Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 06:34 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,729,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madeline2121 View Post
Are they going to be taking pre- orders in stores for this?
The pre-orders will be available for all of 10 seconds, most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:03 AM

34,944 posts, read 31,087,664 times
I understand there is some nostalgia and the rarity aspect of this, but I don't get why people would pay 300% over retail for what is fundamentally a tiny box with a few ROMs loaded on it.

Most people who care about these old systems either have the old systems and games or the ROMs already.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:14 AM

15,756 posts, read 20,352,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I understand there is some nostalgia and the rarity aspect of this, but I don't get why people would pay 300% over retail for what is fundamentally a tiny box with a few ROMs loaded on it.

Most people who care about these old systems either have the old systems and games or the ROMs already.

I agree, but at the same time I understand many people probably A) don't know how to get their hands on an original system (ebay) or B ) do not know how to download and play the ROM's that are available.

I put together a Retropie using a Raspberry Pi for $75 or so, and loaded it with a few thousand ROM's for NES, genesis, SNES, N64, Atari, arcade machines and more. It's the size of an I-phone, and I even linked my old PS3 Bluetooth remotes to it. No cords, and I can play super Mario. Took me less than an hour to set it all up

Old 06-28-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I agree, but at the same time I understand many people probably A) don't know how to get their hands on an original system (ebay) or B ) do not know how to download and play the ROM's that are available.
It's not just the original system, it's also the games for the original system. The SNES Classic has all the best ones already on there. It has 21 games. Go find a SNES and 21 of the best games on ebay and get back to me with that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I put together a Retropie using a Raspberry Pi for $75 or so, and loaded it with a few thousand ROM's for NES, genesis, SNES, N64, Atari, arcade machines and more. It's the size of an I-phone, and I even linked my old PS3 Bluetooth remotes to it. No cords, and I can play super Mario. Took me less than an hour to set it all up
I see a lot of these retropie posts everywhere. I may do this at some point as well if I can't get the SNES classic at retail price.

However, I simply don't care to take the time to learn to build something and pirate games if i don't have to. So, if I can't get ahold of an SNES classic to preorder (because, let's face it, i'm not waiting in a ****ing line for this), I may get an emulator. But I have enough games I want to play that aren't retro, that I may just pass altogether on this idea. People pay a premium for convenience, I'm one of those. (By premium I mean the retail price in this case.) I'm also not a diehard retro games fan, so going out of my way to build something isn't exactly enticing. I don't care that it takes only an hour, right now that's time i'd rather spend playing other games over building some little machine so that I can play old games. But if i can buy an SNES classic, premade, where I literally don't have to do a single ****ing thing, then hell yeah I'll pay $80 for that.

Really pisses me off that this is only available from September til the end of year. How awesome...for the scalpers.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:58 PM

17,219 posts, read 12,105,930 times
Yeah I don't feel great about the whole piracy aspect. But, I did make a concerted effort to buy the NES classic. And the games I am playing on my Retropie are for the most part ones that I do/did own in physical format as well. It's a convenience thing. Just easier to leave a phone sized raspberry pi plugged in to an hdmi port where I can access hundreds of games in an easy menu in seconds rather than fetching the console out of a closet, messing with adapters to connect to modern tv, spending time blowing on cartridges to get them to work, etc. It's just a much better way to experience the classics.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Yeah I don't feel great about the whole piracy aspect. But, I did make a concerted effort to buy the NES classic. And the games I am playing on my Retropie are for the most part ones that I do/did own in physical format as well. It's a convenience thing. Just easier to leave a phone sized raspberry pi plugged in to an hdmi port where I can access hundreds of games in an easy menu in seconds rather than fetching the console out of a closet, messing with adapters to connect to modern tv, spending time blowing on cartridges to get them to work, etc. It's just a much better way to experience the classics.
Yeah and even just your description of it made it sound pretty good. Like I said, I'll probably resort to that if I can't get the classic, and if my desire to play older games is strong enough. (I'd also like to go back and finally beat Majora's Mask and Windwaker, both of which I never finished).

I also sometimes feel like screw Nintendo, because they try to make you repay for the same games over and over, like with Virtual console, where your purchases didn't even carry over from system to system.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:51 PM

360 posts, read 370,686 times
Does anyone know the price?
Is it going to be the same of the one from the90's?

Old 06-29-2017, 03:49 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,180,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calwine View Post
Does anyone know the price?
Is it going to be the same of the one from the90's?
After scalpers get their grimy hands on them, expect the prices to be in the $300 - $500 range.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:51 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,964,676 times
Nintendo going for the quick cash grab again. There are 9 less games on this model and it will cost 20 dollars more. This will cost Nintendo no more than the NES Classic. I think I'll hold out for the $100 Game Cube Classic that just plays the original CDs.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:01 PM

17,219 posts, read 12,105,930 times
All the UK pre-orders sold out at £69.99, about $90 in straight exchange rate. And the pre-orders are of course being resold on ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games