pm or so. Never picks up his kid, and rarely does anything else. His childs mother/girlfriend of sorts is trying to get him out of the habit. He and his father put in some long hours on that...dumb IMO, at least that much when he has a newborn and could be working more hours to provide more money.

I have no interest.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:53 PM

956 posts, read 3,002,029 times
How is it people get addicted to this game more so than other games? Does one's computer dispense coke or some other narcotic while playing?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
How is it people get addicted to this game more so than other games? Does one's computer dispense coke or some other narcotic while playing?
this game has the highest subscriber rate of any game in history. It is just because of that that you hear all of this addiction to it. When I was little it was Dungeon & dragons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games