Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: The decade you like the most
1980 or before 1 2.50%
1981-1990 16 40.00%
1991-2000 11 27.50%
2001-2010 7 17.50%
2011-2020 5 12.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2021, 04:52 AM
 
11 posts, read 5,252 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

2000 - Diablo II
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2021, 01:25 PM
 
5,428 posts, read 3,542,891 times
Reputation: 5031
It’s an interesting question and one ove pondered for a long time. I wasn’t able to come to a conclusion. A lot of classic games from the 80’s and 90’s, while iconic for their time, haven’t aged well. I will say though, that I’m not surprised to see the 90’s taking the lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2021, 01:47 AM
 
572 posts, read 332,952 times
Reputation: 345
Gaming on the XBOX one is the best experience i had. I have been playing games since 1989 and gone through all the gaming experiences since then. Last decade is my favorite one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2021, 02:17 PM
 
5,428 posts, read 3,542,891 times
Reputation: 5031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolair View Post
Gaming on the XBOX one is the best experience i had. I have been playing games since 1989 and gone through all the gaming experiences since then. Last decade is my favorite one.
I’ve grown to love the Xbox as well, despite it having fewer exclusives than the PS. The controller is great, the online experience is the most robust one on consoles and the UI has turned out to be quite intuitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2021, 08:59 PM
 
3,955 posts, read 5,116,608 times
Reputation: 2584
I don't think the 90's had the best video games per se but rather we all just felt like anything was possible with respect to tech back then. For example, Nintendo had many of us believing that the N64 was going to be powerful enough to render Killer Instinct level graphics in real-time rather than as pre-rendered sprites. When the console finally launched - it was nowhere near that powerful but what it was able to accomplish was still fairly impressive. Games like Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 did somewhat feel like we were peering into the future. Guess it was just the thrill of gaming during that era that made the 90's so great. That and the fact that consoles of that vintage were generally geared towards local multiplayer, which is intrinsically more fun, that many of us hold those halcyon days in such high regard.

Here are some games in no particular order that I feel make the 90's a standout time for video games.

1999 Unreal Tournament (PC)
1991 Street Fighter II (Arcade)
1997 Armored Core (PS1)
1999 Super Smash Bros. (N64)
1998 Starsiege: Tribes (PC)
1997 GoldenEye 007 (N64)
1992 Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2021, 12:30 AM
 
5,428 posts, read 3,542,891 times
Reputation: 5031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I don't think the 90's had the best video games per se but rather we all just felt like anything was possible with respect to tech back then. For example, Nintendo had many of us believing that the N64 was going to be powerful enough to render Killer Instinct level graphics in real-time rather than as pre-rendered sprites. When the console finally launched - it was nowhere near that powerful but what it was able to accomplish was still fairly impressive. Games like Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 did somewhat feel like we were peering into the future. Guess it was just the thrill of gaming during that era that made the 90's so great. That and the fact that consoles of that vintage were generally geared towards local multiplayer, which is intrinsically more fun, that many of us hold those halcyon days in such high regard.

Here are some games in no particular order that I feel make the 90's a standout time for video games.

1999 Unreal Tournament (PC)
1991 Street Fighter II (Arcade)
1997 Armored Core (PS1)
1999 Super Smash Bros. (N64)
1998 Starsiege: Tribes (PC)
1997 GoldenEye 007 (N64)
1992 Super Mario Kart (SNES)
The jump to 3D was a big deal back then, as there was a lot of concern over whether established franchises like Mario and Zelda could make the switch, while still keeping gameplay intact. They were of course very successful, but if you go back and try to play Super Mario 64 or Zelda: Ocarina of Time, it becomes apparent that certain aspects of the gameplay haven’t aged well, despite the games being classics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2021, 03:20 PM
 
3,955 posts, read 5,116,608 times
Reputation: 2584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The jump to 3D was a big deal back then, as there was a lot of concern over whether established franchises like Mario and Zelda could make the switch, while still keeping gameplay intact. They were of course very successful, but if you go back and try to play Super Mario 64 or Zelda: Ocarina of Time, it becomes apparent that certain aspects of the gameplay haven’t aged well, despite the games being classics.
Yeah many early 3D games haven't held up too. Interesting because lots of sprite based 2D games that are even older remain extremely playable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2021, 03:28 PM
 
166 posts, read 92,060 times
Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jess.w View Post
2000 - Diablo II
100% this isn’t even a debate. Warcraft, Starcraft and diablo 2. I hear diablo 2 is getting a remaster finally. I still play diablo 2 to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2021, 02:54 PM
 
5,428 posts, read 3,542,891 times
Reputation: 5031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Yeah many early 3D games haven't held up too. Interesting because lots of sprite based 2D games that are even older remain extremely playable.
That’s because the 2D games were very straightforward by comparison. Movement was limited to 4 directions (left, right, up, down) and the camera was mostly static. With 3D games, you’ve got to account for 360 degrees of movement and contend with alternating cameras, which were very awkward in the early days. It took time for developers to finally figure out, how to implement those mechanics successfully in their games. Then you also had to contend with frame rate drops, which were a lot more prominent in 3D games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2021, 11:15 PM
 
Location: Etobicoke
1,609 posts, read 917,104 times
Reputation: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
It’s an interesting question and one ove pondered for a long time. I wasn’t able to come to a conclusion. A lot of classic games from the 80’s and 90’s, while iconic for their time, haven’t aged well. I will say though, that I’m not surprised to see the 90’s taking the lead.
I think Phantasy Star (original) has aged superbly. still my favorite 8-bit game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top