Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 10:11 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Don't get stuck in a grounded vindaloop.
Haha, I loved that episode!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2016, 12:00 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Haha, I loved that episode!
It was a major mind---k.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
I'm worried I'd get ill but want to try it out.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm worried I'd get ill but want to try it out.
Understandable. The good news is as long as the person demoing it has a decent computer, there's nothing inherent in the new Rift or Vive or PSVR that will make you ill. They've solved all those latency, low refresh rate, judder, pixel persistence problems and added positional tracking, good FOV, low screen-door effect, etc.

You might still get ill if you tried something with artificial locomotion, such as Windlands on the Rift. Or, you might get ill just from something that would also make you ill in the real world -- heights, jolting experiences, fast action, etc.

But with the right experience there's very little chance of motion sickness. There are "comfort" ratings which relate both to how much artificial locomotion (if any) there is as well as how intense the action (if any) is.

My girlfriend is eager to try Tilt Brush, the painting program for the Vive that lets you paint with light and other materials right in the virtual air. It's a room-scale experience with 1:1 movement, pretty much guaranteed to cause no motion sickness of any kind. She's arty and has watched a few of the videos and thinks it looks great.

Or, you could try something like Lucky's Tale for the Rift, which has been getting surprisingly robust scores in the gaming press. You might not think a 3rd-person 3D platform game (think Mario 64 / Super Mario 3D world / Crash Bandicoot, somewhere in that continuum) would translate into VR but actually it's really really cool to play something like this where you can lean in and say hello to Lucky and look all over his environment. Makes it feel like you're playing with a living diorama.

Old 03-30-2016, 05:11 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times

Brown Nerd tries VR headset

Old 04-01-2016, 08:44 AM

Tested has spoken, on the initial Oculus Rift CV1.

I really love what they say about Lucky's Tale and Blazerush. I can't agree more. It just renders playing games on a flat monitor tepid and uninvolving by comparison, even genres you never expected to translate into VR. I pretty much have no desire to play things that aren't in VR anymore. It is literally like going from 2 dimensions to 3 dimensions. It is literally like looking at a game being played through a windows to BEING THERE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC2V...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-05-2016, 09:34 AM

SteamVR launch trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYfNzhLXYGc

Old 04-08-2016, 03:57 PM

HTC Vive Review - Tom's Hardware
Quote:
“HTC and Valve came together and created something truly incredible. The experience that you get from room-scale VR with hand-tracked controllers is going to change your definition of what gaming can be. Rather than sitting in a chair, using a gamepad and imagining what it’d be like to vanquish your enemies with a sword, you can get up and swing it yourself. That sense of glory from winning a battle gets a lot more real.

The truth is, I’ve never in my life had this kind of experience, and I mean that. I can't compare it to anything I've ever done before. Playing games on one monitor is fun. A bigger, higher-resolution screen is incrementally cooler. And gaming across multiple displays seems like the most immersive window into that world possible the first time you sit down in front of three screens. But none of that compares even remotely to being inside the game.”
So I've had my Vive for about two days now and I've found my spirit animal. The experiences I've had ALREADY in the Vive blow everything I've ever done in an arcade, on a console, or on a PC away. I'm pretty much through with playing anything on a flat screen, forever. The feeling you get from the Vive is of being somewhere. The tracking is immaculate. 3D polygon graphics, which I've been seeing in games since about 1994, suddenly make SENSE.

My girlfriend, who is a confirmed NON-GAMER, is mesmerized and can't get enough of the Vive. She was skeptical. It was like pulling teeth to get her to try it, but now she can't wait to get back into "her" space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games