Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 09:06 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Vanilla didn't hold your hand, it was pretty damn difficult, it took time to gear up and gain access to certain raid dungeons, BRD is where that Leeroy Jenkins video became a worldwide viral sensation, Onyxia raids were pretty awesome, the tier 2 warrior armor was/is the best looking set, open world PvP was damn fun (Southshore vs Tarren Mill), Archimonde and Tichondrius were the best PvP servers, dying in world PvP had its consequences such as gear decay, and the overall magic the game started with never really died in vanilla.
I'm really enjoying classic so far. I'm only a 20 warrior, but WC/RFC were so easy they didn't really need a tank - a hunter pet would be fine. Most of the bosses died faster than their accompanying trash. I had about a gold and a half on me yesterday before a training - I don't remember having that much so early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 01:38 PM

2,802 posts, read 3,189,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm really enjoying classic so far. I'm only a 20 warrior, but WC/RFC were so easy they didn't really need a tank - a hunter pet would be fine. Most of the bosses died faster than their accompanying trash. I had about a gold and a half on me yesterday before a training - I don't remember having that much so early.
I relapsed. I'm running around on Netherwind as an undead rogue. It's a PvP server. I forgot how much of a PITA leveling one was.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:38 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
I played the original briefly but I found all the fetch quests, etc. very repetitive and boring and didn’t stick with it long.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
I played the original briefly but I found all the fetch quests, etc. very repetitive and boring and didn’t stick with it long.
Yeah, there's that and a plethora of reasons that started to remind me why I stopped playing in the first place. The nostalgia wore off pretty fast. I don't see myself playing it by December.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:20 AM

I'm now feeling very "meh."

I went from 21 to 22 yesterday. I'm in this weird spot where I can't solo some of the nonelite quests I have as a warrior, can't do the elites, and am too low level for the higher level quests in Ashenvale and Stonetalon. I was playing yesterday morning, so few people around, but couldn't solo a level 24 as an arms warrior at 21 with 3 pieces of gear from WC and everything else green 13+.

Old 09-05-2019, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I'm now feeling very "meh."

I went from 21 to 22 yesterday. I'm in this weird spot where I can't solo some of the nonelite quests I have as a warrior, can't do the elites, and am too low level for the higher level quests in Ashenvale and Stonetalon. I was playing yesterday morning, so few people around, but couldn't solo a level 24 as an arms warrior at 21 with 3 pieces of gear from WC and everything else green 13+.
I, too, have hit the wall- at level 6! I don't remember classic/vanilla being this slow on the leveling, or the skills being so expensive early on. Then there's Activision basically trying to get people who are now at level 60 to switch back to BfA. It all reeks. The server I started on went from medium or high population to low in a matter of 5 days. I rerolled on a high population server. I was on last night and it's now at low population. I don't think classic will last very long at this rate since the old system is downright crappy compared to today's standards.

Plus there's the overwhelming feeling I've just attempted to rekindle a long dead friendship. It started off okay and now I'm realizing why the friendship ended. I just uninstalled classic and don't plan on going back. There are way better games to play.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
I, too, have hit the wall- at level 6! I don't remember classic/vanilla being this slow on the leveling, or the skills being so expensive early on. Then there's Activision basically trying to get people who are now at level 60 to switch back to BfA. It all reeks. The server I started on went from medium or high population to low in a matter of 5 days. I rerolled on a high population server. I was on last night and it's now at low population. I don't think classic will last very long at this rate since the old system is downright crappy compared to today's standards.

Plus there's the overwhelming feeling I've just attempted to rekindle a long dead friendship. It started off okay and now I'm realizing why the friendship ended. I just uninstalled classic and don't plan on going back. There are way better games to play.
What gets me is that even simple QoL changes like more graveyards weren't implemented.

I think there are two graveyards in the entire Barrens. I died in the northeast part last week, and I think the run back was like 1800 yards. A ~1500 yd. run back takes around three to four minutes, then if you respawn in an area with mobs, the odds are high that you die again. I'm arms, but even with the WC quest sword (which is better than most 2H at 18-20) and L20 warrior shield, still can't pull more than one mob. When tanking, I can't generate rage fast enough to get more than one sunder off on most trash. Prot doesn't have thunder clap, so really no way to hold group aggro other than maybe tab sundering.

The tool kit is most of the problem. It's not only "no heirlooms," it's the fact that the gear you do find early on often has no stats or the stats are just misallocated. A warrior doesn't need +4 spirit instead of strength and +agility is nowhere nearly as useful as +crit. With no spellpower, the caster can't really increase the damage of their spells until the next rank.

Agreed on the costs. I spent about 1.5g training at 20. Dual-wield was 40s. That's a lot of money at that level.

I started vanilla in summer of 2005. By then, there were cheap greens and stuff on the AH, so you had something better than quest gear, but classic is essentially day one.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
What gets me is that even simple QoL changes like more graveyards weren't implemented.

I think there are two graveyards in the entire Barrens. I died in the northeast part last week, and I think the run back was like 1800 yards. A ~1500 yd. run back takes around three to four minutes, then if you respawn in an area with mobs, the odds are high that you die again. I'm arms, but even with the WC quest sword (which is better than most 2H at 18-20) and L20 warrior shield, still can't pull more than one mob. When tanking, I can't generate rage fast enough to get more than one sunder off on most trash. Prot doesn't have thunder clap, so really no way to hold group aggro other than maybe tab sundering.

The tool kit is most of the problem. It's not only "no heirlooms," it's the fact that the gear you do find early on often has no stats or the stats are just misallocated. A warrior doesn't need +4 spirit instead of strength and +agility is nowhere nearly as useful as +crit. With no spellpower, the caster can't really increase the damage of their spells until the next rank.

Agreed on the costs. I spent about 1.5g training at 20. Dual-wield was 40s. That's a lot of money at that level.

I started vanilla in summer of 2005. By then, there were cheap greens and stuff on the AH, so you had something better than quest gear, but classic is essentially day one.
Ever notice how it's "classic" and not everything that was vanilla? I think Activision-Blizzard held back on some of the old features and added in more BS to make people quit classic. Seriously, do you even remember skills costing as much as they do in classic, green quality drops in the open being super sparse compared to vanilla, jack squat for gear at the auction house, the huge PITA it is to take down mobs 1 or 2 levels higher, and seeing a serious lack of mineral nodes to mine?

My very first toon was a skullet wearing human warrior of Shadowsong. He was a 2h DPS warrior primarily specced in the arms tree. I could tank when needed, but it was with a 2h weapon. I needed at least one dedicated healer on me. Luckily the healers I knew IRL were down to back me up in instances. I've been booted from numerous parties for out-DPS'ing the hunters and rogues who were in tier 1 and 2 gear. It hurt their ego.

Just before being booted. Ranked 1 in DPS

One of the few times seeing Ragnaros

Old 09-05-2019, 01:58 PM

167 posts, read 190,538 times
I would love to give it a go. I didn't play during vanilla classic, I only played during Wotlk around 2009. Few problems, though:

1: I'm now a dad in my 30s.
2: Working full time and taking classes.
3: Recently picked up Old School Runescape.

All those amount to I just don't have the time to invest in it like I would like to. These types of games, to me, demand a lot of attention. I don't want to just log in for 15 minutes before going to bed but I actually want to sit uninterrupted for 2-3 hours.
Perhaps if/when I get bored of OSRS I'll try it out.
One of the biggest dilemmas of my life is that I hate how much time I "wasted" playing games and doing nothing else yet I sorely wish I could go back to that

Old 10-12-2019, 10:46 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I didn't start playing WoW until the end of Warlords of Draenor, so I never got the original vanilla grinding experience. I'm stuck on about level 32 on Classic because it's just so time consuming and grindy. I was out sick one day last week and spent most of the day watching TV while I killed what seemed like hundreds of mobs for a really low drop rate and only went up a level. While I like having some of the original elements as well as the storytelling that I missed out on leveling so late in the series, I just find the whole process boring and not sure that I'll stick it out for the end-game PVP that I really would like to be doing. The classic experience justifies why I wouldn't get into WoW in the first place even when I was in high school when it first came out: it's just so time consuming.

It also doesn't help that the group I do world PVP in retail (any other Cryptids League/Anduin Knights people here?) rolled on Faerlina so by the time I get home from work and have my hour or two to blow off steam, the queues are at least an hour and a half long. Not much fun. I also always favor healer classes (main a mistweaver monk) so the amount of times I die and then spend 5 minutes running back as a holy priest is just frustrating.

I still enjoy elements of retail, like RBGS, WPVP, and raiding with my guild (mostly 30+ with master's degrees and even a few PhD level professors... plus some of their teenage kids), but I've never enjoyed the dungeon or questing elements of WoW. That's magnified now even more that I have been trying out FF14 and the storytelling drive of the questing is so much tighter and well thought out.

It plays much more nicely on my laptop than retail WoW so I'll probably still pick away at it while watching TV on my couch, but it's not a priority in my gaming life (which isn't really a huge priority anyway!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games