Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 07:34 PM

47 posts, read 145,105 times

Advertisements

What is up with the 6 year olds playing video games rated 'M'? And playing them online without supervision? And playing them at 3:30am on a school night?

Where are these kids' parents And does anyone else find this really annoying?

They're easy enough to spot...they have gamertags like "Soccer99", lol, and their voices are high-pitched enough that they clearly don't have any body hair yet. And they bust in your game lobby like, "HEY! HEY! CAN YOU PLEASE PUT BIGJIM2000 ON MY TEAM? HEY! CAN YOU TURN GRENADES ON? HEY!"

Anyway, my point is not that they are annoying....although they ARE annoying....my point is that these are younglings who needn't experience the "real world" of bloody and violent games just yet, and certainly shouldn't be mixed in with high school and college aged people playing a game in which your skill at talking trash and smack is just as important as your kill to death ratio.

what do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 06:22 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
There could be more than one reason for children to be on at 3 in the morning. What if they're in another country? The time difference could easily explain that part.

As for playing "M" rated games.... Some parents just don't want to obey the ratings.

Oh, and I probably sound like a child with a high voice over Xbox Live - the mics really do make everyone sound weird.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
There could be more than one reason for children to be on at 3 in the morning. What if they're in another country? The time difference could easily explain that part.

As for playing "M" rated games.... Some parents just don't want to obey the ratings.

Oh, and I probably sound like a child with a high voice over Xbox Live - the mics really do make everyone sound weird.
The time difference could explain some of them, but I've asked most of them because it bothers me so much. I will ask them how old they are, and they say their age (I've ran into 5 year olds...that's crazy), and where they are from. Most are in my timezone or the one that is one hour off from me. Haha, I even ask them if their parents know that they play...or maybe they got a hold of their big brother's console. Most don't answer me.

I don't think that parents realize the things that are SAID on xbox live. I guess I was just hoping some unsuspecting parent would read this and pull their 4-10 year old out of the game.

I sound like a young child at first too because I'm a girl, but you can tell a very young child immediately. I'm not talking about 11 & 12 year olds....they are old enough to have heard and seen all that stuff already anyway. I'm talking about the under-10 crowd.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:41 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Does it make a diffrence if their setting is set to family?

Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
No, unfortunately I don't think it helps much. I mean, it might help with the "in-game" violence like curse words coming from the game itself or the amount of blood that you see when you kill someone, but when you play online, any amount of control like that is taken away because you're playing against other people and they can say and do whatever they want. It's pretty crazy!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:44 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
a 5 yr old kid should NOT be on xbox live chatting it up with older people. I have heard some utterly disgusting things while online. I would NEVER let my kid chat it up online with anyone. Maybe when he is 15/16 but not now.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:06 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
a 5 yr old kid should NOT be on xbox live chatting it up with older people. I have heard some utterly disgusting things while online. I would NEVER let my kid chat it up online with anyone. Maybe when he is 15/16 but not now.
I agree. 5

Old 06-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Yes, I would say 12 or 13 is not a bad age, only because at that age they hear it all at school anyway, unfortunately.

I have heard some very disgusting things online; racial slurs, sexual content, drugs, crime....you name it!

Old 12-09-2008, 05:50 AM

6 posts, read 10,258 times
Umm.. Yea. I know, this is an old Thread but could someone tell some dumb german what a "M rated" game is?

Old 12-09-2008, 06:07 AM

4,079 posts, read 10,394,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Germ View Post
Umm.. Yea. I know, this is an old Thread but could someone tell some dumb german what a "M rated" game is?
Mature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games