Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 11:38 AM

31 posts, read 17,888 times

Advertisements

This is something that "Mega Man 3" fans don't seem to think acknowledge that much, but it has always seemed like a very clever design to me.
The MM2 bosses aren't just randomly scattered around the Doc stages, there is a very specific thought process behind it which is definitely not a coincidence.

Metal Man and Quick Man show up on Spark Man's stage;
this stage has cogwheels and machinery in the background, just like Metal Man's own stage, and it is also full of rapidly blinking lights, which are fitting for Quick Man since they kind of create a sense of urgency.

Air Man and Crash Man show up on Needle Man's stage;
this stage has a sort of high-altitude feel to it (since you climb ladders a lot), and it also takes place during the night.
Air Man's stage obviously takes place at a high altitude, and Crash Man's stage ends with a starry night sky.

Flash Man and Bubble Man show up on Gemini Man's stage, which has a lot of blinking, often bluish environments, which is obviously fitting for Flash Man.
This stage also has significant water sections, as well as tadpoles, which is a very fitting theme for Bubble Man.

Wood Man and Heat Man show up on Shadow Man's stage;
Shadow Man is a type of ninja, and Japanese media often has ninjas leave pieces of wood behind when they disappear in smoke (as a kind of temporary distraction), which makes sense for Wood Man (and the whole stage also has a wooden colour).
And the red lava-like streams in the background make a lot of sense for Heat Man.

This isn't just pure trivia either - it is actually very helpful for remembering where each boss is located.

It is kind of a shame that MM1 only had 6 bosses - otherwise they could have put bosses from that game on the other 4 unused MM3 stages.
I would imagine that Guts Man would be put on Hard Man's stage due to their similar rocky environments, and Elec Man would probably end up on Magnet Man's stage due to the somewhat mechanical nature of that stage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 01:58 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,410,524 times
Thanks for the timely and relevant post. MM3 was released 30 years ago. No one cares about it now or are interested in it.;

Old 02-03-2020, 10:14 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Thanks for the timely and relevant post. MM3 was released 30 years ago. No one cares about it now or are interested in it.;
...what a snobby reply you just coughed up.

I think I'll go play some Mega Man 3 out of spite.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:43 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
NES classic and SNES classic. 'nuff said.

Not being interested does not jive with replying with a post saying you're not interested in it. Just sayin...

Chill man, videogames covers the spectrum from pong to PS5/XSX.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:15 AM

31 posts, read 17,888 times
I mostly mentioned this because I thought that it was a very original idea, and it doesn't seem to be brought up that much.
I guess that the most likely situation when people become consciously aware of this is when they get to the whole water section on Doc Gemini Man's stage, since it is so obvious that it is like a preparation for Bubble Man.
But I also like how the other stages seem to fit the other MM2 bosses so well.

I wonder where the MM2 bosses would have appeared if the other stages were used as Doc levels instead;
I would assume that Wood Man would probably appear on Hard Man's stage due to their similar wilderness settings with the monkeys etc, and Flash Man would have probably appeared on Top Man's stage because of the flashing lamps in the background.
And I guess that Metal Man would have appeared on Magnet Man's stage because of the somewhat metallic and mechanical nature of that stage (Metal Man's stage has a bit of a metal/machinery vibe to it).

Kinda nerdy speculations I guess, but that's what happens when you are an introverted and passionate gamer, hah - lots of deep thoughts about all kinds of things.

Old 02-05-2020, 08:28 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,464 times
The Rebuilt Quick Man was a wall because:

1) He was bigger, therefore harder to jump over.

2) Rebuilt bosses contact damage was brutal.

3) Quick Man's weakness was the Gemini Laser, which if you miss you CAN'T access the menu for E-Tanks until it disappears.

The only way I can reliably beat him, even now, is abusing I-frames by running into his boomerangs ...on purpose...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games