Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 12:53 PM

1,544 posts, read 870,399 times

Advertisements

The latest release game I have in disc format is Zelda Breath of the Wild for Wii U. Since then the most recent releases I got were for PC - digital downloads from Steam. There's no other choice for new releases in PC these days. I do have nostalgia for physical copies, their artworks on disc and box and the instruction booklets. Now instruction manuals are a thing of the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2021, 05:57 PM

572 posts, read 325,611 times
Time has been changed. with new devices like new versions of playstation and xbox they only release the game for new versions that can not be played on older xbox. They compel people to buy their new product,

Old 04-28-2021, 06:43 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,191,424 times
Console - yes
PC - no. I wouldn't mind have physical copies of PC games, but with games size I will be switching out 20 discs while it installs.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:59 PM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
They still sell physical copies of games? Just kidding. But actually, like Cool said above - times have changed. I'd say physical copies of games have about another year (two max) left before they go the way of the game cartridge and floppy disk.

Old 04-28-2021, 08:58 PM

608 posts, read 239,433 times
Yes. I prefer it actually.

However, if I download something to a USB drive, and it stays mine -without- being connected to the internet or paying a recurring fee, ...that is tolerable. A lot of indie games do this, think Axiom Verge or Shovel Knight. That's fine.

However, digital only content that you can't really own, like most MMOs or ...Simcity 4... NO!

Old 04-29-2021, 12:08 AM

20,651 posts, read 4,425,411 times
I prefer the physical discs over digital download.

What ticks me off is the "games" being sold stripped down. Then you are forced to pay for DLC that was in the main game, but they want you to pay more for. That is complete BS.

I've gotten many of the free games offered by Steam, EpicGames, GOG, Ubisoft, etc. Some are decent, while many others stink. But I don't lose money on them.

Old 04-29-2021, 06:28 AM

4,667 posts, read 3,862,590 times
I prefer physical copies mainly due to money which is why I plan to buy a PS5 disc version. (Also it can play blu-rays.)

- I sell old games to a local game store who gives cash for them. Payment's actually pretty decent, & I'm usually surprised for what they give. I think it's worth the time & effort.

- Used games on amazon are so cheap. A lot of new games that start at $60 drop to $30 used in only about a month to 6 weeks. I remember The Last of Us 2 used market was flooded shortly after release & I got it for half what people were paying at release. Now some games (God of War) take forever to drop though. Pretty much any Ubisoft game price drops quickly.

Main advantage for digital downloads I think is that you can buy it & play it that day, but my internet's so slow if I buy it Monday evening, it won't be ready until Tue anyways. Amazon sends a lot of used games with 2 day shipping so really I'm only saving 1 day.

Only downfall to discs is when the kids are in bed & I finally get to sit down on the couch, I get the "please insert disc" notification. Then I have to search the living room because one of the little ones likes to hit the eject button & use the disc as a frisbee.

Old 05-06-2021, 02:08 PM

540 posts, read 1,096,726 times
Not as much any more. My wife will get me a couple of games a year for Christmas and sometimes I will pick up one at Target or GameStop if the game is cheap (I got Watch Dogs 2 for $5 at Target on clearance). Most games I do purchase are digital now though. I primarily play retro stuff, like the Arcade Archives series, which aren't sold physically, otherwise I wait for sales to get PS4 games for a lot less.

Old 05-07-2021, 10:27 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Digital, mostly on Steam sales when they're dirt cheap. Full price for the occasional one I'm really interested in.

Does anyone really buy pc game physical copies anymore?

Xbox hasn't been doing much but collect dust lately. But now I would prefer digital there too. Pretty much only digital downloads on our Switch aside from things like Ring Fit Adventure since it came with physical peripherals as well.

Old 05-12-2021, 10:31 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
For holidays only I will ask for a game and someone will get me one. The last one didn't even have a disc. Just a disc shaped box with a code.
At first I was anti digital, but then I built a new computer. Logged into Steam. A few clicks later the games I wanted were downloading. (Took DAYS to get them all but...lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games