Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 03:16 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times

Advertisements

I've read that article and I agree with all of the writer's points. I have the very same issues with RDR2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 11:37 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I've read that article and I agree with all of the writer's points. I have the very same issues with RDR2.
Me playing RDR2

I don't get why your character eating is fun
I don't get why your character drinking coffee is fun
I don't get why carrying hay bales is fun
I don't get why riding all over Christendom without fast travel is fun
I can see why grooming your horse might be fun, but only as an option, not so that if you don't you're penalized.

Basically, I'll sum it up;

If shooting people was not a crime, nor was stealing their stuff, I still would not want to be a gunslinger in the stylized old west, out in all weathers, hunting for food, owning and riding a horse was a luxury. Because it would be like real life, but incredibly boring, cold, wet, or hot and dusty, with intestinal parasites, and diseases, violence, and limited or no healthcare of any note.

I don't want games that are 100% reality simulators, because they're boring, and I know people can say "immersion" and it's so cool they even modeled X (pick any X you're truly amazed by in RDR2), but the question remains do they add to the fun of playing the game, or are they just over analyzed fluff from people thinking they're smarter than they really are?

Honestly feel that at times people are saying to me (when I say I just don't get RDR2) "Well if you read your industry breakdown, you'd see..." but I don't see, and I don't care about the industry breakdown.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:21 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
My take after playing into Chapter 4, extremely boring!! All the points mentioned are true, sorry I bought it.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:41 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,313,098 times
Game of the year IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5VJnxDLaZY

Old 12-13-2018, 09:42 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
I don't even know what chapter I'm in, I just rode a wagon into town with three ladies, and just talked to a guy about finding three gunslingers.

Maybe 10 hours or so in, and I'm really not that into it yet. Perhaps in a few more days, but with work and upcoming travel plans, I haven't been playing it much.

Compare that to Assassins Creed Odyssey where I was hooked and had to play every chance I got.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:00 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,901,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I second that!

Old 12-14-2018, 09:05 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't even know what chapter I'm in, I just rode a wagon into town with three ladies, and just talked to a guy about finding three gunslingers.

Maybe 10 hours or so in, and I'm really not that into it yet. Perhaps in a few more days, but with work and upcoming travel plans, I haven't been playing it much.

Compare that to Assassins Creed Odyssey where I was hooked and had to play every chance I got.
You're barely in the second chapter, and sadly, the game doesn't get any better than that. I had more fun throwing sticks of dynamite into bodies of water and exploring the vast wilderness. When you're finally hunting legendary animals, you can use just about any gun since the likely imperfect shots won't harm the pelt. I unloaded 5 slugs into the legendary bear, unloaded 2 or 3 slugs into the elk, the moose, and a couple into the wolf as well. There are legendary fish to be caught but they're a total chore to catch. That's where the dynamite comes in handy. It works so, so much better.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:46 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
I quit Red Dead 2 because it was so boring, starting playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. That's the way a game should be, full of action, constantly moving, love the game. RDR just went in my "To Be Traded In" file!

Old 12-15-2018, 10:52 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
You're barely in the second chapter, and sadly, the game doesn't get any better than that. I had more fun throwing sticks of dynamite into bodies of water and exploring the vast wilderness. When you're finally hunting legendary animals, you can use just about any gun since the likely imperfect shots won't harm the pelt. I unloaded 5 slugs into the legendary bear, unloaded 2 or 3 slugs into the elk, the moose, and a couple into the wolf as well. There are legendary fish to be caught but they're a total chore to catch. That's where the dynamite comes in handy. It works so, so much better.
I just killed the legendary bear but lost the pelt after I got killed by a random O'Driscoll goon holding up a stagecoach.

I do like the ambiance and graphics, just lovely on my PS4 Pro.

The mechanics of having to upkeep yourself and others isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Since I have nothing else to do will keep on playing, sort.of getting better as I get more used to it. We'll see.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:57 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I'm going to wait until it's $10 at Walmart. I figure somewhere round June 1st. That way I won't be as upset if it turns out as crappy as I think it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games