Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2020, 04:02 AM

3 posts, read 912 times

Advertisements

Seem's games stopped working for me like what happens when you drink lot of alcohol with time it will not be as fun.

And I literally join good games and I quit them instantly... That's why I would like to make my own game. But how to?

The genre I've picked is RPG simply because role playing games are beasts... But Im not sure how to start. Does anyone know what should be my first step?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 05:52 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevianadr View Post
Seem's games stopped working for me like what happens when you drink lot of alcohol with time it will not be as fun.

And I literally join good games and I quit them instantly... That's why I would like to make my own game. But how to?

The genre I've picked is RPG simply because role playing games are beasts... But Im not sure how to start. Does anyone know what should be my first step?
How many years experience do you have as a software developer?

You're going to need 4-5 years in both intermediate and low level programming. So you'll need C++ and Java/C#, maybe Unity (it's free to develop with, but has licensing fees for distribution), or Unreal.

If you don't have this, that's your starting point.

Old 02-07-2020, 01:08 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevianadr View Post

How old are you? I ask because if this is really what you want to do, there are programs in college that could help you. But, it depends on what you want to do. I know a lot of engineers/developers/producers who work at Activision, Riot, Insomniac (now Sony), Treyarch and Blizzard who all went to school specifically for this. Most, went through the program at USC (I dont remember what its called) so your math skills need to be totally on point. Or, you can pursue the artistic route. Instead of being a developer/engineer you could do design, but you'll still need experience with the programs Gungnir mentioned.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:42 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
How old are you? I ask because if this is really what you want to do, there are programs in college that could help you. But, it depends on what you want to do. I know a lot of engineers/developers/producers who work at Activision, Riot, Insomniac (now Sony), Treyarch and Blizzard who all went to school specifically for this. Most, went through the program at USC (I dont remember what its called) so your math skills need to be totally on point. Or, you can pursue the artistic route. Instead of being a developer/engineer you could do design, but you'll still need experience with the programs Gungnir mentioned.
USC has majors in Interactive Entertainment (BA), Computer Science (Gaming) which is better aligned with games. Not sure how effective these are, since it typically takes 5-10 years to incorporate tools and languages into degree programs, and in 5-10 years you can have one or two full hardware generations, a couple of full version tool updates and innumerate point releases. Scary though it seems it's only in the past decade games have become fully multi threaded, many Xbox 360 and PS3 games were effectively single threaded, with maybe some simple threading handling some of the interrupts like the Xbox/PS buttons. The graphics were distributed across GPU cores, often in a different process, but the actual games were pretty simple from a concurrency perspective.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:45 PM

15,834 posts, read 6,539,575 times
There are some game engines with module-building toolsets -- I'd try one of those to see if you enjoy it. You can learn a lot just from seeing how they work, and perhaps you can make an adventure for others to enjoy. For example, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun Returns, and the upcoming Realms Beyond. Older games also have some well-established toolsets: NWN, NWN2, and Dragon Age: Origins. I'm sure there are others. Beyond that, I'd have a look at Unity and train up your coding skills, or focus on graphics or animation.

Old 03-10-2020, 04:43 AM

10 posts, read 2,438 times
My two cents: you can try things like RPG Game maker if you're into JRPGs. Ever heard about To the Moon? It was made with this toolset.

Old 03-13-2020, 09:55 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
To really make an RPG, it's going to take a lot of technical skills on top of a wonderful imagination. You can't teach the imagination part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games