Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 04:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Never play on PC. Tired of having to spend money to keep up. Console is easy. it just works. The console isn't the reason for bugginess, the programmers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 01:53 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I got stuck on the mission to blow up the three groups of weaponized trucks in the south part of the map. Even with a hired gun, get shredded every time I get close to them.
I had a hard time with those convoys too. I found that the bomber plane is a good alternate choice - an air attack. By land, a good choice is the M-79. It takes a while to get those special weapons though. But they make a difference compared to using the more conventional weapons.
M-79 | Far Cry Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Old 09-01-2018, 02:00 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
I loved the ending! I saw headlines where a lot of people hated it but I thought it was well thought out & was refreshing. Loved the intro & loved the ending. I wish the game had more Joseph Seed. Such a good game all around.
Now I have to go clean up the map & go to town on side missions.
I thought the game graphics were just awesome - a major improvement compared to Far Cry 3. The part with the butterfly landing on the marshal while rowing the boat is just absurd - he seems kind of drugged out (LOL).

Now that a lot of people have experience on the game - get ready for the onslaught of costumes of the "Seed" family on Halloween.
https://i.fokzine.net/upload/18/03/1...st_800_450.jpg

Old 09-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I got stuck on the mission to blow up the three groups of weaponized trucks in the south part of the map. Even with a hired gun, get shredded every time I get close to them.

I took my time and figured out their route. Laid mines down.

Boom!

Old 09-02-2018, 06:29 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
Now that a lot of people have experience on the game - get ready for the onslaught of costumes of the "Seed" family on Halloween.
https://i.fokzine.net/upload/18/03/1...st_800_450.jpg
It would make my night if someone came to my door dressed as Joseph Seed on Halloween!

I'm playing new game +, but only for Faiths region & then I think I'm done. I thought her region was the best & her story was tragic. I only half way paid attention to her ending on the first play through, so I have to re-play it & pay more attention. The other siblings were plain evil but she was drugged & forced into the cult.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:33 PM

354 posts, read 281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
That might be it. I was certain I had two bows helping, but it's been a while and I'm deep into Ghost Recon now. GR is the buggiest PS4 game I've ever played BTW.
I'm playing Ghost Recon Wildlands on the PC now, also played FC5 on the PC. The games have quite a bit in common, especially if you played Far Cry Primal. I played Far Cry Primal on the PC on the hardest setting and LOVED it. Primal was the first Ubisoft game I played that introduced serious, actually helpful friendly AI. Primal was all about sneaking around and just surviving until you unlocked the owl (just like the drone in Wildlands) and then started taming other animals. Once you tamed the Sabretooth the game got easy. I'd simply use the owl to tag all enemies in the area, then air strike them while sending in the tiger

FC5 completely revolved around the Guns For Hire (GFH). It was missing the drone, much to my dismay. However you could recruit supporting GFHs (i.e. not the main characters) who are snipers or archers. Some of them have enemy tagging abilities. Once they get 10 kills the game lets you know what both of their abilities are. FC5 kinda lies to you and tells you the ability is "tags enemies at the start of combat", however this is not entirely true. They tag all enemies within a certain radius automatically. They also tag animals. This makes hunting very easy, particularly if the GFH is an archer or sniper. This tagging is the only reason I was able to hunt rabbits. I even accidentally found and killed an alpha rabbit. Boomer tags, but he also tends to scare away animals. GFH archers don't scare the wildlife.

This GFH dynamic had a LOT in common with Primal. If you played Primal before FC5 you noticed the devs carried over some AI coding. For example if the enemy sees your GFH it does not count as seeing you. You easily take every enemy outpost "undetected" by simply sending in GFH who have the tagging skill.

The one thing I HATE about Wildlands is that your team does a very poor job of covering you if the enemy suddenly blows your stealth. FC5 GFH do a very good job of staying stealthy until the enemy sees you, at which time they will automatically start playing bodyguard, killing everything nearby. FC5 is rather easy even on the hardest setting if you simply recruit 2 snipers as your GFH and learn the 'leadership' perk. They follow you around, stay stealthy, but if the enemy sees you they immediately one shot everyone. I'd walk around with a baseball bat and simply point at enemies for them to take down.

Wildlands on the other hand had the sync shot. Simply upgrade your skills for 3x sync shots, upgrade your drone, and you can turn that game into a command & control experience. The annoying thing is that you do have to actually order your team to help, they do a very poor job of automatically helping you when you desperately need them to because your stealth was just blown.

I loved both games for similar and for different reasons. FC5 made simply walking around more interesting. FC5 honestly had better friendly AI IMHO. FC5 had horrible enemy AI, making the game rather easy even on the hardest setting. Wildlands is very challenging on the 2 hardest settings and then has tier mode and ghost mode on top of that

Wildlands had a LOT more character customization and a very large amount of weapons to choose from and modify. Most weapons in Wildlands are actually useful, FC5 has a LOT of guns that simply do not do enough damage to really work in game. I ended up playing FC5 with a bow, M14, M60, and double barreled shotgun only. No other gun worked, with the exception of 50 cal sniper rifles. That initial AR type rifle took something like 6 rounds to the chest to put down a cultist who wasn't even wearing a vest. Wildlands on the other hand has so many guns that are actually functional that I took to arming my character with all HK firearms or all FNH ones.

Last edited by happygeek; 09-27-2018 at 08:58 PM..

Old 09-27-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
It would make my night if someone came to my door dressed as Joseph Seed on Halloween!

I'm playing new game +, but only for Faiths region & then I think I'm done. I thought her region was the best & her story was tragic. I only half way paid attention to her ending on the first play through, so I have to re-play it & pay more attention. The other siblings were plain evil but she was drugged & forced into the cult.
That was another thing about FC5 that made simply walking around more interesting. There are notes, phone messages, conversations with NPCs etc scattered all over Hope County [but mostly in Faith's region] that give you the back story on 'Faith'.

I give the Ubisoft devs a lot of credit too for scrapping the whole "hey, lets skin this animal in order to craft an ammo pouch for rifles" and substituting the hunting purely for skins to sell for money. Shoot a bunch of animals, or take the easy route and have your snipers or archers GFH do it, and viola, immediately buy a gun that actually kills cultists with 2 shots to the chest.

Wildlands on the other hand kinda encourages you to complete the rebel side missions first that let you call a chopper. The map is HUGE, as in 20 km by 20 km or 400 km square huge. FC5 on the other hand was about 8 km by 8km and triangular in shape rather than square (I couldn't tell you the square KMs of FC5 without more serious math ). I spent most of Wildlands doing 'call a chopper', fly to the next place, do the mission and/or grab the skill points/weapon case/etc. Wildlands gives you little reason to ever walk around the map or even drive.

Don't get me wrong Wildlands has intel and backstory stuff scattered around, but it's all marked on the map. I simply flew to the location and grabbed it. Some of the backstory is quite revealing and there is a huge twist at the end. The map in Wildlands is so huge though that if the stuff wasn't marked on the map you would never find it. Different games, slightly different takes. IMHO the size of the map in FC5 was perfect. Any bigger and no one would bother walking around and finding the backstory, hunting, stumbling on funny/witty stuff, etc.

The great thing about Wildlands is that they included everything from forest to desert to jungle to tundra in the various regions of the map. FC5 is mostly forest and some tundra.

I played both on PC and absolutely loved both. In all seriousness I give Ubisoft a LOT of credit for continuing to put full featured single player/co-op campaigns into games. I quit playing CoD because they forgot about that

Old 12-06-2018, 08:41 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Interesting, Ubisoft just announced a sequel coming out in February.

It's on presale for $40 so don't think it's a full fledged game, which usually goes for $59.99 these days.

Perhaps it's their way of atoning for the craptastic DLC's they gave us for FC5.

'Far Cry New Dawn' turns Hope County into a nuclear wasteland next year

Far Cry: New Dawn is a post-apocalyptic sequel to Far Cry 5

Old 12-07-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygeek View Post
That was another thing about FC5 that made simply walking around more interesting. There are notes, phone messages, conversations with NPCs etc scattered all over Hope County [but mostly in Faith's region] that give you the back story on 'Faith'.

I give the Ubisoft devs a lot of credit too for scrapping the whole "hey, lets skin this animal in order to craft an ammo pouch for rifles" and substituting the hunting purely for skins to sell for money. Shoot a bunch of animals, or take the easy route and have your snipers or archers GFH do it, and viola, immediately buy a gun that actually kills cultists with 2 shots to the chest.

Wildlands on the other hand kinda encourages you to complete the rebel side missions first that let you call a chopper. The map is HUGE, as in 20 km by 20 km or 400 km square huge. FC5 on the other hand was about 8 km by 8km and triangular in shape rather than square (I couldn't tell you the square KMs of FC5 without more serious math ). I spent most of Wildlands doing 'call a chopper', fly to the next place, do the mission and/or grab the skill points/weapon case/etc. Wildlands gives you little reason to ever walk around the map or even drive.

Don't get me wrong Wildlands has intel and backstory stuff scattered around, but it's all marked on the map. I simply flew to the location and grabbed it. Some of the backstory is quite revealing and there is a huge twist at the end. The map in Wildlands is so huge though that if the stuff wasn't marked on the map you would never find it. Different games, slightly different takes. IMHO the size of the map in FC5 was perfect. Any bigger and no one would bother walking around and finding the backstory, hunting, stumbling on funny/witty stuff, etc.

The great thing about Wildlands is that they included everything from forest to desert to jungle to tundra in the various regions of the map. FC5 is mostly forest and some tundra.

I played both on PC and absolutely loved both. In all seriousness I give Ubisoft a LOT of credit for continuing to put full featured single player/co-op campaigns into games. I quit playing CoD because they forgot about that

I drive just because it's so much fun. Learning to to take u-turns fast is a blast. Dodging other vehicles by going between them (one each direction) w/o hitting either one is a hoot. And if you have a good set of speakers you hear the cars whooshing past in the other lane. Some of the things they say when you get in:

"You better not roll this thing".

"To the market Jeeves".

"How come I never get to drive anymore? It was just that one time".

Old 12-09-2018, 07:03 AM

Thanks for posting that! I didn't know they were coming out with more Far Cry content.

Wildlands was the first 3rd person game I'd played in forever. If it didn't include first person aiming I probably never would have played it. I wish it let you drive and fly in first person. The 3rd person does help with sneaking around, which is a huge part of that game. Honestly though I suspect a big part of making it third person was to include lots of DLC. 3rd person allows you to actually see your outfit during gameplay. I'd never heard of A-Tacs camo or Kryptek camo before (after Googling I realized why; they're not used by really any military).

I also give Ubisoft credit for not making the DLC annoying. They put the paid for guns, outfits, etc at the bottom of the list of things you can equip so you don't have to scroll past them constantly.

Ubisoft has some good marketing people btw. I had only played the Far Cry series. Then one day while I'm firing up Uplay on the PC to launch FC5 it starts going "pst, pst hey buddy. Wanna play a Ghost Recon Wildlands free trial?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games