Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 07:34 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,089,796 times

Advertisements

A big issue with PlayStation 3's now is that official controllers in good condition are VERY expensive and that's because good third-party options don't really exist. You can use PS4 and PS5 controllers on the PS3 but they're not compatible with every game and the Home button functionality doesn't work with either. Ironically, a big part of the PS3's obsolescence may boil down to the fact that it's smarter to invest in a newer console than pay $100 for an official PlayStation 3 controller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 01:45 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
would have gotten a ps5 if it was backwards compatible with ps1 and ps2.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:35 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Mine's been a blu ray player for awhile since I went back to PC.

Old 12-12-2020, 12:42 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I've heard that most third-party PS3 controllers are garbage. Also heard that PS3 online is plagued with hackers.
I can confirm this.

My original controllers have long since bitten the dust. I bought two off Amazon. The off-brand ones don’t even charge properly and might hold a 30 minute charge.

I keep the thing in my office as a BluRay player. With no remote, it’s not even effective for that. Once I get a Series X, the One X will be demoted to the office. I have a 360 with a working controller, but only used it a few times since I moved into the house

Old 12-12-2020, 03:02 PM

I've walked in a bunch of stores lately and found plenty of PS5 DualSense controllers on shelves even though the consoles themselves are as rare as hen's teeth. That's why I believe it makes good business sense for Sony to patch in DualSense support for both the PS3 and PS4. Especially when you consider that peripherals like controllers often bring in much more profit than do the actual consoles. Sony has sold what, almost 200 million PS3 and PS4 consoles combined so that represents a HUGE market of potential DS5 controller sales. Also, many of the people who buy those controllers would be likely to want them to be their 2nd PS5 controller eventually.

Old 03-31-2021, 12:13 PM

Even though it's been rumored for a while, this news is still causing shockwaves.

PlayStation Store Shut Down Dates for PS3, PS Vita, and PSP Officially Announced

Quote:
Sony has confirmed that it will be shutting down the PlayStation Store for PlayStation 3 and PSP on July 2, 2021, and the PSN Store for the Vita on August 27, 2021. This is according to an email sent out to PlayStation customers, including IGN staffers.

According to a PlayStation Support blog, customers will still be able to re-download and play previously purchased games and video, and still redeem games and PlayStation Plus vouchers.

However, new PS3, Vita, and PSP purchases will cease, and players can no longer make in-game purchases or redeem PSN wallet funds on PS3, Vita, or PSP once the stores close.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:18 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Even though it's been rumored for a while, this news is still causing shockwaves.

PlayStation Store Shut Down Dates for PS3, PS Vita, and PSP Officially Announced
This is the only legal way I've found to play PSX games like Xenogears that weren't made available in the PS4 store. I guess I had better load up before the store shuts down. Many of these games are seeing a rerelease virtually on Switch, but many will not.

I can't imagine leaving the store online would have been much hassle to Sony.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:49 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Related, this doesn't sound like it's good for Sony...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...station-empire

I'm pretty pessimistic over the current leadership direction if this proves to be accurate. While I'm no fanboy of Sony, having competition can only benefit the consumer. If Sony is focused on blockbusters, they're going to alienate Japan. Further being strongly risk averse leads to things like Assassins Creed, AC is good, but, Ubi needs new IPs, and to refresh the brand, not just provide similar gameplay in different time periods. I could see Sony going down that path its not like 2021 is going to be a stand out year any more for Sony's first party output (not that PS5 exclusive release titles were much to write home about, one oversized DLC, a tech demo, and an average title)

Then again, we've been here before, in the PS3 generation they similarly lost focus. Let's hope they regain it fast, because Xbox has in 2021 stolen several steps on Sony.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:09 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Related, this doesn't sound like it's good for Sony...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...station-empire

I'm pretty pessimistic over the current leadership direction if this proves to be accurate. While I'm no fanboy of Sony, having competition can only benefit the consumer. If Sony is focused on blockbusters, they're going to alienate Japan. Further being strongly risk averse leads to things like Assassins Creed, AC is good, but, Ubi needs new IPs, and to refresh the brand, not just provide similar gameplay in different time periods. I could see Sony going down that path its not like 2021 is going to be a stand out year any more for Sony's first party output (not that PS5 exclusive release titles were much to write home about, one oversized DLC, a tech demo, and an average title)

Then again, we've been here before, in the PS3 generation they similarly lost focus. Let's hope they regain it fast, because Xbox has in 2021 stolen several steps on Sony.
They've been drifting away from Japan for years, unfortunately. Even though consoles in general are losing out there to handheld/mobile, Nintendo is still popular and the Switch accounted for 87% of Japanese console sales last year.
https://www.ign.com/articles/nintend...-japan-in-2020

For all intents and purposes, PlayStation is dead in Japan, even though Japanese RPGs and other Japanese-developed games have been a cornerstone for the console since its inception. So you're right, things aren't looking good right now.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:23 PM

608 posts, read 239,433 times
...damn shame, but nothing lasts forever. I like PS3, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and NV, and a few others besides, since 2008. I'm gonna keep it and, physical media running as long as I can.

I hope purchased DLC and downloaded games still work if they were installed in the console. I know I might not be able to downlaod them again later but, will the stuff I currently have remain?

An aside, I have a PS1 mini, with that fliptop screen thing from 2008, and PS1 games, memory cards and, a control from 1997 that all still work like new. I still fire up Breath of Fire IV every so often for how crisp the sprite graphics looked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games