Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 01:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousPosterIsSerious View Post
I can assure you that there are a LOT of people out there who are at least casual gamers who do not fit into either the 12 year old boy or 41 year old weirdo in his mom's basement category. Most of my friends are gamers, albiet not as much as I am, and we're all normal, functioning 20-something year olds. We have girfriends, we have fulltime jobs, we go out to the bars and clubs, we have our own places...

Video games have come a long way in the way they are presented, especially in the past few years. Look at commercials for games nowadays. They look like movie previews. They have sweeping, epic music, quotes and review from critics, huge action sequences, all of that. It's serious, and it's a real, legit business. It's not just kid's stuff anymore. Look at the new Ghostbusters game that will be coming out (hopefully): It was written by Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis, and stars ALL of the original voice cast from the old movies. They're treating it like the third part of the Ghostbusters franchise. And look at the Metal Gear Solid series: David Hayter, the voice of Solid Snake, co-wrote the screenplays for the first two X-Men movies, the only two X-Men movies that are worth a damn, by the way.

Things will come around. They already are. Things like the Wii and Guitar Hero are bringing casual audiences to gaming. They're bringing in mothers, daughters, fathers, and grandparents. Adult-oriented games like Bioshock and Mass Effect are making people realize that games can have interactive storytelling and be compelling on a whole different level. And Grand Theft Auto, Madden and Halo are pretty much all words that most people are at least familiar with. Either way, no matter what anyone else says or does, it's not going to change my opinion on games, or how often I play them.
Amen..lol..People can insist that im some antisocial loser all they want..but if Im that, and I seem to encounter the same people who like to lob labels at others everywhere I go (bars, clubs, malls, theaters, restaurants, concerts) then what does that in turn make those same people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 02:42 PM

488 posts, read 819,527 times
I think that anyone born after 1960 or so could have grown up playing video games, since they were kids when the first generation consoles (Atari and Nintendo) came out. Lots of these people will probably continue to play until their eyes go or they get arthritis and can't use the controllers

Old 10-17-2008, 09:57 AM

66 posts, read 194,681 times
I have a small list of games that I want to pick up at some point in time. Next week, I'll likely be getting Bioshock for Playstation 3, which I have been waiting to play for probably close to two years. I'm also contemplating WWE Smackdown v. Raw 2009. I'll wait to see what the reviews and the fans say about it first, because the last few years of that series haven't been too good.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:20 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
My wife (58) watched me (52) bowling and golfing on my Wii until she finally gave in and had to try it. Now, I think if she fell over dead. it would take a couple weeks to get the Wiimote out of her hands! lol

Old 10-22-2008, 03:14 PM

12 posts, read 40,187 times
30yrs old and I used to be a big gamer going from snes and megadrive to pc games and pretty much dropped out of university first time round due to being addicted to online gaming with quake and counterstrike. Since then, i've dropped in and out playing things like GTA san andreas and mario galaxy but more and more am getting bored with gaming.

I put this down to two things - don't have the time to invest in games which are seemingly getting more complex (wii games aside), and everything seems to play the same as old games but with nicer graphics.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:28 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielB View Post
30yrs old and I used to be a big gamer going from snes and megadrive to pc games and pretty much dropped out of university first time round due to being addicted to online gaming with quake and counterstrike. Since then, i've dropped in and out playing things like GTA san andreas and mario galaxy but more and more am getting bored with gaming.

I put this down to two things - don't have the time to invest in games which are seemingly getting more complex (wii games aside), and everything seems to play the same as old games but with nicer graphics.
Just get some emulators and play the good old games on your computer then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark85
I think that anyone born after 1960 or so could have grown up playing video games
Someone born in 1960 was about 12 when Pong came out (1972), 18 for Space Invaders (1978) and 25 for the NES release in the United States (1985).

Pac-Man, Galaga and Donkey Kong hit the arcades in 1981. Anyone who was 15 then is 42 now.

For that matter, anyone who was 15 when the PlayStation was first released in 1995 is 28 now, and that's only when gaming started making the transition into what it is today.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:04 PM

93 posts, read 204,815 times
I don't see why gaming should have any age limit. We just adapt to the newer modes of game play. I'm just starting my fifties now, and I still enjoy my games. I spend a lot of money on computer upgrades and on various expansion packs and games. Finding time to play... well that's another thing, but I love the games, puzzles and interactive ways of entertainment. TV is so DEAD to me. LOL, puts me to sleep, But a game? Oh, bring it on.

NOW... taking it to another level, read this! (note the ages too)
(AP) A 43-year-old Japanese piano teacher's sudden divorce from her online husband in a virtual game world made her so angry that she logged on and killed his digital persona, police said Thursday. ....<go here for the rest>
She could get Jail time!!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
I've been on the lam for two decades since dropping Bowser into a pit of lava.

If I get caught, my defense is "I didn't do it - Mario did!"

Old 10-24-2008, 08:27 AM

66 posts, read 194,681 times
Well I've got two Big Daddies on my trail for messing around with their Little Sisters. If it's wrong to harvest them, then why are you given the option? Why are you given the option?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:16 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
In my thirties, and one of my favorite past times is video gaming. Spending lots of time with CoD4, Dead Space, and Tales of Vesperia at the moment. Some people drink for an escape; I play video games, among other things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games