Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2018, 11:50 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times

Advertisements

What are peoples opinions on this? There is a game called Fortnite that was recently released for Switch. The game allows players from Switch & Xbox to play with each other online. The game is also on PlayStation, but the capability to play with Xbox & Switch is disabled. In the game you able to make progress and purchase upgrades but if you create your character on a PlayStation and attempt to use that character on Xbox or Nintendo you will get a blocked message stating you must create a new account for Xbox\Nintendo. This seems to have many players upset. Recently Nintendo & Xbox released this ad & tweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8nJ_liqrw

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/...42596120690688

Definitely a shot at PlayStation. Is PlayStation wrong for keeping their system to themselves or should they join with the Xbox-Nintendo situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 12:40 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
What are peoples opinions on this? There is a game called Fortnite that was recently released for Switch. The game allows players from Switch & Xbox to play with each other online. The game is also on PlayStation, but the capability to play with Xbox & Switch is disabled. In the game you able to make progress and purchase upgrades but if you create your character on a PlayStation and attempt to use that character on Xbox or Nintendo you will get a blocked message stating you must create a new account for Xbox\Nintendo. This seems to have many players upset. Recently Nintendo & Xbox released this ad & tweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l8nJ_liqrw

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/...42596120690688

Definitely a shot at PlayStation. Is PlayStation wrong for keeping their system to themselves or should they join with the Xbox-Nintendo situation?
Issue isn't PS keeping their system for themselves, it's that a third party is involved (Epic). There is no rational reason that a user of Fortnite should not have the ability to transfer that across any connected network of that system. That's not to say that PSN must permit active cross-play between users on XBL/NSO but a user of PSN should be pretty p***ed that their data is being held hostage by Sony preventing that data being used on competing systems.

I'll give you an analogy, suppose you live in Xbox town, you can drive your car to Nintendo town, and PC town, and Android town and iOS town, and you can drive it back again, you can even take a tour (and the same applies to Nintendo town residents). But, if you drive your car into PS town, you need to buy a new car to drive back to Xbox town or Nintendo town, or, if you bought the car in PS town it will never take you to Xbox town or Nintendo town.

OK that may sound trivial, but, the kicker is that on Fortnite character and inventory is tied to the Fortnite user (like Bungie users are the repository of Destiny 1/2 characters and vault), etc. Which includes premium purchases.

Sorry this whole thing stinks and unfortunately is not unusual behavior from Sony. They always revert to type when they think they can get away with it.

Old 06-24-2018, 03:17 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
As much as I would love to play certain games with my friends from XB/PC, PC players have a distinct advantage where controls are concerned, especially in PvP modes (like Fortnite). The movements are more precise and it’s much easier to get headshots on PC.
I also don’t blame Sony for not wanting to enter in an agreement with Microsoft, who run both XBox and Windows. It’s advantageous for the two MS platforms to cross, but not Sony.

@Gungnir, are you sure about that? PS players have been able to transfer their characters to XB and PC on GTA Online for years now, and it only stopped because Rockstar was tired of all the modded accounts being ported to current gen.

Old 06-25-2018, 01:05 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
As much as I would love to play certain games with my friends from XB/PC, PC players have a distinct advantage where controls are concerned, especially in PvP modes (like Fortnite). The movements are more precise and it’s much easier to get headshots on PC.
I also don’t blame Sony for not wanting to enter in an agreement with Microsoft, who run both XBox and Windows. It’s advantageous for the two MS platforms to cross, but not Sony.

@Gungnir, are you sure about that? PS players have been able to transfer their characters to XB and PC on GTA Online for years now, and it only stopped because Rockstar was tired of all the modded accounts being ported to current gen.
Positive. GTA Online ain't Fortnite GTA isn't a cross play title. This gen PS4, XB1, PC it supports 30 players, last gen X360, PS3 it supports 16, it's not even run on the same servers (each platform has dedicated servers), so there's little chance of cross play.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/12/1...ox-one-e3-2018

Note the image from Epic in the second half of the page. It also applies to Rocket League and Minecraft on PS4,

Old 06-26-2018, 07:26 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,703,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post

Xbox One is rumoured to have mouse/keyboard support coming very soon.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:59 PM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Xbox One is rumoured to have mouse/keyboard support coming very soon.
Yeah I saw that..should be good for cross-platforming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games