Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 07:45 AM

170 posts, read 1,015,126 times

Advertisements

Struggling to come up with alternatives to the Wii for DS Birthday/holiday presents. His Mom is dead set on getting a Wii.

He already has a GameCube with 90+ games, PlayStation with 40+ games. Understand that the Wii will play the GameCube Games. He's only played ~30% of those games. His parents do not play video games & he only plays video games when friends visit.

But the net cost of a Wii will blow his whole Birthday and 'Holiday' gifts from all relatives (parents/GrandParents/ 5 sets of aunts'n'uncles) for this year.

I'm thinking PingPong Table, Baseball Equip, Soccer equip. Even just the PingPong table might get as much play time as this additional gaming console & at a fraction of the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:51 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,348,424 times
What no Wii. Oh my! Why that's like taking the Carolina Blue from the Carolina sky! That is like taking the 'D' out of the RDU airport! Your not RU??!! That is like cheering for NC State when your a UNC student! Those things just don't happen!

People get hooked on Wii from 5 to 95 years old! Its a fact of nature! Good luck with your decision! I'll just Wii on out of here!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:30 AM

521 posts, read 1,599,608 times
The Wii is so 2007. If you want his friends to point at him and laugh, go ahead and get a Wii. While you're at it, throw in some 8-track cassettes, a fondu set, and a pet rock.

This boy needs a book. I present to you: The Dangerous Book for Boys. It is unfashionably priced; under $20.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,967,042 times
Totally go with the sporting goods.

He's probably too old for it now, but one of the funniest gifts I've heard of was a guy who got his kid a hammer, a box of roofing nails and a stump. The kid fricken loved it (he was around 5).

Old 10-29-2008, 08:57 AM

170 posts, read 1,015,126 times
He's a total book-worm, only funny stories (e.g. Diary of Wimpy Kid). Ordered the 'Dangerous' book -looks more like a project manual but we'll see.

But DW will win/wii unless I come up with a good replacement list.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,509,567 times
9 and he has all those videos already? That is kind of sad to me! How about a pogo stick? stilts? A unicycle? The ping pong table you suggested is a great idea. Air hockey. In-line skates. Science experiments (make your own volcano, etc. All available in boxed forms if you don't want to start from scratch). A lizard. Just not MORE videos, yuk!!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 AM

95 posts, read 328,142 times
want to donate one of those game systems to my kids? LOL... They would love either one of those. Too bad pops is unemployed currently

Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 AM

983 posts, read 3,991,356 times
Well, in defense of the Wii....you can get the games where you HAVE to be up moving and not be just a couch potato wiggling your fingers. The Wii games ARE very interactive and make you move.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:22 AM

167 posts, read 567,377 times
when i was a kid, whenever we wanted something new we had to donate something old (this actually lasted all the way through high school when i was making my own money-- if my mom saw me prance home from the mall with a new pair of jeans, she would march me straight to my closet to find a pair to donate to goodwill). maybe you could bring this up to your family. if your son really wants the wii, is he willing to part with an older gaming system and all its accoutrements? then you can make the same requirements as you acquire too many games.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 AM

24 posts, read 67,240 times
nvm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Video Games