Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 11:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I've been a perfectionist for most of my gaming life by now. I'm not much of a completionist unless I'm interested in getting all the collectibles in a game. My perfectionism is a bit different. The vast majority of the games I play are shooters, both first person and third person.

I've recently been playing Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 and I've restarted the game around 20 times probably. Anytime I die or the game glitches, I get really really really upset and angry. I hate that crap because my immersion gets broken and I hate how it breaks my chain of events. Even though I have the option to restart the mission, I choose to restart the whole game.

I also hate missing a shot, but it doesn't cause me to restart the game. I hate when I miss because it will alert an enemy and then all enemies go and take cover, which is good AI but annoying because they stay hidden for so long and I'm just sitting there holding my d*ck until they come out two centuries later. Secondary weapons in this game are lame except for the shotguns and I'm stuck with only three health bars for the most part. Even on easy difficulty, enemies kill you fast.

I know it's irrational and it's causing me mental despair, but I can't help but get really pissed off if things don't go my way because games rarely go my way. I refuse to use aim assist to avoid missing because I didn't pay for the game to play itself for me. I'm afraid I won't beat the game for a while because of this stupid annoying quirk I have. My perfectionism has flared up really bad for this game for some reason, dunno why. I paid $65 for this game. I will beat it eventually. Eventually.

Anyone else suffer from this garbage first world problem?
Well, I never got angry, but frustrated...yep. What I found interesting is that I did not get like that when playing on console, but I did get like that when playing on PC. Mainly it started when I switched to PC and played my first MMORPG. I was obsessed with getting every last thing, and I was one of those who if I died, I would just stop the fight and start over.

And then I realized that I wasn't having the fun that I used to have when I played on console. I had to sit back and ask myself what changed. Mainly it was the new (to me at the time) genre of game, and that I ended up competing with myself and every single other person who ever played the game. Why did I have to have everything go perfectly? And man, gaming wasn't as fun as it used to be.

I had to step back and remember why I started playing video games from when I was a kid.

Because it's fun.

I don't have to be the top player. I am never going to be in a tournament. I'm good, but I don't have to be "the best" because this is not my life. This is what I do to relax. It was at this time that I realized that I totally understood where my dad was coming from when he told me that he didn't want to make his hobby in to a living.

He's brilliant with woodwork. He could be wealthy beyond belief if he turned his hobby of woodworking in to income. He's that good at what he builds/creates. I asked him, when I was younger, why on earth didn't he do that for work? He told me he didn't want to, it was simply something he did for fun, to relax.

I didn't get it then. I totally get it now. I'm not saying that you're trying to make this hobby in to a living, the point is, the lesson is still in there in what he said. It doesn't matter how good you are, it should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I'm no expert, but it sounds a bit like some form of OCD. You should be having fun playing games, not get frustrated. I don't know if anyone can help you deal with this here, I know it's not something common.
Also I'd avoid this game for now, from what I read it has a ton of glitches and more serious issues.. they will probably patch most out eventually, but as it is it seems more like an Alpha than a full release at this point. The devs should be ashamed of releasing such unfinished titles.
Despite the title, all games should be fun. It is annoying when devs release unfinished work...which is a whole other topic I probably shouldn't get in to because that spit ticks me off to no end. DLCs annoy the hell out of me.

"Here's our unfinished game for $59.99. Go and play it."

Two weeks later: "Here's the first DLC for $29.99" which you come to realize should have been included in the fricken release of the game in the first place.

..........................ok, no, I said I wasn't going there.

Yes, the game should be fun. It should be for enjoyment, competition is fine as long as you're still enjoying it.

OP, if you're getting too frustrated, just find some friends and goof off in the game, find stupid things to do, release yourself from the need to finish everything perfectly, and just enjoy. If you can't do that, let the game sit. Go find another. Get back to the other game later, when it no longer irritates you. It can be hard to do sometimes, I get that, but you're only robbing yourself of the joy of gaming if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 11:43 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Here, OP:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQD...9i8Xzh85FKsuJA

This guy will remind you how to have fun in games.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:23 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,245 times
Only in MMO's or games like Diablo 3.

In Everquest I solo-farmed MANY ultra-rare items and sold them for millions--which allowed me to stand in town dressed in the finest, rarest gear in-game. One of the draws in online games for me is getting those rare, one-of-a-kind items. I love showing up for a mission in GTA Online driving a car most casual players have never seen.

Same goes for Diablo 3--nothing like having 'uber' gear, and with transmogs you can make your character look really unique (especially with rare transmogs).

I'm a perfectionist in online gaming when it comes to acquiring hard-to-get items.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:39 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
No. I kind of enjoy games that aren't rubber band style though where death actually has some consequence so you don't juts Leroy Jenkins it. I'll play games on the sadistic difficulty levels sometimes, but often they're not that good. Like fallout. Sorry but no fast travel on survival mode just got OLD. The game isn't designed for it as it sends you crisscrossing across the world hither and thither. There's a reason those old school RPGs without fast travel were done in self-contained acts occurring in smaller areas. Massive open world design without fast travel and it's kind of suck. I mean, yeah, I get the suspense that something like DayZ has that rubber band games do not, but DayZ can also be kind of boring. Okay, really boring. And then you meet someone and there's that, oh sh-- what's going to happen moment. Perfect. No fast travel in Fallout 4 was similar. It had its reward, but it was bought with a massive amount of tedium.

Dark Souls balanced that pretty well. You didn't start the game completely over, but you didn't just rubber band and restart a 5 minute mission. Obviously, it's controversial. Some people love Dark Souls for it's punitive nature. Others want a rubber band and to Leroy Jenkins.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:00 PM

127 posts, read 90,655 times
Yeah. Depending on the game (like Grand Theft Auto), I'll just go back to the Load Game part and start the mission over again if I fail it, and repeat until I pass it.

Last edited by ElusiveOne1; 05-21-2017 at 06:19 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 09:57 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac
I'm no expert, but it sounds a bit like some form of OCD. You should be having fun playing games, not get frustrated.
Indeed buddy!!

When I play donkey kong I get so mad when I mess up!!! (That stupid gorilla throwing barrels @ you!!)

Or when I play ms. pacman I get frusterated also!!

But I think I get the most mad when I try to play Pitfall II (Atari 2600) and I mess up! (When you mess up on this game you lose points and are sent back to the last X you went over...... VERY AGGRAVATING!!)

This game is MUCH EASIER on the atari console itself!! (Using an emulator where one doesnt have a joystick IS NO FUN!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games