Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Console is Best for Travellers?
Sony PSP 14 63.64%
Nintendo DS 6 27.27%
Other - Please State and Explain 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:16 PM

371 posts, read 1,106,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
I actually own a PSP, and let me assure, you must be an unorganized idiot to lose a disc of any kind...

An average PSP game is "thick and clunky?" No. No, no, no, no. You cannot feel the weight. And the average price range is $30 (SOCOM 2 is $15 @ Best Buy). This is very cheap, good entertainment when compared to a 360 or PS3 game which starts of at $60. PSP games start of at $40. Plus the new Slim and Lite PSP is what is says... light. I believe a 1GB memory card costs 30 dollars, a 2GB costs a little more. Having music on mine, I can say that it is cool, especially the visual players.

In the end...

PSP- $170
2GB Memory - $35
Brand New Game - $40
Screen Protector - $10

Total: $255

I excluded the DVD ripper because I dont know of an good ones. Besides, youd have to get one for the iPod too, and iPods are notorious for being impossible to rip DVDs on.

Now im not saying the iPod is horrible. Its just overpriced for being just a music/movie player. Thats its main strength. The Touch can only use internet at a hotspot, and unless your a walking hotspot....

For the PSP you get your moneys worth. Ive had mine for years and it is a very reliable piece of hardware. Still going strong, unlike my iPod which died after a year and a half
1. how do u carry your games, in your pocket, to keep it organized u got to get a disc carrier and they r small. 2. i wasnt talking about the games that were thick and clunky i was talking about the system 3. Its not as light as the ipod touch. 4. Your forgetting that nobody is only going to buy one game and no umd movies which adds to the price. 5 It is not overpriced because you get what you pay for. Its not mainly a music/movie player, it is a media device, with web browser, apps( Apple - iPhone - App Store ), contacts, calendar, calculator, photos, notes, mail, weather, stocks, clock app, web clips, itunes all in one device ( Apple - iPod touch - Features (broken link) ) Also you dont need a specific hotspot its wifi you can connect to most wifi routers. The psp needs you to be near a hotspot, on my psp i could barely get a signal in places i went and in the same places i went with my ipod it had so many different routers i could switch between. 5. music on the ipod is way more cooler than psp because u can slide through ur music with a stroke of your finger and view album artwork in the famous coverflow. 6 The UI is much better in design and ease of use than the psp 7 You dont need an dvd ripper for the ipod have you read my previous post

Quote:
I voted other like an ipod. I have an ipod touch and of course it has a 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 pixels per inch. I also have a psp and an nintendo ds. I prefer my ipod because the psp is crappy. On my ipod you can listen to music, audio books podcast, watch movies tv shows music videos and podcast, Serf the internet with a real web browser and the best web browser on a mobile device, Safari. that is better than the one for the psp. It also plays games not as well as the psp but its not made for gaming but the games are cool like super monkey ball where you have to tilt the device to control the game. you can also get apps download music on the go watch youtube videos. You can get the music, videos etc all from the itunes store right before you leave. for videos it may take up to 30 minutes to download and thats usually a movie. It doesnt come with removable storage but they sell them in 8gb 16gb, and 32gb. It also has the latest technology in wifi (802.11b/g). Plus u dont need to carry around cartridges or disc, you can just store everything on to it. You can also put photos on it. to find out more on ipod touch Apple - iPod touch songs are $.99 movies new $15.99 old $9.99 rental movies new $3.99 old $2.99 tv shows and music videos $1.99 sometimes cheaper all podcast are free

or you can get the iphone which in the name says that its also a phone which gives internet service where ever you go and fast without having to rely on wifi and you get more features check out the website Apple - iPhone i prefer the iphone if you want to transfer services and dish out some cash and get the best one you can have in america and across the world

Old 08-04-2008, 11:23 PM

also you probably dont know how to take care of your stuff because i bought an ipod nano when it came out in 2005 and it still works today

Old 08-05-2008, 01:58 AM

this is the correct link for the app store on the ipod touch Apple - iPod touch - App Store (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/appstore/ - broken link)

Old 08-05-2008, 05:21 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCBoy1212 View Post
also you probably dont know how to take care of your stuff because i bought an ipod nano when it came out in 2005 and it still works today
It depends on the amount of usage, the amount of data percentage being used, frequency of charging, and luck as well. Some people get iPods that die rather quickly, while others get iPods that live forever. Another problem with the iPod battery is that you cannot replace it. If it dies, you're outta luck. With the PSP, you can easily buy a replacement.

Now, you've mentioned the added costs of the PSP (and DS for that matter) but I've noticed that the Touch forces users to pay for new features. Whereas I just got Internet Radio and Skype added to my PSP without any additional cost. Oh yes, by the way, Skype.

As far as being a media device only, the Touch would be an excellent choice. But when you pit it against the PSP or DS as a Gaming System, it pales in comparison.

And like any responsible portable system owner, I've got a lovely carrying bag that holds my PSP, DS, and SP along with several games for each.

Did I mention that I can use my PSP to call people now? I think I might just ditch my cellphone........

Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
It depends on the amount of usage, the amount of data percentage being used, frequency of charging, and luck as well. Some people get iPods that die rather quickly, while others get iPods that live forever. Another problem with the iPod battery is that you cannot replace it. If it dies, you're outta luck. With the PSP, you can easily buy a replacement.

Now, you've mentioned the added costs of the PSP (and DS for that matter) but I've noticed that the Touch forces users to pay for new features. Whereas I just got Internet Radio and Skype added to my PSP without any additional cost. Oh yes, by the way, Skype.

As far as being a media device only, the Touch would be an excellent choice. But when you pit it against the PSP or DS as a Gaming System, it pales in comparison.

And like any responsible portable system owner, I've got a lovely carrying bag that holds my PSP, DS, and SP along with several games for each.

Did I mention that I can use my PSP to call people now? I think I might just ditch my cellphone........
Yes you can replace it Apple - Support - iPod - Out-of-warranty Battery Replacement Program - FAQ You dont have to pay for new features like right now, Once the features already came out they are pre installed in all the ipod touches before they are sold. You only pay if you already have one and you dont pay $50 for the features you only pay 10 Why do you need internet radio? It barely works if you dont have a signal. Skype was announced at the apple conference as one of the developers who are making an app for the app store. They are alot of cool apps in the app store didnt you check my link

Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
Quote:
Yes you can replace it Apple - Support - iPod - Out-of-warranty Battery Replacement Program - FAQ You dont have to pay for new features like right now, Once the features already came out they are pre installed in all the ipod touches before they are sold. You only pay if you already have one and you dont pay $50 for the features you only pay 10 Why do you need internet radio? It barely works if you dont have a signal. Skype was announced at the apple conference as one of the developers who are making an app for the app store. They are alot of cool apps in the app store didnt you check my link
You cannot replace the battery. Apple does. And they charge some pretty decent bucks for it. And you just attempted to refute my statement by agreeing with it.

If you have the Touch and a new feature or an update comes out - you will pay for it.

Why do I need Internet Radio? Because the internet radios (on the computers) at work have been disabled - and a building (with no windows) made to withstand a nuclear attack does not get good radio signal. And after a few weeks of listening to the same songs, something different is a wonder.

And I did check the link, however I don't have iTunes, so I won't be able to check it out. There's another negative for the Touch. Having to use a program to buy and put stuff on. Internal memory vice the ability to pull out a memory card.

These two aspects are very bad in my eyes. I love being able to pop my memory card into my computer and put my music and anime episodes on. I can also put my own games on. Then my husband can put his stuff on a memory card - and we can switch as needed.

So while I pay for new games, you would have to buy any updates/upgrades and new features.

We could seriously go back and forth on cool features and other nifty tricks with each (PSP vs Touch), but in honesty, if I'm buying something to play video games on... I don't really care what the special features are. I think it's "cool" or "interesting", but the features for a system of any sort isn't really going to sway me. The games will.

So we agree that the Touch has more features.
And we agree that the PSP has better games.

It all depends on what floats your boat.

((Gawd this makes me want to jump back on Valhalla Knights....))

Old 08-05-2008, 12:28 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:

I agree w/ this 100%! since the OP was trying to decide between a PSP and a DS, it's safe to assume the OP is looking for a gaming system. and while you can download games onto iPods, Apple will NEVER EVER have the gaming clout of Nintendo and Sony, so an iPod is not a suitable replacement for a gaming system. for the purposes the OP has specified, a PSP would be best since it has more features than a DS, but it does depend on what games the OP like (I'm a sucker for Mario, Zelda, and the Pokemon games, so I got a DS. plus, GTA may be coming to the DS and i can play Guitar Hero on my DS!). I'll likely pick up an ipod Touch around Xmas (when the price goes down!) just b/c of the apps and internet (I heard there are free apps out there by 3rd party companies if you hack the Touch. l I'll have to learn how to do this at some point)

Old 08-05-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
You cannot replace the battery. Apple does. And they charge some pretty decent bucks for it. And you just attempted to refute my statement by agreeing with it.

If you have the Touch and a new feature or an update comes out - you will pay for it.

Why do I need Internet Radio? Because the internet radios (on the computers) at work have been disabled - and a building (with no windows) made to withstand a nuclear attack does not get good radio signal. And after a few weeks of listening to the same songs, something different is a wonder.

And I did check the link, however I don't have iTunes, so I won't be able to check it out. There's another negative for the Touch. Having to use a program to buy and put stuff on. Internal memory vice the ability to pull out a memory card.

These two aspects are very bad in my eyes. I love being able to pop my memory card into my computer and put my music and anime episodes on. I can also put my own games on. Then my husband can put his stuff on a memory card - and we can switch as needed.

So while I pay for new games, you would have to buy any updates/upgrades and new features.

We could seriously go back and forth on cool features and other nifty tricks with each (PSP vs Touch), but in honesty, if I'm buying something to play video games on... I don't really care what the special features are. I think it's "cool" or "interesting", but the features for a system of any sort isn't really going to sway me. The games will.

So we agree that the Touch has more features.
And we agree that the PSP has better games.

It all depends on what floats your boat.

((Gawd this makes me want to jump back on Valhalla Knights....))
It doesnt matter because since the battery of my touch wont run out any time soon ill be able to get the next new thing by the time it dies. 1 having a program to have and put stuff on does not make any sense because when you buy something on itunes it stores on the computer, it is also to keep your media organized and easy to put your media on your device instead of having to go through steps just plug it in and everything is on. And a sony 8gb memory stick is $100 and the ipod touch comes in 8 16 and 32 so you dont have to worry about having to switch you can have all of your media on there already. Or if you sync the ipod it can get rid of your stuff and install somebody else really fast so its basically like having an external memory. And what are you talking about because all you have to do is plug your ipod and you can basically put all your media. You dont have to pay for updates they are really upgrades and you dont know if in the future you r going to have to pay for it like the iphone you dont have to pay for new features and it went down from 600 to 200 dollars. And it has so many new features that rarely there will be an upgrade. There hasnt been an upgrade since january

Quote:
if I'm buying something to play video games on... I don't really care what the special features are
In this thread it didnt say specifically for video games it asked what best for travel in which it means that something to kill time or boredom (hence the other button as a choice) . The psp is mainly a video game system but you have the ipod touch which is mainly media and it plays games almost just as good as the psp with major companies developing apps like EA and more. Games like super monkey ball that rolls with the accelerometer.

Overall the psp and ds are dead. I stop playing them and my friends stop playing them and there friends and so on and people i just met stop playing them.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
I'll likely pick up an ipod Touch around Xmas (when the price goes down!) just b/c of the apps and internet (I heard there are free apps out there by 3rd party companies if you hack the Touch. l I'll have to learn how to do this at some point)
There are lots of free apps on the app store, you should get your facts straight, but there are apps you have to pay for too and if you saw the apple event you would know that the anyone who develops an app can control whether to give it for free or not.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Quote:
There are lots of free apps on the app store, you should get your facts straight, but there are apps you have to pay for too and if you saw the apple event you would know that the anyone who develops an app can control whether to give it for free or not.
whoa, chill out fanboy! I'm not sure what you mean about "getting my facts straight". I simply said that I HEARD (meaning I heard from another source, not that I KNOW) that there are free 3rd party apps out there for the iPod Touch. didn't say Apple didn't provide free apps, nor did I say all 3rd party apps are free, I simply said this b/c there is a 3rd party app that's being developed that I thought sounded cool that I'd download, should I get a Touch. and no, I don't go to Apple events, I'm not a fanboy/fangirl. I like my iPod but am not obsessed w/ Apple products and put down other products and other people who aren't as obsessed about the gloriousness that is Apple

Simmer down and don't accuse me not having my facts straight (b/c, if you actually had read my post, you'd see I make no absolute facts, just posted my opinions, preferences, and info I've heard)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games