Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 07:38 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times

Advertisements

Waiting in the EVGA queue for over 10 months and I finally got the 'opportunity' to buy a new card.
It wasn't the one I wanted, a base model 3070. But I decided to pull the trigger anyway since I waited so long.
After confirming it would fit in my PC, I paid the $830 retail price for an EVGA 3070 Ti FTW.
Installed. Working great.
Sold my prior card for $600.
Cyberpunk 2077 is on sale currently and this is supposed to be a game that really shines with a high end card.
Wow. I am so glad I waited. This game is GORGEOUS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2022, 10:56 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,417,700 times
Its nice to see prices coming down on GPUs. That, and many of them seem to also be in stock for quick delivery.

You got a good price on that card.

Im thinking of maybe building out a new pc and this may be time. My EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC is going strong, but my current system other than the gpu and psu are nearing 10 years old.

My current MOB is an ASUS Maximus VII Formula which is DDR3 and LGA 1150. I can just swap mother board, chip and memory and be done. Maybe give the 13 year old my RTX 2070 for her VR and get a new card myself. Hmmmmmm.....now you've got me thinking.........

Old 02-04-2022, 12:55 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Congratulations.

There was a point where PC gaming, though more expensive, was much more competitive economically against console gaming. That has totally flipped around.

That graphics board itself is far more expensive than a Series X or PS5 at retail. I paid retail for both of my consoles. By the time you build the entire rig, with a nice gaming monitor, you're likely looking at well over $2,000.

PC gaming, at least at the semi high-end, is getting way out of reach for the average budget.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Congratulations.

There was a point where PC gaming, though more expensive, was much more competitive economically against console gaming. That has totally flipped around.

That graphics board itself is far more expensive than a Series X or PS5 at retail. I paid retail for both of my consoles. By the time you build the entire rig, with a nice gaming monitor, you're likely looking at well over $2,000.

PC gaming, at least at the semi high-end, is getting way out of reach for the average budget.
I disagree. PC gaming is basically "future proofing" your gaming experience. You can always update one piece at a time over the years. When you consider the cost of constantly purchasing the new console as it comes out, over the long haul you spend way more money that way. I build my current system just after the Xbox 360 was released for about $800. Had I just kept upgrading Microsoft consoles when the new ones came out (XBox One, One S, One X, Series S and Series X), I would be out of $2100.00 dollars.

There are fans on both sides (console gamers and PC gamers), I just happen to reside on the side of PC gamers. Mainly due to the fact that my system is "future proof", can upgrade any component at any time, will not need to worry about backwards compatability of my fav games, and that my graphics will always be state of the art.

Old 02-04-2022, 03:16 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,013,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
I disagree. PC gaming is basically "future proofing" your gaming experience. You can always update one piece at a time over the years. When you consider the cost of constantly purchasing the new console as it comes out, over the long haul you spend way more money that way. I build my current system just after the Xbox 360 was released for about $800. Had I just kept upgrading Microsoft consoles when the new ones came out (XBox One, One S, One X, Series S and Series X), I would be out of $2100.00 dollars.

There are fans on both sides (console gamers and PC gamers), I just happen to reside on the side of PC gamers. Mainly due to the fact that my system is "future proof", can upgrade any component at any time, will not need to worry about backwards compatability of my fav games, and that my graphics will always be state of the art.
The XBox one and One S were really new consoles. They came out at about the same time, just that one has better hardware. Same for he Series S and X, which did come out at the same time.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:13 AM

927 posts, read 586,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Congratulations.

2,000$ isn't exactly spare change on da sofa! Though to Trump and Soros it sure is!

Old 02-07-2022, 10:51 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
The XBox one and One S were really new consoles. They came out at about the same time, just that one has better hardware. Same for he Series S and X, which did come out at the same time.
Yeah nobody bought all of those consoles. It's hard to argue the value of consoles. I'm a PC gamer, not a console one. Haven't owned a console since SNES and Sega Genesis days. The previosu rig I built in 2015. It was a good, mid-range computer at around the $1,500 mark. An xBox One and One S would have been $700 or an xBox One and One X $900. If you were pretty serious about getting a good gaming experience on eyecandy titles, buying one of those upgrades was pretty mcuh a given but not many bought all three of them. With the third generation of xBox consoles spanning that long 2013 all the way to 2010 time period, a lot of people did buy two third gen xBoxes... but that was still cheaper than a PC. Even if you were trying to eek out your 2013 PC you'd most likely at least replace the video card which one of those is as much as a console costs. With the old rig with a 970 getting old rather than doing that though I just bought a new prebuilt. Old rig had a good run, gave it to a younger relative who wanted a gaming PC. It'll work for him for a few more years until he can get a paper route, mow lawns, or weasle the funds out of his parents. I'd have rather built but availability of parts being what it was getting a prebuilt was easier. All in that was $2,500 after throwing another $200 to replace the meh 750 watt PSU that wasn't stable. Could have RMAed the entire thing, normally I'd do just that but part shortages.

Last edited by Malloric; 02-07-2022 at 11:01 AM..

Old 02-07-2022, 01:40 PM

Also had to buy a new Power Supply. The new card needs a 750W minimum. Guess what I had?

Yep... 700.
Spent another $80 on a bronze 850W.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Also had to buy a new Power Supply. The new card needs a 750W minimum. Guess what I had?

Yep... 700.
Spent another $80 on a bronze 850W.
Another really good price. Back in October I ordered an EVGA SuperNOVA 850 Platinum P2 for $250.00 out the door. You know, I think I need to take advantage of these lower component prices and upgrade my rig. Just motherboard, memory and processor is all I need. Think I'll go take a look at prices now.

Old 02-08-2022, 08:49 AM

You paid a premium for Platinum though?!?
Mines a BRONZE for $80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games