Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 01:25 AM

105 posts, read 118,849 times

Advertisements

So for quite awhile, but especially now there has been lots of debate on how various media can attract more of a female audience. I am curious what your thoughts are.

A good example is video games. Lots of men such as myself buy the new systems coming out to play the new games, a lot of the time they are of the very violent category. Of course a lot of women are turned off by it and won't buy it.

But companies going back to the old days would release "girl games" such as barbie games, mary kate and ashley games, etc. etc. which usually did not sell that well. Same could be said for other forms of entertainment despite it being said they used focus groups.

So my question is is do you think there is really anything companies can do to make women more likely to spend $300+ on a new gaming system as well as the money on games to make women more willing to buy video games while at the same time releasing the type of games men typically like, or do you think it's more of a futile effort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 04:24 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
There's plenty of women who are into all kinds of games. Tons of women spend money on gaming consoles.

Let's just remember gaming is typically for a younger male crowd and that will most likely not change too much. Doesn't mean there isn't a large amount of women who play the games .. it's just proportionally less

Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
The population of female gamers is rising.. very fast.... Same with other things like comic books and such. Have you been to a gaming or comic convention lately? (fun even if you are not totally interested in gaming or comics).

I think what you are observing is what used to be society pressuring girls to play, act, dress, a certain way loosening up. For the same reason why we question boy's sexuality (without real good reason) if they play with Barbie dolls.

I think gaming companies are already doing well to make female gamers feel welcome; female characters/avatars.

PS> Is this thread really belong in this relationship forum?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:13 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
Does the OP really want her on his gaming system? Are you going to tell her that she's playing My Little Pony Universe for too long?

Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,719,216 times
I've been into video games, comics, and anime since I was in middle school.

I've had just about every game system from the sega genesis to the wii u. If a person is really into video games, then they can easily spend a lot of money on systems and games. It's not gender specific. All the companies have to do is make decent/cool games and that's really it. In my opinion anyway.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:01 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
My experience is that virtually everyone play video games but women are more attracted to games with a story or artwork than just mindless fighting, shooting, and sports. Men play a larger variety of games than women. It can be simple casual games but it has to look nice and not look like Flappy Bird.

Lots of women play online RPG games but less play shooters and even less play racing and sports games.

The Sims I believe is one of few predominately female game.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:23 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,368,374 times
I'm not sure how to answer this because I'm a gamer and have been into comics, graphic novels, etc., for two decades. I have no problem spending $400+ on a console, and would totally spend $1500+ on a top of the lime gaming rig, if I were willing to. We have two X-Box consoles and a PS4, and I play PC games here and there. I've been eyeing a Steambox for a little while.

I don't need game developers attempting to market to my gender. With various hobbies in "geek" culture becoming more mainstream we're seeing more and more girls and young women growing interested in such things. There's no need to tailor games to a certain gender just to make gaming more enticing. This won't attract actual gamers. Just casual users who are more likely to stick to phone and tablet apps.

My older kids (girls) play the games we play, which is a lot of Marvel, DC, Borderlands, Skyrim, Tomb Raider, Battlefront, Last of Us, LEGO games, etc.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:54 PM

540 posts, read 1,105,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoznots View Post
So my question is is do you think there is really anything companies can do to make women more likely to spend $300+ on a new gaming system as well as the money on games to make women more willing to buy video games while at the same time releasing the type of games men typically like, or do you think it's more of a futile effort?
As far as I am concerned, all they need to do is make quality games. I'm female and dropped the $50 on Uncharted 4 and have played it through twice already including Crushing, no cheats. I've double-dipped on The Last of Us (PS3, and Remastered). I'm ready for Mirror's Edge Catalyst next.

That said, I don't also have an xbox. Just the PS3/PS4. And pre-2008 I wasn't into video games. Yes, I started with a Wii after a friend sucked me in. There were a $#!+ ton of crap Wii games, but a few innovative ones. But it was my enjoyment of the ported RE4 (and the Zelda games) that led me on to more gaming.

Now, there are definitely games/styles that don't appeal to me. COD for example. Though I know there are other women gamers who like them. So it is not just about being female it is about personality types and what they enjoy. I also really don't bother with multiplayer. But then, I'm more of an introvert anyway.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:59 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Lots of women play online RPG games but less play shooters and even less play racing and sports games.
That depends on the woman, though.

I happen to be a woman who loves fighting games, some shooters, and some racing games (F-Zero being one of my favorites). The only RPG to even grab my attention is Pokemon.

Old 05-25-2016, 12:38 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,727,132 times
I know plenty of female gamers, some play the Sims or whatnot, some play WoW, others like my sister play a ton. She clocked over 200 hours in Bf3 when she was pregnant (and became quite good at it, better with a game pad than I ever was in an fps shooter) with her 1st daughter. She also spent an insane amount of time playing Motorstorm Apocalypse, civ 5, heroes of might and magic and many many more.

There is exactly one thing these companies have to do to get women more into gaming - they need to stop treating them like they are.. well, different ? Special ? I don't really know how to say it. They need to start treating women like people. From what I've noticed, most women gamers want quality games, not special treatment. A quality product will defend itself and will be picked up by many gamers regardless of sex.
I also have to say I am happy to observe this old cliche that only men play games, die. Just like more and more people realize games are not only for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games