Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 08:02 AM

3,932 posts, read 5,060,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
I hope purchased DLC and downloaded games still work if they were installed in the console. I know I might not be able to downlaod them again later but, will the stuff I currently have remain?
Nothing that's stored on your console should be removed.

Quote:
An aside, I have a PS1 mini, with that fliptop screen thing from 2008, and PS1 games, memory cards and, a control from 1997 that all still work like new. I still fire up Breath of Fire IV every so often for how crisp the sprite graphics looked.
Yes, sprite based graphics have held up surprisingly well. It's really the early 3D stuff that looks horrible on modern televisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 10:46 PM

34,805 posts, read 30,852,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
They've been drifting away from Japan for years, unfortunately. Even though consoles in general are losing out there to handheld/mobile, Nintendo is still popular and the Switch accounted for 87% of Japanese console sales last year.
https://www.ign.com/articles/nintend...-japan-in-2020

For all intents and purposes, PlayStation is dead in Japan, even though Japanese RPGs and other Japanese-developed games have been a cornerstone for the console since its inception. So you're right, things aren't looking good right now.
One thing that has gotten my attention over the last generation is how quickly the traditional JRPG market basically folded to Nintendo.

Back in the PSX era, I was a big fan of a strategy RPG called Brigandine. It was a cult hit in the grain of Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics.

I heard there was a sequel to that game around this time last year, and that this sequel was a Switch exclusive. I actually bought a Switch just for that game. Since then, I've gone through hundreds of hours of Brigandine, Bravely Default II, Xenoblade, and mostly JRPG exclusives.

I played FFVII Remake, then Dragon Quest XI on my PS4 Pro last year. DQ is now available via Game Pass on my Series X. Octopath Traveler, which I haven't played, is on my Series X now. I use the Switch for the exclusive JRPG stuff, Series X for everything else, and PS4 has been overflow for quite awhile. I'm not interested in PS5 as things stand.

Old 04-20-2021, 01:50 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,231,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
I hope purchased DLC and downloaded games still work if they were installed in the console. I know I might not be able to downlaod them again later but, will the stuff I currently have remain?
While Sony have reversed the direction on the PS3 store (in a surprise move of bowing to consumer pressure) I think that addressing the above is pretty important anyway.

I honestly don't know whether Sonys PS Store would allow redownloafing that said it should. You bought and paid for the use of that content, the actual physical size on a server in a data center is insignificant in cost and servicing (like pennies a month). The counter position would mean that digital sales and physical sales are different, one is a long term lease until the lessor chooses to withdraw access, the other you have content until the media wears out, and even then many will provide replacement disks for a nominal fee.

Not permitting recovery of content is the biggest issue facing digital sales. It would be incredibly short sighted to play into this issue rather than resolve it. That said it is Sony, and as I said in a surprise move they bowed to consumer pressure, once.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:13 AM

Here's the headline for those who might have missed it.

PS3, PS Vita Stores Will Not Be Closing As Sony Backtracks On Controversial Decision
Quote:
Sony has reversed course on a controversial move, stating that it now plans to continue supporting purchasing functionality for the PS Vita and PS3 after previously planning to shut down the stores this summer. The PSP will still be closed as planned.
Regardless, the PlayStation 3 is ancient tech at this point and remains relevant largely because the PlayStation 5 doesn't offer a solution for playing exclusive PS3 software. I only keep a PS3 around because I use it to play PlayStation 1 software on an LCD TV but the graphical results vary by title. That is to say that my 2D sprite based games look pretty nice but 3D stuff like Tekken 3 not so much. I don't even use my PS3 as a Blu-Ray player since my PS4 can do that although in all honesty, nowadays I mostly stream video content on my 4k Samsung Q80R.

Old 06-29-2021, 04:12 PM

572 posts, read 316,985 times
The companies do the business with constantly upgrading and removing benefits for older ones so the consumers buy the new ones. Just like Xbox. The new games are only compatible with the latest version.

Old 07-01-2021, 02:59 PM

536 posts, read 604,913 times
Dead? Who knows.

I still love my snes....and genesis, PSX, Dreamcast and ps2.

Best five consoles ever. Take your PS5, not interested. I am content with those 5 and a few portables (psp, DS and GBA)

Old 07-02-2021, 07:25 AM

Ironically, I've been playing Crash Team Racing (PS1) quite a bit on my PlayStation 3 lately. I downloaded it from the PlayStation Store to avoid taking the chance of scratching my original black label disc.

So yeah... the PS3 is still alive and well in my house but primarily as a PS1 game machine.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:09 AM

536 posts, read 604,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is the only legal way I've found to play PSX games like Xenogears
If you own the game you can use an emulator on a PC or laptop to play the game.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:32 PM

34,805 posts, read 30,852,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
If you own the game you can use an emulator on a PC or laptop to play the game.
FWIW, my PS3's PSU bit the dust over the summer. I no longer have a physical copy of most PSX games I ever owned - I have less than five now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games