Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2020, 02:23 PM

1,378 posts, read 734,003 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of buying a ps3 and I know that the games in the PS store are different than the ps4. Not sure why that is, but I have been wanting to play some of the old school final fantasy. I thought mobile would work, but square enix totally messed up those games. What do I need to be able to buy games from the play station store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 12:05 PM

540 posts, read 1,093,355 times
Which games are you looking to play? If it's the PS1 Final Fantasy games, you can get a PlayStation Classic for $20, which has FF7 on it, and it's very easy to add more games.

Otherwise you would just need to set up a PSN (PlayStation Network) ID and password and then either add a credit/debit card or add money via a PSN card that you can get from Amazon or other retailers. The PlayStation Store icon on a PS3 will direct you through all of it.

Old 06-18-2020, 12:16 PM

86 posts, read 36,651 times
Here is a forgotten tidbit: All PS3 systems can play physical versions of PSOne Games. So, it may be easier, depending on your location and the availability of used-game stores, to actually get the physical versions of all the original remakes and original releases FF1-9 that way.

However, all you need to go online is a high-speed internet connection and a credit card. Going online is free, but purchasing games from the PSN store will require either a major credit card or a prepaid PSN card you can get from most major retailers like Walmart or game shops like GameStop.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:56 PM

14,709 posts, read 8,034,142 times
Yes, all you need is an internet connection and a credit card...or a prepaid PSN Card...but, you can also pay with paypal, that is usually what we do.
Sony had been hacked a few times, so I feel better using paypal

Old 06-26-2020, 11:19 PM

34,938 posts, read 31,079,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Danneskjold View Post
Here is a forgotten tidbit: All PS3 systems can play physical versions of PSOne Games. So, it may be easier, depending on your location and the availability of used-game stores, to actually get the physical versions of all the original remakes and original releases FF1-9 that way.

However, all you need to go online is a high-speed internet connection and a credit card. Going online is free, but purchasing games from the PSN store will require either a major credit card or a prepaid PSN card you can get from most major retailers like Walmart or game shops like GameStop.
I wouldn't necessarily say that about anything other than really budget PSX games.

I just fired up my PS3. It is connected to the internet. Most of the PSX classics that are available are <$10. For many games, especially the big titles back then, it would be hard to find discs for that price. With discs, you also have to deal with the issues of ~20-year-old disc degradation.

These days, your problem will be finding decent PS3 controllers whose batteries don't wear out. Most of the offbrand imports I've had have been terrible.

My original FFVIII disc set, bought at release day at Gamestop (I remember it and was ~12-13 then, I'm now 34) wore out on disc 3 a couple years ago. It kept repeatedly skipping on a certain spot. Nothing I could do to get past it. I just keep it in my shelf as a memoir. I have tons of JRPG discs from that era that I haven't even tried launching. I have no idea if my original Xenogears, SaGa Frontier 1/2, Ehrgeiz, Brave Fencer Mushashi, Parasite Eve, etc., discs even launch. The only one I have played recently is Brigandine.

If possible, I'd get a remaster of whatever it is on a more modern console. FFVIII had a remaster on Xbox One that didn't get much notoriety, but was a huge improvement over the disc-based original.

Old 06-27-2020, 05:49 PM

1,378 posts, read 734,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Danneskjold View Post

I thought only the 12 gb and 20gb versions played ps1 games.

Old 06-27-2020, 06:08 PM

86 posts, read 36,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
I thought only the 12 gb and 20gb versions played ps1 games.
No. The 60 GB launch edition played all PSOne, PS2 and PS3 games. I still have mine in the back room. It was later versions that took out the PS2 playability, but you still could play PSOne games. My 500 GB Slim plays all of my PSOne games without issue...and actually helps to smooth out the "jaggies."

Yes I realize it's wikipedia, but it is accurate...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_models
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games