Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2018, 09:07 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,410,920 times

Advertisements

When my disabled father (76 years old) was at an inpatient rehabilitation hospital years ago, I remember hearing about Wii. They were using it with patients with spinal cord injuries - like my Dad - and people had a lot of fun with it. My Dad never got to try it.

I think I'd like to buy Wii for my Dad for Xmas. It has gotten harder and harder for him to exercise and to get out of the house. He would only be able to use it sitting, most likely.

It looks like the basic Wii model is pretty outdated, and discontinued, but I can still pick it up used/refurbished. I'm a little confused with the Wii, Wii U, Wii Fit, balance board etc... what works with what... what combination of things are needed and are compatible.

Can you advise me what would be the best combination of things to get for my Dad?

He doesn't need video game type things, and doesn't need all the bells/whistles. I'm interested in more of the sports/activities that would allow him to get outside of his (limited) body and feel like he is participating/exercising... and even better if he can play with his grand-daughter when she comes at Xmas.

Years ago he was on the tennis team and rifle team, so if they had games that took advantage of those skills/interests that would be wonderful. He might like anything that allows him to use his upper body/trunk. I think he would like driving games too. I'm not sure of what comes with the refurbished Wii console itself... maybe nothing? Do I need to buy everything separately? Do I need to buy additional controllers, and is it better to pick those up now? At most, he would play with one other person, if there are even games that are for two people to play at a time.

Any recs?

It looks like I can pick up this stuff on Craiglist, but I am a little worried about getting everything 2nd hand that route in case it doesn't all work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 11:55 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,300 times
Here's a listing for a Wii bundle from GameStop, probably more expensive than you'll find on Craigslist, but more reliable and you can return it if it has problems. It has all the cables, etc. you need to hook it up to a TV, you may need to get batteries for the controller, though - and you may want to get an extra one if he wants to play with someone else at the same time.

https://www.gamestop.com/wii/console...rbished/165838

You dad won't care about the Mario games, but the grandkid(s) will like them.

But it also has Wii Sports, which is a collection of games like tennis, golf, boxing, etc. It's probably what you saw in the hospital. My wife is a memory care/assisted living nurse and they play this in activities for the residents. There is a sequel, Wii Sports Resort that he might like as well

https://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/w...ame-only/76050

The controller can be pointed at the screen and "fired" like a gun - most of those games may be too violent for your dad, but there are some hunting games like this

https://www.gamestop.com/wii/games/c...ter-2012/91878

If your Dad has issues standing, don't bother with Wii Fit and the balance board - you have to stand on it to make it work.

The WiiU was basically the next "upgraded" version of the Wii, with it's big gimmick playing everything on a controller that had a screen on it - I wouldn't bother with it - probably way more than your dad needs and he might find it too confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games