Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:46 PM

822 posts, read 2,203,463 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I hope today is treating you well. What games do you all know of that have an actual real world city's layout in the playable game? Some examples I know of are The Getaway. I drove the city of London and looked at some of the places we visited on vacation there. Another is the Spiderman games that have Manhattan. What are some others that have an actual city layout built into the game? Thx my fellow game lovers and have a good day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:56 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
Rush 2 had a fairly accurate layout of Vegas and some other cities.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,113,345 times
Fallout3 has a condensed version of Downtown DC and the surrounding MD and VA suburbs.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:07 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Saboteur - Paris and the surrounding countryside and other small cities. You'd better enjoy driving...

Old 08-10-2013, 09:01 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,486,206 times
I think Watch Dogs will.

Watch Dogs

Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 AM

462 posts, read 720,726 times
The Assassin's Creed series has Medieval Rome, Florence, Jerusalem, Damascus, and Venice, plus Colonial Boston and New York. AFAIK these are historically accurate.

GTA IV's Liberty City is much smaller than the actual NYC, but I think the Algonquin borough gets pretty close to the Manhattan feel in a smaller area.

Godfather had a pretty large-scale 1940s Manhattan, but you could only travel on certain streets.

LA Noire is a very accurate late 1940s Los Angeles, stretching from downtown to Hollywood.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:26 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
True Crime streets of LA
Spoiler

I remember driving in the game from Downtown to Marina del rey and it seemed like it took forever!

Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,918,406 times
True Crimes-Streets of LA and New York City

I still occasionally play Streets of LA simply because of the fact that the streets in Los Angeles in the game are marked exactly like their real life counterparts, even though the game is almost 10 years old and the driving mechanics are awful [even compared to the PS2 GTA's]. I still think this is the biggest free-roam game of all time, it takes forever to drive from one side of the city to the other, even if you take a freeway and use a really fast car. In fact, thanks to this game, I not only know the street layout of NYC like a map, but Los Angeles too, even though I have never been there.

True Crime NYC only did Manhattan, which given the street layout of the borough, makes it a little boring to drive around [I wish they did Queens instead]. Also, the game has a ton of glitches and bugs that border on making the game unplayable [the game can even complete freeze sometimes]. The graphics were also pretty bad. The city was always extremely dark with grey and black textures everywhere, and the cars are super bright.

Here is True Crime NYC:
True Crime New York City, The Size of the City, Part 1 - YouTube

Last edited by DoomDan515; 08-16-2013 at 10:51 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 01:00 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,828,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Rush 2 had a fairly accurate layout of Vegas and some other cities.
Awe Rush 2 was great! Stunt mode or whatever it was called was such an awesome waste of time!!! Anyway yea, had some good city layouts as tracks.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,956,558 times
The Microsoft Midtown Madness Games: Chicago for the first release, San Francisco & London for the second. They tend to have fairly accurate layouts, though quite abstract. For example, in the Chicago loop, there are two fewer north-south and east-west streets inside the loop, Michigan avenue "shifts" a block west north of the Chicago River, you skip South Loop and head right to Chinatown, you reach the Kennedy expressway just two blocks west of the Chicago River, and River North quickly transitions into an irregular Wrigleyville. San Francisco contains Lombard Street, Columbus Avenue, Market Street, the Embarcdero, and contains mostly a grid pattern with some skipped streets, but still feels like a nice miniature version of the original.

Crazy Taxi is a bit less accurate, especially the second game with NYC where it just seems like you hit a dead end or go in circles; I actually felt that the Brooklyn in that game was more realistic.

Last edited by Borntoolate85; 09-03-2013 at 10:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games